First Hitchhiker Climb

Since this thread started I now use tachyon ash...11,5 mm with beeline. So far this combination is the best I've had with the HH, it self tends really well (one hand tending) no need for pullys or biners underneath.
I'm looking at the 'wrist rocket' to assist with grip on initial ascents though, after three months on it my hands are hurting a bit mind you I do. LOT of handsaw work...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that you all have got me straight on the collar cut terminology here was my attempts yesterday. Too long? Too short?
d9ca5f0a5f31932df0e77351be3d5f2b.jpg

In addition to these two collar cuts. There is a codominant leader that is splitting and leaning over the roof. Am not sure how to cut this back.
d916a0d17395185eceee9964dce9e17e.jpg

Also there was the quote fruitless mulberry unquote identification. I am leaning toward hackberry.
64166190f6c9b9939cd480ecee2767ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, it's a tad too flush from what I could see. I woulda come out about an inch, maybe a little less.

Thanks squisher. I have read about and used collar cuts. I somehow thought flush cut was another term for the same thing. Oops!

Just because you can find a collar to cut back to, doesn't mean it the thing to do. A large, properly made 'collar cut' at the trunk can be terrible for a tree.

I advise you not to do this if you like the tree, and your tree care knowledge doesn't differentiate between flush cut and branch-collar targeted pruning cut.

The picture doesn't show enough detail to tell if its properly done. If it was dead, it Should be obvious where the live tissue starts. Better a tad stubby than a tad flushed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was that limb alive or dead?

Squisher: that one was dead.

Just because you can find a collar to cut back to, doesn't mean it the thing to do. A large, properly made 'collar cut' at the trunk can be terrible for a tree.

I advise you not to do this if you like the tree, and your tree care knowledge doesn't differentiate between flush cut and branch-collar targeted pruning cut.

Sean,
I appreciate your warning. I have a lot to learn. The customer has specified roughly what they want removed. If a knowledgeable arborist was doing the work they could have made suggestions about how to achieve customer goals without harming the tree.

The live collar on a dead branch is pretty obvious after a few years of growth (do not touch it, even if it protrudes out of the trunk), but not so much if the branch just died or is dying. Some are easy to locate with their neat conical shape but some are really difficult because there isn't any demarcation line, only a continuous curve.

Back