First Hitchhiker Climb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Limbrat,
Thanks for the White Oak leaf identification.
I think it's a very attractive leaf. My neighbors big tree overhangs my yard.
You are correct, I do like making gear. Good instructions on the slingshot. I don't weld but I do a bit of heating metal with a torch and bending it. I could probably find someone to weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiona,
Your description of crouching down at the bottom of the pole is exactly how Dan did it in his video. Hands totally safe! Do you not have trouble with lack of leverage to hold it steady?
Eric

Holding the pole steady can be a bit of an issue if there is a breeze, but generally I seem to do ok. That release shackle thingy doesn't take much of a pull to let go so you can counterbalance pretty well against the pull.

Its been almost exactly a year and I wanted to post an update. I climbed the same tree late this afternoon as the sun was going down.
2fc67c1c1c676b6d0f2a994e1b04ff0f.jpg
I got a nice 40 foot shot on my first try. I was not surprised because my consistency in the 25 to 40 foot range has really improved over the last year. By not getting a Bigshot or Apta and by not leaving any access lines in my favorite trees I forced myself to throw every time I need a rec climb. I will never be a throw bag wizard but I am pleased with seeing progress at my advanced age!
I got Nicks splicing series this year and got seriously addicted.
Last year I posted on the home made gear thread a Mad Max knee ascender with a wooden stick and covered with Gorilla Tape. Recently I improved my creation. I sewed a leather cover to hide the tubes and pulley and spliced a short connector between the ascender and my footloop.
2f5ce7abda771bb7f9cbc755f3a35f45.jpg
I appreciate all your help last year on ropes and hitchcords. I tried several Prussic cords and ended up liking Bee Line best. For climbing line I ended up on Blue Moon. Love the rope! I have successfully spliced Blue Moon but it is hard work! Now that I am splicing, my next rope might be an easy splicing Samson V series. Last year at this time I had a 10 foot lanyard made from 12 strand ArborPlex with double fishermans loops. After I learned to splice, I started making 30 foot long 24 strand double braid lanyards. Today I advanced with the two long lanyards (Samson Velocity and Voyager with OP and Tennex Michoacan hitches. ) These two lanyards are a huge improvement over my last one.
4ab6083ee6a9f74b2971a6635ab3f9b1.jpg
I use a short knotted webbing daisy chain to keep my carabiners from bunching up on my harness central
Attachment point. I am thinking about getting a rigging plate to organize all these biners.

I shortened up the bootstrap so it sets closer to the bottom of my foot and now it feels great! Awesome post.

Last year I thought my foot ascender was tight enough. Now I realize I had to tighten it more and move it down...just like you said. No more pain.

Hey, great update :)

I deal with the multiple biners by having two bridges, and each bridge has its own swivel for the attachment, the DMM ones that have shackles so they flex in most dimensions.
I'm also a fan of a long lanyards.
Haven't had to throw a bag for ages...would be a sight to see if I do.

Bermy,

I've been going with a non-locking biner in place of a pulley under the HH. I think that 1/2" rope grabs the Fixe pulley too much on descent, possibly a matter of my bridge ring, 1/2" rope, and Fixe not being compatible.

I wonder what the smallest biner (smaller than the pulley) would do as a support that Dave/ DMc points to as a benefit of the pulley. Might suck a climbing in slightly more, with slightly more drag. Biners are not rope size specific.

Try everything at least once...you'll figure out what works best for your setup.

I have finally ?pulled the trigger? on a line launcher! I decided on the rubber bands! It was an easy decision because I wanted it immediately and TreeStuff is sold out of Aptas. I think respect for Bermy?s wisdom had already tilted me toward the BigShot and also the Notch trigger looked pretty cool and I wanted to check it out. I just bought it and haven?t gotten to try it yet.

You all may be wondering why after waiting so long I am jumping in now? I have gotten the bug to do more tree trimming and deadwooding. I have done a little in my own trees and this week got my first request from a family member. I went and looked it over last night. It was an enormous tree they identified as a fruitless mulberry. It is in the neighbors yard growing over the fence and rubbing on their roof. The handyman cut it back part way with a ladder and a pole saw a few years ago but it just came back fast. This time the neighbors have given permission to take the branches all the way to a proper flush cut on their side of the fence. This mess has a dense mat of foliage and I don?t think I could get a good high TIP even with my improved throwing skills. (I could advance my TIP...but now I am thinking of how to get more trimming time and less Rec climbing.)
One more update. In other posts I have griped about TreeStuff closing the showroom and laying off Phil. I never said this online but I vowed to myself to avoid that establishment. In my haste to get a BigShot and some other stuff I backslided to try the new TreeStuff Will Call window. I got to say it?s better than I expected. You can order on phone or online. They even have a computer at the counter to place an order when you arrive. Nobody is visible but there is a button to press and I was helped promptly. I gave my name and got my goodies brought from the back without delay. The new people are friendly and my order was correct. One more pleasant surprise. They have kept the hanging ropes to try on saddles.

But what about Phil?

Congrats on the big shot.

And that's collar cuts, not flush cuts that you're looking to trim back to. :thumbup:

Then the question is, 5 Gallon Homer bucket to store the line or overpriced folding cube. I like the 5 gallon bucket, great place to store water bottles and gloves

For throwline I used a protein powder bucket. I'd say sort of around an ice cream bucket size but better quality and with a lid that stayed on when tossed about in the truck. Five gallon pail is overkill for throw line IMO.

I've tried sticks, buckets, but was happiest with this. The secret is to wrap it loosely. The throwbag is buried under all of that - it's the first to start being wrapped. There are two lines and bags there.

Attachments

• throwline.jpg
    throwline.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 28
Our Big Shot just came yesterday. I already have a drawstring sport bag with a throwline I found at a local city park! Score! Guess some rec climber left it behind -- or the City Parks arbs...

I like folding cubes, myself. Buckets are good too. That piece of crap wrapper Butch is extoling...not so much :D.
Been there, hated them evermore. Totally worth their price imo, as he notes it :P.

have given permission to take the branches all the way to a proper flush cut on their side of the fence.

I am like Squisher...that line jumped out at me. Not sure there is such a thing as a "proper flush cut" anymore. I learned that in the 70's but we were sacrificing the branch collar to get a flush cut. Don't go retro on us!!!

Sounds like a fun job...enjoy it. Just make a proper cut.

And that's collar cuts, not flush cuts that you're looking to trim back to. :thumbup:

Thanks squisher. I have read about and used collar cuts. I somehow thought flush cut was another term for the same thing. Oops!

I am like Squisher...that line jumped out at me. Not sure there is such a thing as a "proper flush cut" anymore. I learned that in the 70's but we were sacrificing the branch collar to get a flush cut. Don't go retro on us!!!

Sounds like a fun job...enjoy it. Just make a proper cut.

Pantheraba,
Thanks for raising this issue. I meant collar cut, but thought they were synonymous. Now I know.

Everyone: Thank you for all your suggestions on line storage/deployment. I have used the stick. I have coiled my line like yo-yo man showed in his video for travel. I have a fishing reel I use in the tree. It?s not a self retracting fly reel. I had an old baitcasting reel hanging around. I have used a tarp on the ground. My go-to is a deep rectangular tote. I can store a lot of gear on top of the line and bags. It works well for me except it?s too fragile. I will probably get a folding cube someday. Also may try the 5 gallon bucket.

Back