The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'll add too that the best way to have a bucket is with a strong climber. I had a guy who worked for me for a number of years who was a much better climber than me to clarify. Not calling myself a strong climber while in the company of the types of climbers who hang out here, but I could get it done. But what I mean is when you have a strong or even capable climber and a bucket then you don't end up wasting time trying to get a bucket into places it has no business being. But just use it on the jobs it's suited for. Best of both worlds.
Yes, agreed Justin -- our thinking exactly. We have a strong climber on staff and another one who can get it done (albeit at about 50% the speed of our main guy). But we plan on getting a bucket for those 20% optimal jobs and hopefully will grow that side of the business as well, getting more competitive for the less skilled, easy access jobs. It will open things up more for the crew, too -- to reconfigure at times into 2 teams where I could be doing a bucket job while the climber starts on a climbing-oriented job.

Problem with owning equipment that is efficient is it becomes addictive. I now want a crane. Might even skip that and get a tree mec. Either one is a ways off but the thought is definitely present

Not really a work pic but close enough and I have to clean it up
View attachment 89245View attachment 89244
I personally used this saw 22 years ago removing a silver maple for a neighbor. He recently gave me the saw because he said I might be one of the few that would appreciate it. I’m going to clean it up and put it on a shelf in my garage as decoration. How many others here can say they’ve used one of these? I know there are a few

We had a Super XL in the same paint color and stripes and I think the red one we had was a super XL as well. Strong and LOUD.

A crane will bring a smile to your face, too. Just build slow, nice and careful. You'll see.

Smiles will abound!

We are very happy with our odd-duck grapple crane -- got it after 6 months of rolling. Use it whenever we can (distance, drivers, fuel play into the equation). It makes some jobs go way, way faster versus bucking cookies and chipping logs. But it goes hand-in hand with having a large lot for a huge log pile, and having a 37-ton log splitter and a TimberKing sawmill.

GP, seems like for an outfit your size, and having some various skill sets and lots of people in-house to sell work and get it done, with capability to grow, a lift seems like it would be very useful. What is the tree height in your area? Spider lifts seem to be where its going. I could get a spider-lift into today's job, but not a bucket-truck. Same with tomorrow's job.

What I use sometimes is a 50' tow-behind lift, moved into place with my mini. I've gotten to dead trees where I could get the mini and lift, just just just barely for some dead trees that left me puzzled otherwise. Wouldn't have been able to access the area with my truck and lift.

My friend used to have a 61' Bil-jax tow-behind lift, available as a rental. His market was flat, open lawns. 60-70' trees mostly. Fit for him.

fwiw.

We rented the Haulotte lift again yesterday for a series of pin oak crown clean/deadwood prunings (stacked up 6 trees). Most trees in our area are hardwood, avg. is 40-60 ft. but we do deal with occasional 80 ft. trees. Thus far the tow-behind nature (non-self propelled) does feel cumbersome, and at times the 55' lift capacity is for sure a limiting factor. 65' to 75' would be better.

Lombardy day today, 6 of them.
Lady luck smiled on us, wind in just the right direction to drop the tops next to the chipper.

Attachments

• E46B3536-33DC-4A4B-BA4C-94BE8BE4171F.jpg
    E46B3536-33DC-4A4B-BA4C-94BE8BE4171F.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 51
  • 36FFD098-A0AB-4798-B47A-0FB2AC4487E4.jpg
    36FFD098-A0AB-4798-B47A-0FB2AC4487E4.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 50
  • C5FC1705-B0A5-4F99-8C3A-D4A766B9E642.jpg
    C5FC1705-B0A5-4F99-8C3A-D4A766B9E642.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 50
Why pray tell is that hunk of blue iron sitting there while guys are chipping, I would think long and skinny lombardy would feed well via the grapple machine

We finally got the chipper knives replaced after months of being literally as dull as bush hog blades. Now we're back to stuffing the hopper full.

20180918_201744.jpg

Why pray tell is that hunk of blue iron sitting there while guys are chipping, I would think long and skinny lombardy would feed well via the grapple machine

Good point, I feel that machine feeding regularly is asking for damage to the stop bar and feed roller mechanisms. More pressure than our light euro machines can handle, we lay branches on the feed tray often but usually just dump the stuff in front, which is what we were mostly doing that day.

Nice work, Mick!

'Bout time, Nut!

My ground help I've had for the past 4 jobs. Not much room for the brush. Other side of shed is a pool. We get the limb down, groundy will cut it up with a hand saw while it dangles. Not much room for a speedline, the brush would just end up in the pool.

20180919_112855.jpg

Nice iron, Mick!

Gary, haha! On the otherside of the fence the neighbours have an open compost bin. I was dropping the small twings into that. ;)

Back