The Tree ID Thread

Looks like our Siberian elm. A weed tree around here.
I've taken to calling them "Mongolian Elms" -- can't stand 'em. We did a reduction on one last Tuesday, but suggested to the owner since he is in rural parts that we just drop the branches downward with holding wood to form a tipi shape and he just have a grand old bonfire. He's considering... but can only pull one burn permit per year where he is.

Hey thanks guys! That’s actually just dirt on my nails. I had to schedule an emergency appointment with my manicurist immediately after this job to get that all cleaned up. Those darn nitrile gloves get holes in them and then they start holding dirt and debris. The result is filthy hands.

Just a curiosity -- I noticed this (smaller) tree while walking by in a park, never have encountered it before. Also, our foreman couldn't ID it either, we've never worked on one. Obviously seems to be a nut tree, and my guess was something in the pecan family:
P1330096.jpg P1330095.jpg

Seems like ya'll nailed it as far as being a chestnut tree; bark meets the description, too: net-shaped (retiform) pattern with deep furrows or fissures running spirally in both directions up the trunk. If it's American Chestnut, it's a bit far west (natural range is Eastern US, stopping at the Mississippi). But the city here is a Tree City USA for 38 years, so they do pride themselves in bringing in (at least slightly) unusual trees for the area.

Oh yes, we call them the Tree of Hell. Giant weeds that can do unpredictable things. Don't trust your hinge without a pull line if you're doing a takedown. Then again, they're not worth pruning, just removing!

Don't trust your hinge without a pull line if you're doing a takedown.
Don't trust your hinge at all, even with a pull line.
Shitty wood, very brittle. Even with a small back lean, you don't have enough travel available. The hinge breaks before the equilibrium point and the tree falls where he want. Don't try to aim a path with a directional cut on a limb. Just snap !
Poor cohesive wood too, very prone to split. I had some skinny trunks beginning to split just by the cut of a log. The end of these same trunks literally exploded in three parts when they hit the ground.
I didn't got a barberchair though, thanks to the very bad hinging property.

But I found an other specie very similar (no idea of the name), about same structure: skinny trunk, smooth bark, limbs in small number, long and big "twigs", but with a wood surprisingly strong (for what I expected when I climbed it) and some decent hinge capability.

Agreed. We took 3 out about 6 months ago. We left fat hinge wood and yanked them over with the truck, to be certain there wouldn't be something untrustworthy happening! Fickle, fickle "trees" to be sure!

Tree of Hell

Speaking of the Devil...

We haven't dealt with an Ailanthus in over 6 months, so I guess we were overdue. Tomorrow we take this out: 4.5' DBH, about 50' tall, power lines in front & to the side, growing over the house. Then afterwards I get to grind it -- quite a massive stump with a lot of root flare. Should be a morning's work for us, all told. (Trunk is probably not much smaller than the state champion, which is 13' circumference, but is a good bit shorter than that one's 80'+ height -- right outside Ft. Leavenworth!)
P1330432.jpg P1330399.jpg P1330434.jpg

Back