The Tree ID Thread

Hell if I know. I've been doing some image searches and coming up blank. How dense were the flowers? Fairly sparse, or do you think "Look at all those flowers" when you see it? Did the flowers have a scent?

Definitely not butternut those leaves would resemble black walnut and be very sticky to handle.
Do the twigs have ridges or wings on them? Looked like it in one photo. I am not close to any idea yet.

How about Halesia tetraptera or monticola also known as Caroline Silverbell, generally zone 4 - 8, but good specimen in Orono, Maine. Generally 30-40 ft tall, but co-champions in GSM National Park are 104,103, and 96. Fruit is a 4 winged corky drupe, flowers are showy white, 4 petaled, bell shaped 3/4 to 1 inch long.
Excellent reference to have is Virginia Tech Tree ID. Free app for phone or tablet.

Sawtooth oak? Is there any other oak that looks like this? This is MD, and the trees all appeared to be planted a good while ago.

IMG_20200729_094236.jpg

Not really. One of the branches was low, and I saw a proto acorn forming. It looked shaggy around the base(similar to a full grown sawtooth oak acorn), but it was so young, extrapolating may be inaccurate. Regular oaks could look like that. I never really noticed when they were just starting to form.

Anyone know what this is specifically? Looks like a holly of some kind. It's the second one I've seen this year, both in the woods. Note the flower-like things at the top...

20210304_114245.jpg

I asked about something like that last year, I do't know what it is. Unusually flat leaves. Mine was only 6" tall, no flowers. See the previous page.

Yours looks like it could be a younger version of mine. I'm sorry to say I didn't touch the leaves either time I saw them. I should get back to that job eventually. Hopefully it's still there, and I can examine it closer. The opposite leaves are really distinct and peculiar looking for a holly, if that's indeed what it is. If the leaves are stout, it would be further evidence pointing to holly.

edit:
I think I've found it...

Ahh, Berberis... Reminds me of a Warty Barberry story (forgive if I told this before) - in 1987 my friend Richard was studying for a Botany plant ID exam (34 years ago! Yikes!) and as we worked through the flash cards he always, always looked blankly at the Berberis verruculosa and it stopped him dead. No matter how often the card came up he just had a mental block. Finally out of frustration I said, you need an auditory mnemonic associated with this image. I repeated Berberis verruclosa a few times and asked him what else it sounded like. His eyes brightened and he shouted out “ Bare breasts very close up”. He never missed after that.

Got another one for y'all. This is the "annoying" shrub I mentioned in another thread. It gets at least 12' long, and is very leggy. I don't recall the flowers, and I believe the leaves are oval. It gets red berries in the fall.

Here's a pic that kinda shows the general structure. I had cut some off to make room for the viburnum, but left some in case the viburnum dies...

20210307_131619.jpg
It's the shrub that's cut between the two small trees. Here's a closer shot of a cut stem. They have a hollow pith, and the bark will peel off the edges in long strings...

20210307_131639.jpg

Any ideas?

I agree. Does indeed, and the red berries is further evidence...unless they are blue, which would be yet further evidence :|:.

I peeled a small section and was drying it on top of the stove to possibly make a file handle. After heating it smelled vaguely sweet, and kind of like vanilla. I have the feeling it's some kind of invasive honeysuckle due to the prolific spread, but I haven't been able to find it online so far. When it flowers, I'll try to get a good pic of that, and it might tell what it is.

How about Halesia tetraptera or monticola also known as Caroline Silverbell, generally zone 4 - 8, but good specimen in Orono, Maine. Generally 30-40 ft tall, but co-champions in GSM National Park are 104,103, and 96. Fruit is a 4 winged corky drupe, flowers are showy white, 4 petaled, bell shaped 3/4 to 1 inch long.
Excellent reference to have is Virginia Tech Tree ID. Free app for phone or tablet.
Bob,

My apologies, I missed your last update on this. Nope, not a Silverbell. Definitely some kind of invasive Asian weed tree. If you look at the bark, it's not even close. Also, the leaves/flowers are too small. It was growing at the edge of the Great Swamp here in NJ. A friend does work for the customer, and he says every few weeks he goes there, 30-50 saplings are coming out of the root system.

And yes, I do have the VA Tech tree app. It's a great app.

Back