The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair statement. But I do tend to believe the smart phone poses unusual and perhaps strong challenges to young folks who have not known life without it.

We talked about it the other day. A friend of mine lost his son to suicide a couple weeks ago.

Once hooked to social media they have no way to get away from it. Whether it be bullying or being bullied.

Pressures, stress, whatnot.

Used to be we would have a fist fight to settle things...or just avoid people. Not go up town for a couple of nights or not answer the phone.

You just can't let your kids get addicted too early. It's no damn good.

Not a shitting thing to do about it once they move out, but you sure as hell have options while they live with you.

Good post

Yep, great post, sorry for the loss of your friend.

I bet if you can keep em off it long enough eventually they'll develop a distaste for it and see how it diminishes the quality of life for others and not get in too deep.

My daughter had a 4H project in the county fair.

Earlier this spring we had a calf die, so the wife dissected it and I pointed out all the organs to them.

Lynley decided to do a presentation on the parts of the calf. She and my wife figured that I would just tell them what each organ did.

Negative.....I made her get an encyclopedia out for each organ and read what it had to say. I did help with condensing down what she had read.

Next time, I hope anyway, she wont need me to do it for her.

Social media takes independence away from these kids. We have to foster some independence in these kids.

Its funny, but kids today are as safe as they have ever been, but as parents we sure are scared of everything.

Talked to a friend of mine the other day. He has three kids pretty close to my kids ages. We talked about how we were just sorta left alone to figure shit out and play as we wanted.

Now that we have kids we dont let them do half the stuff we used to. My daughter still has not stayed over at a friends house. I did that all the time as a kid.

Her friend's parents wont submit to a full house inspection or a back ground check so the sleep over is a no go.

No wonder these kids today are drawn to social media like a moth to a porch zapper.

My daughter still has not stayed over at a friends house. I did that all the time as a kid.

Her friend's parents wont submit to a full house inspection or a back ground check so the sleep over is a no go.

Did your parents do an inspection and back ground check before you slept over? I'm not sure if you're being serious.

On one hand you say kids need to learn independence but on the other you don't let her do stuff you did loads of as a kid..

Sure.

You just think every day. On your combine.

I want my kids to be safe, bottom line. I take it too far sometimes and shield them from things that my parents would not have shielded me from.

I turned out okay..........right?

Its just something that I have to work on all the time.

I have no idea whatsoever what I am going to do when they start driving.

You and your kids will do fine, Jim, just the fact that you contemplate these things is evidence of that. Just enjoy it while it lasts, that's what I try and remember, wont be long before they fly the coop!

As much as I can stand to I let my child make her own decisions and mistakes. I'd rather she make those mistakes while I'm still around to support and help her through them. As opposed to making all the decisions for her until she's tossed out into the world on her own. Taking the power of decision making away from a child undermines their confidence in themselves IMO. In the end you're not saving them from disaster I believe so much as postponing it.

Now grain of salt here is obviously you don't want to put your child in harms way. So there is a line to walk. But helicopter parenting wreaks havoc on a child's self confidence and decision making skills. Again IMO.

As much as I can stand to I let my child make her own decisions and mistakes. I'd rather she make those mistakes while I'm still around to support and help her through them. As opposed to making all the decisions for her until she's tossed out into the world on her own. Taking the power of decision making away from a child undermines their confidence in themselves IMO. In the end you're not saving them from disaster I believe so much as postponing it.

Now grain of salt here is obviously you don't want to put your child in harms way. So there is a line to walk. But helicopter parenting wreaks havoc on a child's self confidence and decision making skills. Again IMO.

Great post, Justin. I was given lots of freedom to learn and grow and make mistakes on my own as a child. I watched many of my peers explode into chaos and madness when they were released from their parents home after a lifetime of being sheltered, no bueno. I call it the blanket fire theory, pull the blanket off and the whole thing goes poof!

.....when they're 12. :)

Ha! Lynley is 8 and already a pretty accomplished driver.

We were putting the cows back in one night after coming home from town.

They were being a holes so it was a bit of a rodeo.

I was bringing my fire truck back home and the wife with the three kids were in the Suburban. Jenn jumped out to string the electric fence back up and I was busy chasing cows back from the downed fence.

All of a sudden I hear a horn honking and an engine being revved up. My horn does not work so I was confused when I saw Jenn standing next to the fence and the Suburban zipping around chasing cows.

There was Lynley...helping. Richard boy jumping up and down hollering out the passenger window and young Daniel still strapped into his car seat yelling "hey" out the window.

It was quite a sight and took a while to process.

:lol: Solid Gold!!!

I wonder if the trend/phenomenon will continue or will society get too sick and unplug?

Some of us still aren't plugged in.
I use my phone to make and take calls and messages, nothing else.

Jim, the vid reminded me of this sketch-

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y1-eU-03LRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back