Logging pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol I don't think that's going to happen Cory. We've been in business 60 or so years and this is the most logs we have ever gotten at once. Usually 10-15 loads a day is considered extremely well. We have another logging outfit bringing us loads they are gettin around 18 loads a day . Our bunch brings around 8. Then a few from some smaller operations. What's funny is we are a completely mechanized logging outfit. The crew bringing in 18+ have 2 guys that cut by hand. I'd like to go watch them. There truck driver claims 5-600k bdft of grade logs a week is the norm for them.

Indeed, go check out the hand loggers, sounds like some skill going on!

What caused the sudden increase in your production?

Mostly weather has kept us out of the woods. This other crew usually logs for another mill but I guess they filled them up as well and got cut back some. So we had some timber bought close to them and they agreed to log it for us. Our mill has actually been cut back to running 3 days a week for the past few months. This will be our first full five day week. Hopefully it'll continue. Not the overwhelming influx of logs but the 5 days operating.

Poor lift driver.... his first day was Monday. He is doing amazingly well considering the circumstances. He has been around a mill and logging before but it's been 20 or so years.

We have a 2nd lift operator but that is a bitter, sore, subject that makes me want to blow a gasket! ............. working with family... so the new guy is all on his own.

They are when they aren't in the shop or broke down. I personally think anything Deere has made in the last 15-20 years is garbage. I donno if it's the equipment or the service techs... or a combination of both.I'm quite fond of the Volvo equipment myself, and I've never heard anyone complain about them.

Interesting.

I too hear good things about Volvo.

Not logging but this is the new project I've got going on at the mill.

This is what I started with. Found in eastern KY.

4a4a25e2f052c1e1e16daa3a0cc45ff3.jpg

445f641f7075b659038489ff69ab51be.jpg

687338cf334ccfc7c97cad9331984b2f.jpg

Here it is back at our place. Got it anchored down. Mostly reassembled. Replacing some worn shaft, chains, bearings etc.

Almost have the 300ft of 3 phase installed.

We priced the control system being rebuilt they want 60K to come overhaul it. So looks like that is going to be left up to me to do as much as I don't want to. Guess I have a few months of wiring, programming, and hydraulic system install coming. Grrrr.

28cccbbc7fdade0361c7b8745b64287f.jpg

eeda784897f4c14c6707fd755fae8315.jpg

fe21d3d9d05e83b186307914d50050d5.jpg

89031659b83ca636ac8ba5288dbbeb0d.jpg

Oh yea in case anyone is wondering. It's a(going to be ) an automated lumber stacker.
Lumber will come in on one side roughly packaged and come out on the other ready to dry. 2-4 guys running it depending on how fast you want it to go. 1 worker will push a button. The other 1-3 will lay the sticks for each layer.

We've gone from 5 guys hand stacking and sticking the lumber when I was a kid doing it to 8-10 depending on who shows up now. They still can't stay caught up and seem to do it right.

I 've watched a lot of hours of that kind of equipment on YouTube. I find it fascinating. Will you be air drying, or kiln drying? I only air dry, so I have to have a gap between the boards, or I will get mold. If you can't get the lumber stacked right, it's junk.

I use a sticker rack that I designed. If you look to the right of the lumber, you will see the uprights that have a groove to catch the sticker and keep it aligned while you stack.

20170918_143613.jpg

Yea Butch it's a pretty boring process from start to finish.

Thanks Cory , I'm looking forward to it but then again I'm not lol

Dave we so both depending on species and what the customer is looking for. We use breeze dried (grooved sticks) on everything that will eventually see the kilns. Plain old flat sticks on everything else. We set our on 2' centers

Our stick buggies are very similar to yours. We use small channel iron to help hold one end of the sticks in place. Our guys can't keep the other in line. So..... auto stacker lol

If you can't get the lumber stacked right, it's junk.
]

Wow!

So let me ask, how does the wood dry that is covered by the sticks? Given it is a relatively small area, maybe it is not a problem?

Unsticked green wood will mold and mildew and start to decay faster pretty fast depending on species. Gum is the worst I've seen. It can ruin in just a few days in the summer. The sticks go in between each layer of lumber. If spaced every two foot and they are grooved. Let's say a 16' board, you will have maybe 1/2-3/4" total in contact with the boards to dry. So I guess it's such a small amount they dry evenly anyway where they are in contact with the sticks.

As far as sticks being out of place. If not placed in perfect rows it's kind of like an iron creasing a shirt. The wood will bow and twist extremely bad due to overloaded pressure where they have been misplaced.

Interesting the sticks are grooved for even less surface area.

Back