Logging pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No injuries. All that is messed up is the cab door. They all called it a day, and are going to fix it in the morning.

I was guessing no damage at all, except to the ego etc.

I'm not real sure exactly what happened the operator was the only one around when it tipped over.

I'm not sure why but he couldn't boom in for some reason. He radioed my dad on the fixer to come help him.(I'm assuming he had ahold of a tree and was afraid he would lose it.) While waiting for my dad he got off the harvester and walked to the top of the hill and was sitting waiting.

He heard a pop and " it laid over just as soft and slow as putting a sleeping baby in a crib".

The door was latched open when it tipped so that is probably why it was damaged.

The operator said " never should have happened my brain just backfired for some reason".

First rollover for this machine. I think the old one was rolled 3-4 times total.

He is a lucky man that it waited to let go long after he got away from it.

Did he shut it off while he was waiting?

Not sure Cory. I'm going to say no since the hydraulics were locked up and had to be purged before the machine would crank. Then again it could've had oil on top of the pistons that had it locked up for a bit. Surely they didn't try to crank it as soon as they got it rolled back over. I'll have to find out tomorrow the full extent of everything.

A little rollover of a $200k logging machine aint no thang for you ol Tennessee boys and your mechanics :drink:

How'd they right it, skidder winches? Flop it back or ease it back? Must have been tricky if it was still holding a tree.

Not real sure if the tree came loose when it rolled or if they had to cut it out of the clamp.

Chains around the tracks and frame. Tied skidded main line off to the dozer with a snatch block on the harvester and winched it over. Dad said it came over and sat down as smooth as could be.

A little rollover of a $200k logging machine aint no thang for you ol Tennessee boys and your mechanics :drink:

Got that right...except the machine cost might be on the lean side :).

If a harvester hasn't been over sideways out here in the Cascades, then the operator hasn't really tried to get to those last few sticks on that steeper part of the unit...yet. Although I must say, the current tribe of tilt cab harvesters are mighty capable of avoiding that future, in experienced hands.
;)

I can't remember what denver said about the purchase price but it was less than I would have thought.

I forget 400k I think was just under 500 with the cutting head.

Machine is fine from what they told me today. Now the 2 sliders are having issues. Steering issues with one and grapple won't function on the other Lol.

I feel for dad has a completely green crew other than himself. I think they have a total of about 8 months experience.

He just lost his knuckleboom operator for at least 6 months. He is starting his 2nd fight with cancer. Believe he started chemo earlier in the week.

The guy that rolled the machine is retired. He comes out to help dad when he is in a bind. He isn't in the best of health either. Maybe one day they will give in and let me help them out at least part time. Split up being there and at the mill. Who knows.

Yer putting the squeeze on your tree-climbing time!!

Jer: That pic (The double-cut Red with the 056) that Butch just threw-up on the Rotator is one of the coolest in the world. I don't think I've ever seen it in color.

Looks like you "rolled" the bar down a bit on the diagonal to avoid a Dutchman. Man, that's a nice stump.

Reminds me of when I did building construction years ago around age 20. That was pre-college. I noticed how the large 4 wheel drive high-lift mutilated soil around all the buildings. Adding soil education to that a couple of years later, that's when I learned how badly construction and logging equipment destroy soil structure when operated on moist or wet soils..
There are deep ruts left in some of these woods left from 50 years ago from packing out logs on the back of ton and a half A-frame trucks .

Found this ol'logging pic to add to collection:
log-handsaw-ladder.png

Can't tell much about it unless you can zoom in a bit on the picture. Loggers found another gear! 30 loads of grade logs today and 27 yesterday. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 bdft of logs in 2 days.

Back