8mm Ocean eyes

Look pretty sharp.

I wonder why it appears that the braid is tightened up on the ring and looser on the carabiner eye. Probably an Internet optical illusion.

Did you lock stitch them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The ring was just done and not fully loaded. The Carbineer tight eye has been done awhile and I have yanked the heck out of it trying to get it fully loaded. Not lock stitches yet. I have not lock ststitcd my double braid splices? Have already about wore out one 10 mm Ocean double eye with no lock stitches and no problem???

As I understand it, lock stitches only keep the splice together when not loaded and add no benefit to a loaded eye? Is this correct? I have saw all your posts where you do the lock stitches.

I also used a different method on tapering the cover between the two splices. The ring eye was straight New England directions. The other was from a Brian toss hint on removing one strand of each braid, but doing it twice as far, resulting in a more gradual taper of the cover.

Sorry for the auto correct spelling.....trying to type on my phone.

Yes you're right...and you're wrong. Conceptually speaking, you don't need lock stitching on most double braid splices. But you HAAAAAVE to do it. Even just a few stitches to make sure it can't change. It's insane on some ropes. The tight ones....how could they ever come apart? They can't! Especially 8mm OP. But if something were to ever happen...and we all know it had nothing to do with the lock stitching....but if SOMETHING were to happen the insurance company will fight to find a way to avoid coverage. They might hire someone like me that will instantly look at it and know something's not right. The lock stitching is accepted as an industry standard. All the major manufacturers and retailers refuse to sell ropes that aren't lock stitched. It's illegal in competitions. It's crazy and all CYA...but this is murica 2016.

Knowing it literally takes a couple minutes to throw on a couple lock stitches, (don't even do a full on whipping) you really should do it.

But nice looking splices either way!

Thanks for the advice. Since I am what I call a "recreational Arborist" my wife is not fond of my new hobby of splicing my own stuff. She actually made me up my umbrella policy awhile back to cover my "dangerous hobbies".....

I will lock stitch on that advice. I have of course lock stitched all my Bee line splices. None of my tight eye bought splices have been lock stitched though???

Even with that, I come from an industrial maintenance background and safety is what gets me home safe everyday! I have saw Arc flashes, and severed limbs in my line of work over the years. I start my maintenance crew off every day with a safety talk.

Will follow your advice! Can only help? Thanks.

Ok Cool. Just wanted to make sure!

That actually proves the point. If we're ever unsure of something, often times we can look at what most people around us are doing and that will help us to know the direction that we should head. Here you can see that everyone is lock stitching Thor hitch cords. Whether or not we think it needs to be done, we should just do it so that we're being consistent with industry-wide norms.

love
nick

I have watched some videos on the double stitch? The video I watched they trimmed the ends and burnt them with a lighter. Found am old thread of yours that had a video to a method that was supposed to be cleaner method but the link was dead. Care to share that again?
Thanks

Ken

Back