Gaff question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use some no name brand pole Spurs most of the time and if it's nasty I wear Buckingham tree Spurs, both with Velcro weaver pads. The spur itself is less of an issue than the pad/boot combo imho. Good pads and Hoffman boots work best for me.

As far as spurring yourself or your climb line the best way to avoid it is to pay the frig attention to what you're doing. Don't pardon my French, but your setting out to do something that people die doing all the god damn time, so pay attention to what the frig you're doing, or else.

Harsh but very true! Been an all trade mechanic in a large mill my whole adult hood. I have saw people loose fingers, a hand and saw one leg amputated buy a hydraulic lift table. All but one were production employees. We had a 38 year no lost time record, then I had to respond to the amputee of a good friend.

We hold a safety meeting every morning and you are correct, YOU HAVE TO PAY the "F" to what you are doing. Complacency can end more than your career.

Like about everything else when starting a new physical skill, you have to build up strength for it, and there is also the being tense that encumbers and fatigues.

The very first time I tried climbing I got my rope up in the tree and did my bounce test. All of a sudden about ten things came crashing to the ground around me. It was then that I realized it was a walnut tree. A helmet was my next purchase!

I've only climbed with tree gaffs (Kleins), I just got a pair of really old climbers with non replaceable pole gaffs given to me, haven't profiled and tried them out yet. If you're going to use them more than an hour or 2 at a time, get the caddilac pads (Opsal), or one of the other highly recommended ones. The original T or L (I don't even know which one I had) pads SUCK. And make sure they are sharp AND have the right profile. Having to wiggle your foot every step because it is STUCK to the tree is annoying, and tiring.

Thanks for the idea for the gaff covers! I have some of the shields on the way that go around the inside of the boot area .

This tree stuff is something I can walk away from if I do not feel comfortable and come back later. I have nothing to prove but simply enjoy it!

You guys who do it for a living have my UTMOST respect! This is some inherently dangerous shit! Too many uncontrolled variables!

Variables yes, and sometimes the possibility that they can be unforeseen. With experience comes increased awareness however, and what our wise author in the Treehouse refers to by hedging your bet.

Been keeping my eyes open for a set of gaffs and just ran across a pair of Buckingham permanent gaffs with the T pads that have never been climbed in for $130. This will be my first set and I will not be doing any production work, just on my property for the removal of some Poplar trees.....

I have used the permanent long gaffed Buckinghams for most of my career. Good spurs and will last years and years with proper care. Along with good boots you will need shin pads that have metal support. I liked the angled leather ones.

Keep in mind that for about $20 more you can buy a brand new set with replaceable gaffs without the tops that you will need to buy anyway.

I remember when I took my pole climbing training at Sheppard Air Force Base we had these plastic guards that went around the side and heel of my boots to help keep you from gaffing your heel. They wrapped around the shank of the gaff leg and screwed to themselves.

Did someone mention not gaffing one self? IMG_0022.jpg
Did this once in a silver maple swing back to the main trunk. I really put all my force into it as I stuck the landing. I didn't even want to look. I just finished the day and went home. At that point it really hurt to slide the old boot off.

I've seen much worse. Young fella my age, back in 1970, ripped his calf from his knee down to his Wes Co high-tops. That's the only thing that stopped the rip from going any farther. Double ugly. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Y'all, most of you anyway, have read my reports of the couple or three gaff injuries I've seen...ugly and painful and long recuperations. Avoid at all cost.

I did this about 1973...gaff to thigh. Went about 20 feet up a hemlock to take a tool to someone working on an obstacle course. Started climbing down...oops...would up on ground on back. I don't really know what happened...surmise my left leg was up, right down and something slipped. Don't know if I was spiked before I left the tree or when I hit the ground. We didn't lanyard in those days unless we were scared...or when you got to the first limb (hold on with one hand and run lanyard over the limb, around tree and snap it on...never heard of a 2nd lanyard or using a climbing line back then).

Was about a mile back in N. GA mountains making a base camp for a survival course. They put me in the back of our Scout, the boy driving the Scout got it stuck in a mudhole. I sat in the back of the Scout for an hour while they cut a tree long and strong enough to lever the Scout out of the mud enough to get unstuck...me holding pressure on the thing all the time. Then drove me to the local clinic for stitches.

The sideways "V" is the gaff scar...little one is a different story.

Dumb stuff.

Attachments

• scar spike  (3) RESIZED.jpg
    scar spike (3) RESIZED.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 55
So, question: I have been using Opsal "caddilac" pads, I am looking into getting a new pair and am wondering if I should be looking at the Big Buck Pads? Would I be missing something if I went with the Caddy's again?

Also, I am going to get Buck Tis and wondering if I should get short or long gaffs. I have always climbed on tree gaffs, but have often felt like I would appreciate being in closer. I guess what I am asking is...can you make all my decisions for me?

Thanks!

For my money, caddie pads are the best. Lots of people agree, but plenty have differing opinions. Not a fan of the big bucks...climbed in them a few times, watched others use them for much longer. They get soft and twist on your leg just like any other pad without a steel or aluminum component.

You can switch back and forth from tree to pole gaffs, just buy a set of replacements opposite to what you get on your new spurs. Not that costly, and you can make up your own mind after a comparison climb or two.

The geckos are expensive but we'll worth it if your gonna be in them a lot. The most comfortable and I think the best gaff shape. And of course they are light.

There's a big difference in the feel of long vs short- I definitely appreciated being closer, like B said it prolly pays to have one of each, even if just for the satisfaction of being prepared for anything.

Ive been luving my gecko carbon fiber spurs, so light I can just run up them pine trees..;)

070.jpg

Fully loaded with gear I am 250-260. Little heavy for some of those spurs. Since this is more of a "recreational Arborist" endeavor, I just need to be comfortable for about an hour or so.

I did some adjusting to the pads and straps and we took down 2 trees today. Basically just gaffed up about 25 feet and tied in my slings and hooked up the winch cable. Was never uncomfortable, but no real time spent on the spurs either.
One was a maple that measured out to about 75' and another maple about 60. Both were very close to the power line so we rigged a second line to help control the fall.

Went through the game plan with both my sons and went over every ones roles, signals and everything. The tall Maple had about a 3 foot head lean towards the power line. Wedges, tension from the winch and guy line and they both fell exactly where I told them it would.

They were grinning pretty big after we pulled it all off! I was a little nervous on the leaner. It was my first leaner that HAD to go right!

Great day!

Back