Vancouver logger saves huge fir before it goes the way of the rest of the isle.

Can we do a stopover in Helena, and look at the areas that were clear cut to produce wood enough for copper smelting, please.

Then afterwards you can show me the huge smokestack that was built when the neighbouring state complained about their cattle dying from arsenic poisoning.

Solution, make the smokestack tall enough that it drifts into another, further away, state.

Jimster, I know a lot more about Montana, than you'll ever know about Denmark.

So don't "grasshopper" me!

God ( Of whatever kind you fancy) I love this place.:D

The House, not Denmark.

That'll do, too.

Butch, that comment, coming from you, makes it hard to not come back with something that'll eventually get me banned.
So lay off, please, or suffer the consequenses.

To provide electricity for the masses? Gotta break a few eggs Stig.

Besides, who wants to know about a tiny little country that the EU allows to claim its Scandinavian so it doesn't feel too sorry for itself?

Anyway, Montana has been used for years for the benefit for the rest of the country.

Very little of the wealth has stayed here. Still that way..........grasshopper!:P

frig it Dude, lets go bowling!

I can't get it to embed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/puIstclBcO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think the One Big VS Many Small question has an answer, except to say both situations offer diverse benefits. So Either is preferable to neither. . .

From a purely human, emotional standpoint? Absolutely, save them. These things are like living temples. They're part of something, just like other ancient ruins, that we will never see again. . . Kind of fascinating and sad at the same time.

Let us see if this one goes:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rMbATaj7Il8?list=RDrMbATaj7Il8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rMbATaj7Il8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Butch, help me out here!

Lost at sea!

It ALWAYs worked before.

I don't think the One Big VS Many Small question has an answer

The current school of thought concerning growing marijuana is that many smaller plants yield an increased harvest over a couple bigger plants.

That is forestry 101.
Try climb those lil' suckers and see where it'll get you.

Why can't I embed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question for you Cory.

What does more good for the environment? One very large tree, or 10 smaller trees?

Is there a way to figure that out?

I'm not a scientist so I can't answer objectively, plus I suspect "better" would need to be defined. I suppose one larger tree would be 'better' while the 10 small ones are growing and then, over time, the 10 little ones would be 'better' as they got big. But since I'm not a scientist, I'd have to fall back on subjectivity and instinct and just believe that not clear cutting all of the masterpiece that is Vancouver Island would be far 'better' than moonscaping it all in the name of keeping cutters like me busy and creating some extra 2x4s and plywood.

Part of me would love to be logging in the BC bush like I used to do in Maine and CT and Oregon, but a bigger part of me would recognize the folly of nuking the last vestiges of old growth.

What I am thinking too. I think the article mentioned some of those attributes of OG forests.

From the article:

Every hectare contains more biomass—the total volume of live and decaying flora and fauna—than any other ecosystem on the planet, greater even than the tropics, where the heat breaks down dead matter more quickly. Life teems in every square metre: insects, fungi, birds. One researcher has shown that 18,000 invertebrates can be found under a single pair of boot prints. Not only are these forests more efficient at absorbing carbon from the atmosphere than smaller second-growth trees,

Back