The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Just noticed the remote control excavator article, too late really, and it likely won't catch on. Digging (and other machine operations) requires people in different vantage points to watch for stuff. A laborer who knows what he's doing can signal an operator better than an operator can dig on his own, because the laborer should be in the ditch, with a hand on the bucket feeling for vibrations, listening to the dirt, and right up in there to hand dig a bit and probe while the operator dumps. This two man operation is critical for safety and speed, and the operator needs to be where he is in order to feel the machine, see things the laborer sometimes can't, and be safely contained for certain tasks. As someone who has dug around utilities a bunch, this is the only way. The best way to dig if you have the room is dig with the machine outside of the tolerance zone straight down, and then the laborer simply caves the dirt into this ditch by hand, which is bailed out by the machine. This satisfies the hand digging requirement, while maximizing production.

A good operator can also use the back of the bucket to press on the dirt which also caves dirt while not actually digging. Once the line is located by the laborer, he clears it off on top, and places his shovel on the side of it to mark it. Then the operator can dig alongside the line and since he's in the perfect spot to see it, can dig right up next to it. You will lose all of these benefits and more with remote control. Believe it or not, a good operator can feel a surprising amount with the controls and machine movement, which is a very important safety advantage of being on the actual machine. Also, with vacuum trucks becoming increasingly common, digging with machines around anything will likely become a thing of the past in the next decade or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great insight.

Vacuum trucks are sucking up raw dirt, like digging via vacuum??

Hydro or air vac trucks. Awesome piece of equipment. You dig a hole straight down, and then widen it by undercutting the side walls, and it takes much less work. Hands down the easiest and safest way to daylight utilities.

A trick we use is to dump sand where you need to dig again, and you don't need to loosen sand so it just sucks up. For example you have to dig spot holes to safely drill past existing utilities, so you can actually watch to make sure you didn't hit an existing line. But you also know that you have to come back later and dig up the service line to the house again, so you dump sand in the gas service line hole so you can run through later and just suck it out without digging at all.

Edit: another cool trick is to use the dig a bailout hole and cave into it even when you are hand digging. You work on the digging out part and catch your breath on the caving part. Yes, there's a science even to hand digging lol. Another cool trick is to tack weld a plate on the teeth of the bucket, so you have even less likelihood of popping a utility, and will give a nice flat hard bottom if the trench.

Good chit.

Weird question but are there guys that are just animal diggers compared to most other folks, maybe a blend of power, technique, desire?

Yes there are, but it's actually brains over brawn usually. The laziest laborers can also be some of the best, because they know how to make a machine do the work. The operator ideally just does exactly what he's told, while watching for other hazards that the laborer can't see. The good laborers will make the operator curl under pipe then back off, causing the dirt to calmly collapse away, removing the need for massive amounts of hand digging. They also know to grab a skid (4x6" cribbing) and have the operator grab it with the grapple to clean under the pipe, exactly how low to dig so the welder has room to work, which side the welder will be laying on, the rigging to get stuff where it needs to be, know exactly how to crib, how to sandblast and coat, the ability to look ahead and plan for all this stuff, etc. Just because you are just a laborer doesn't mean you don't have an important skilled job.

There was one guy in particular who i worked with the last couple years who was an absolute beast. Hand digging dirt flew like it was a conveyor, but he was a master of everything else too. He was so good at epoxy coating that you could shave your face in the reflection, and was big enough that he made throwing the 5x10x3/4 shoring plywood around look like cardboard (very heavy and coated for longevity). Hardest working dude I've ever met, and very highly skilled. He usually is the spread boss now, and is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He would literally give you the shirt off his back if you needed one, and he is worth everything they pay him and them some. I've met several who were close to that level, but he definitely takes the cake.

Another laborer on the building trades side was close, he was much older but really knew his stuff. He figured out how we could rig some large boilers in a basement, planned it all out with the fitter foreman, and over the weekend had dug a ramp down to the basement floor, laid a floor of street plates, used an oxygen lance to cut a hole through the foot thick reinforced concrete wall, cut up an old boiler, and moved it all out through the opening, ready for the new boilers to go in. I've watched him lower a mini ex into a hole with a full size excavator to dig out a sheet pile pit (inside a building with little headroom), and taught me one of my favorite sayings/ teachings... "Burn gas not ass" :lol: cool guy, did volunteer work in Africa to help with drinking water and stuff like that. So although laborers are known for sweeping floors and hand digging, a large portion of their trade is actually very highly skilled work and can make or break a job.

Awesome post! 8)

Not an article, but I don't know where to stick it.

My x-wife sent me this, saying things have really gone to shit.
We lived in the US in the late 80es.
Didn't have the feeling that our neighbours were that much out of touch. ( Maybe because they were wild life biologists, studying wolves and Grizzlies in Yellowstone and Beethoven lovers)

According to this , most younger folks in the US are morons, today.

Butch, before you rip me an extra one for " dissing the US" take the test and see how you do, yourself.

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/quiz/science-knowledge-quiz/

Put us down all you want. It's like a need you have to fulfill orrrr something.

I didn't even click your link.

I have no problem, fwiw, about Stig's take on 'merica, just one man's opinion and he calls em like he sees em, good, bad, or ugly.

I aced the test. I'm either old or smart ;)

The test was easy.

You answered 11 of 11 questions correctly.
See how your results compare with the 4,464 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "What Americans Know About Science."

If you paid attention in high school, you get a perfect score...11/11 score one for the Bermudian!

Ya know there's kind of a lot of mind-blowing stuff out there about things people achieve against giant challenges. This one is particularly extreme, imo- a woman amputee doing an ultra marathon in the Sahara desert.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...on=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

And if you dig that you'll like this one about another woman ultra marathoner who beats virtually all the male racers. 200 miles straight averaging 4 mph. Fuggin crazy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/sports/courtney-dauwalter-200-mile-race.html

I've heard that women tend to rule the super marathons -- not too surprising, really. They can give birth, sometimes after a 72 hour labor! They just have a reservoir to tap into that men don't seem to possess.

WMbLbHS.gif

Back