The Official Work Pictures Thread

I think you’re right Bob, we call them Acacias (which they’re not) or Robinias.

Black locust is actually a better name, more evocative somehow.

Bob, I screwed up on the latin, Mick corrected me, and I changed my post.
Made it all even more confusing.

Must have really had my head up my ass to do that.
I've only been teaching the latin names to apprentices for 25 years.

Nice pics!

Always a bit simpler to TD a tree which has been heavily pruned and is clean, definitely makes for less clean up.

Once the branches were gone, how was the trunk dealt with?

Just wondering if it could be felled or did it have to be dealt with aloft

Sweet, Pete!

Did people forget to take their phones to work lately...let's see some pics and views! Changing seasons and all that.

Nice pics!

Always a bit simpler to TD a tree which has been heavily pruned and is clean, definitely makes for less clean up.

Once the branches were gone, how was the trunk dealt with?
The tree was very brittle & a real nightmare to chip & tidy up. A lot of branches shattered when they hit the ground so it was beneficial to rig.
We had enough room to pull 3 x 10ft sections off and fell the remaining 30ft, but we had to be really careful with the bowing 250 year old wall and fell 90 degrees to it. (The wall was the reason for the removal)

For some reason I can't post pics from my phone...and I am too lazy to take the card out and transfer it to my tablet where I can...yeah, lazy. :)

Can't you plug you phone into your tablet, or wifi it, Fi?

How terrible would it be to have the 30' stick hit the ground and see the impact and shockwave crumble the ancient wall? Neighbors tell me I shake stuff in their house, time to time.

Good show.

While the rest of the crew are doing pre-commercial thinning up North, two of us took care of this hazard tree for the State Forest.

It was heavily infected with Meripilus giganteus so to avoid the whole thing breaking at root level from the force of dropping big tops, we went small.

Perfect weather and we had our "clean up crew" only 1½ miles away, so she came over and made short work of that:)

P1060499.JPG P1060502.JPG P1060505.JPG P1060512.JPG P1060521.JPG P1060527.JPG P1060529.JPG P1060532.JPG

Ha, first picture I thought, that trees not that big...then I scrolled down ��

Ha, first picture I thought, that trees not that big...then I scrolled down ��

I have to be careful of that optical illusion when bidding trees. If a big tree is in front of a bunch of really big trees, it looks medium. A big tree on its own can hide its size, too.

A big ol' son of a beech?

Trees always get bigger when you come back to do the job. The only way to prevent that is to do the job the day you bid it.

True story. Just don't turn your back.

I always go up and touch the tree. I can touch my hands around about 20" dbh. My hand is 8" across, both ways, roughly, elbow to pinky about 20", boots 12" Between them, I can roughly measure things. Helps me.

Back