The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

You never know who reads this stuff, Cory. Don't be bothered by a lack of any response. That's never slowed ME down!

CHaFkQp.gif

Anyway I found the following article fascinating as well as radical, all about research indicating use of sun screen is BS and sun exposure is highly healthful
:thumbup:
I've always been of the mind that Vitamin D is best obtained through the skin organ, not via Vitamin D-enriched milk. And as Butch noted, I'm not in the TL; DR set... just quite busy so I have to be a bit choosy about the articles I do invest in reading.

I was out of free times articles for the month... and I'm glad to hear about the sun being awesome. I never wear sunscreen lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha its all good, Treehousers :thumbup: 8) :drink:

I dont. I only use it on my face, back of neck, and maybe hands when out in blazing sun, like paddle boarding etc

I try to expose more skin area for more Vitamin D while stump grinding... since I'm not a roofer, not on the open water, and not up in the Colorado mountain altitudes.

Where I live here in the okanagan even brown skinned people burn in direct sunlight. With lower spf screen you can still get plenty of tan/burn if you aren't careful.

I use sunscreen all the time.
Even in winter when we don't see the sun at all, I'll slather it all over myself.

Can't be too carefull, you know.

No, I was joking.
People logged in the sun before sunscreen was invented and lived.
I only use sunscreen when I kill giant Hogsweed.

Did you listen to those coupla recordings? I was thinking more about it today and yeah the idea of not being to get away from near constant super-loud noise going on around the clock, that would be absolutely brutal.:cry:

Science is great. What is needed is wise leadership to guide it

I use sunscreen all the time.
Even in winter when we don't see the sun at all, I'll slather it all over myself.
Today was 10 below freezing for a high, but very bright and sunny. I wound up with a bit of a sunburn / red face glow from the radiant reflected light off the snow after working out in it all day.

I ain't reading all that. Cliff Notes that shit for me, plz!

edit * I halfway take that back - after all it's the Articles thread...

Well its just that the gov of state of Washington usa is calling for 'bold' measures to save the declining pod of orcas that live there. Trying to boost the population of chinook salman, reduce pollution, adjust boat and shipping traffic to limit noise etc to the creatures. I'm a fan. :drink:

Orcas can take out a great white, so I'm a big believer in their ability to adapt and survive (unless they're confined to Sea World).

Orcas can take out a great white, so I'm a big believer in their ability to adapt and survive (unless they're confined to Sea World).

I don't know that predator prowess nescessarily equals adaptability.

The southern resident killer whales (SRKW) are the most threatened population. They experienced an unexplained 20.4% population decline between 1995-2001, but then showed periodic decline to their current number of 78 individuals. This is an alarming rate of decline for an already small population.

Good read. Glad to see folks waking up and taking steps to help. The line "industrial and agricultural toxics" caught my attention. As a species we suck at keeping our house clean.

I guess I'm a bit insulated from the coasts. No direct interaction with orca and no chance of ever being involved in a shark attack... so in this case, the oft quoted statistic will definitely be true: I'm far more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked by a shark. But I did touch a bonnet head shark on Dauphin Island.

As a species we suck at keeping our house clean.

+10.

Exide had a battery plant here in town long ago and they quietly made a mess of the small adjacent river which empites into Long Island sound 1/4 mile away, so the feds came in and cleaned up the site in a big multi year super fund project that finished a year ago. Watching the whole process at one point I said to myself, 'back in the day in the '40's, '50s and '60s, do you suppose the CEO of exide knew it was completely harmful to the life of the river and Sound to pipe all those nasty effluents into the river 75' away from his plant but he did it anyway because it was extremely cheap to do??' Um, YES.

Squish, living in your neck of the woods, do you hear a fair amount about the SRKW population in the news and such, or even in talk around town?

Back