The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

I'm sorry, but plastic straws are not the problem. Styrofoam is bad yes, but is 99 percent air. If you want to actually fix pollution, then stop certain chemical plants and other industrial places from polluting tons upon tons of stuff.

Having said that, good on you Cory. Extra points if you made napalm with it :/: :lol: seriously tho, styrofoam is a very visible waste because it's so light that it floats and is blown around by the wind. It's the stuff you can't see that is the problem tho

My take is the US is not the problem in global pollution. I feel humans need to use reusable containers more and get away from the throwaway containers made from plastic. Sure they are "recyclable" but still made from a fossil fuel and new oil is used to recycle the old, so IMO it's still part of the problem.

I'm sorry, but plastic straws are not the problem. Styrofoam is bad yes, but is 99 percent air. If you want to actually fix pollution, then stop certain chemical plants and other industrial places from polluting tons upon tons of stuff.

Having said that, good on you Cory. Extra points if you made napalm with it :/: :lol: seriously tho, styrofoam is a very visible waste because it's so light that it floats and is blown around by the wind. It's the stuff you can't see that is the problem tho

I think straws are symbolic. And bags are symbolic. And that is crucially important. The president and others point to other countries being the problem. It discounts the fact that they ship over cargo ships full of plastic shit for us to buy. The cargo ships don't go back empty. They go back full of our trash. I am for a full out ban on all single use plastics. Even the hamburger wrappers are coated in Teflon and PFAS which is the reason I can't eat fish out of the Huron river. The hamburger is in the wrapper sometimes for less than a minute. Those little things add up. If we can't collectively even give up single use plastic straws than all is lost IMO.

No plastic bags available in Thurston County, the capitol County, where I live. Paper bags are $0.05 each.

Some stores sell reusable, durable bags for $1.

Americans are the problem!

We waaay overconsume!!

A lot of global pollution is for our lifestyles of fresh bananas everyday of the year, throwing away very useful stuff, crazy packaging, way too many single-occupant vehicles designed for moving cargo (pick-up trucks, vans, etc), impulse-buying and shopping-therapy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Article on 'mass timber' which is...

What’s the difference between mass timber and heavy timber?

Heavy timber is associated with a type of construction, Type IV, so there's a little bit of a definition overlap between a type of construction and a material. Whereas mass timber is referring to these large wood products, which are typically panelized and engineered, it doesn't necessarily exclude solid-sawn heavy timber elements. Mass timber is a broader and more material-specific word, whereas heavy timber has the traditional and very historical meaning related to a construction type.

If you say something is mass-timber, people are thinking about what materials are composing the structure, and it's not by default going into any construction type. It's like saying "steel" or "concrete." So mass timber is the other thing that's not steel or concrete. It's kind of like: precast is to concrete as mass-timber is to wood.

Here's the article re how mass timber can help get better utilization out of the forest and fight climate change

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401572/mass-timber-logging-climate-change

Love a bear attack story Cory, guy got lucky I think, seemed a bit half hearted,

Still, good for him, pretty sure I’d have frozen and got eaten.

My guess is, when he broke eye contact, shit went downhill.

Back in the late 70es I worked in northern Norway.
There was an old guy around, who's head was very scarred. as in really chewed up!
Eventually, I asked about him and was told that a bear had gone after his sheep, and he got after the bear with nothing but the Mora knife that hung on every man's hip back then.
Killed the bear and got his head chewed on.
He was a very well respected guy in the village.

Wish I could like that twice. Once for carrying a Mora, and second for the badassery of killing a bear with it. Never did that with mine :^(

Good story fo sho

Yeah that is nuts

What do you mean you can't carry a knife?
Summary Offences Act 1988.

"A person must not, without reasonable excuse (proof of which lies on the person), have in his or her custody a knife in a public place or a school."

You can get away with it if it's for work but you just can't walk around with one on you.

Here's my collection(mostly)...

IMG_20190907_144314.jpg

I always have the Swiss Champ and Leatherman Micra on me. For work I add the Leatherman PST, Mora Companion, and USAF survival knife. Off duty, I carry one of the smaller fixed blades. Usually the Marttiini Arctic Circle, or Mora Eldris; maybe a Cold Steel sgian dubh if I ever find it again. Haven't used the Mora Classic yet. Always wanted one, and got it to pad an order for free shipping on Amazon. Just don't have a place for it atm.

Back