Climber/ Treeworker Injuries and Treatments

I really like sun tea, sweet tea as well though I've never made that. We've got a bbq spot in the area "Georgia Boys" they serve up some good stuff!

I use one big teabag that's about 3 in square maybe 4in Square and it's supposed to make one gallon of tea. I put it in about a 3rd of a gallon of water and bring that to a bowl and then turn it off while I get the tea pitcher ready. I use a gallon tea pitcher to make my tea. The tea bag steeps a bit at that point.

I put one cup of sugar in the tea pitcher. Then I pour in the hot tea concentrate and stir it to dissolve the the sugar. Then I put more water in the pot over the tea bag to soak it again and then mash the tea concentrate out of the bag one more time and add to the pitcher.

Finally, I add enough water to fill the pitcher up to about 4/5 of a gallon. That makes the tea a little stronger and sweeter by not filling it up completely to a gallon.

Here you go, Jonny....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ojHPybIncHI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks great! Kinda like making a thin simple syrup with tea in it.I will definitely be trying it out, my kids both love iced tea too, but aside from sun tea they probably had Arizona and McDonald's lol.
Thanks Gary!

Woke up in the middle of the night with a painful cramp in my quadricep that felt like someone slipped a golf ball in there. Thought I was rehydrated before bed but I guess not. Also had a massive headache yesterday when I was parched but could also been the 40ppm of carbon monoxide my personal monitor was picking up. Industrial work ain't all it's cracked up to be... mind you I haven't been stung by a wasp since I quit full-time tree work.

Thanks Chris, i had never heard of that!!!

Ryan, that sucks man, be careful out there!!!

Wow, never knew that, imma try it, danks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been having some thumb pain.

Voltaren/ generic equivalent is good stuff. Just a little where it hurts. Don't let your pets ingest it (arthritic hands petting cats. Etc)

Three revolutions if cloth/ athletic tape ( half width) supports the thumb tendons at the wrist.

Stretching (need to start doing), massage ( likewise) and topical NSAID/ support is my plan.

Anyone else?

I couldn't find this thread when I was looking for it to note issues and treatments.

Anyway, what part of your thumb?

I just got some Voltaren, haven't tried it yet. As an NSAID, why not just take an advil? Probably cuz this is more targeted?

When I read the directions for use of Voltaren I lost any interest in trying it. As I recall it, you were to apply every 2 hours, and needed to do so full time for useful effect. That effect was to start being noticeable after 2 weeks. Then you were to not wash your hands or let them get wet for something like 1 hour after each application. This is what I remember...maybe off a little, but not by much I think.

Seemed very inconvenient. I get pretty good relief with orally administered ibuprofen, myself. I'm fortunate that I tolerate it well in long term use, without uncomfortable side effects.

Last edited:
I couldn't find this thread when I was looking for it to note issues and treatments.

Anyway, what part of your thumb?

I just got some Voltaren, haven't tried it yet. As an NSAID, why not just take an advil? Probably cuz this is more targeted?
Way back when I was making teeth I remember a study about the biocompatibility of gold in dental appliances. In this study they noted that there was a disproportionate lack of arthritis in the ring finger of married people who had arthritis in other fingers on the same hand. The assumption was that a gold ring prevented arthritis. I can’t remember many more details than that, but that is what I took away from the study.
So git you a gold thumb ring. Lol

Growing up, a friend of mine's mother took gold pills for arthritis. His father was a doctor, so it wasn't necessarily BS. I don't really know anything about it otherwise.

I've been having some thumb pain.

Voltaren/ generic equivalent is good stuff. Just a little where it hurts. Don't let your pets ingest it (arthritic hands petting cats. Etc)

Three revolutions if cloth/ athletic tape ( half width) supports the thumb tendons at the wrist.

Stretching (need to start doing), massage ( likewise) and topical NSAID/ support is my plan.

Anyone else?
Use it on my buggered knee. Use the Kunzea cream Fiona turned me onto as well. I alternate them. I don't apply every 4 hours. Just in morning and night if it's hurting enough to keep me awake or hard to walk on.
Nirile gloves to apply so I don't transfer it to my animals or face. I use quart baggies or sammich baggies in a pinch if I am getting low on gloves.
Nirile gloves I keep around for mechanic work and if I am serving food at an event. Like BBQ.
I alternate them alone. So if the one cream is not all that after about a week, I use the other for about a week.

I've had the misfortune of early onset arthritis. No fun at all. Since then, I haven't been kind to my hands, getting the most use out of them while I can. A misguided plan, ive since backed off. Adding a few broken bones didn't help.

I was introduced to Tiger Balm through the martial arts crowd, I swear by it. Helps a lot!
But anything that gets you rubbing the joints does too, ive noticed that certian lotions and such help my hands, not so much because of their ingredients as much as their consistency. The more I have to massage it in, the better. Thus, Badger Balm is a favorite!

Coconut oil mixed with pure, raw cannabis, finely ground, is about the only topically administered version of medical Marijuana ive ever found, used specifically as an arthritis remedy, and for irritated skin. Also, it had frankinsence and Myrr, if that means anything.

I like Tiger Balm also. I can't say it really helps, but I like the heat and the way it smells.

Back