The Official Work Pictures Thread

Poplar reduction work.

6fc646ece222194a5276a18c153528e1.jpg

Is that your jobsite RV in the bottom right? Always though one of those awnings on the side of a PNW tree truck would be a nice addition.

Went to Charleston SC in November. Got to see some cool trees, and killed the first Palm of my career. This little lizard was hiding behind one of the old fronds, scared the hell out of me! Only saw the tail at first and thought POISON SNAKE! Major upside of tree work in Maine, nothing poisonous.

PalmTop.jpg

PalmLizard.jpg

Cool to work on different kinds of trees.

Having cut all those northeastern trees in the past, what was palm like?

That particular palm was super stringy and way heavier than I expected. Spurs just bury into the stem, which is nice tho

Palms here in SoCal are essentially wildlife condominium complexes, pigeons, doves, owls, bats, rats etc.

I've been helping my sis with a bum knee do the heavy lifting at the various exotic plant societies she belongs to. One of the goofier members at one of them's constantly handing out pamphlets advocating doing away with all nonindigenous plant species, with Washingtonian robusta's at the top of her list of harmful invasive plant species.

Now I promised sis to be nice with the elderly eccentric members of these societies, but this goofie invasive species cornered me recently, wanting to know why I didn't take any of her pamphlets n gave her the cold shoulder? So I politely informed her I wanted nothing to do with racists, particularly misinformed plant racists, spreading false info about nonindigenous plants in California. That CA used to be Mexican n that robusta's were every bit as indigenous as filiferas are here, that they were home to a wide array of wildlife, that I wanted nothing to do with her, or her silly misinformed genocidal jihad against plants n animals, that it offended me her movement was listened to by anyone, and taken seriously anywhere.

California wouldn't be California without it's palms, and immigrants like eucs n Cook Island n Norfolk Island pines make it even a better place to live n work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 158
Nice skink ID, Mick. How do you happen to know them, I assume there aren't any where you live.

Agreed, it's a weird one.

I saw the picture and thought Blue Tailed Skink. I love the word Skink.

Must have come from somewhere back in the day when I spent my boyhood days poring over nature books.

Whoever named that went with a nice straight forward approach.

Its fun, btw to go thru the old, locked, work pics thread. Check in every 50 pages or so.

Been dinking around with this beasty the last couple days. Tree was originally one I had hoped to do a rec climb in with maybe some here.
The larger limbs were calling for a 20" bar. Only got a couple 1/2 days on it thus far. Burns about a tank of gas in the 200 T every 25' :lol:
It's about 2/3 brushed out as of today..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D-YxEHtHde4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 20170204_124511.jpg
    20170204_124511.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20170204_124514.jpg
    20170204_124514.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20170204_124518.jpg
    20170204_124518.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20170204_124625.jpg
    20170204_124625.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG951754.jpg
    IMG951754.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 136
I SRT'd the first bit. Too much trunk to be efficient otherwise. I was finally able to just use the 200T today :)
The bigger saw was getting old out on limbs. Glad it's not a rigging job :|:

those SC skinks are the predecessors of our endemic Bermuda skink. Our juveniles have blue tails, lose them into adulthood, no stripes and an orangish head. Very endangered now.
Only endemic vertebrate in BDA.
Palms...what's to say about cutting palms...acidic saw eating sap, chain clogging fibre and wet sawdust, HEAVY, full of bugs and dirt and sometimes vicious spines. Don't much like working on palms...EXCEPT coconuts, at least you get a cool refreshing drink at the end of the job!

Cha Stephen! BIG tree
(Cha is Bermudian slang for wow...BTW)

Back