Local Logger's Narrow Escape

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think in this locale logging is a lifestyle, not just a job, and has been for 4-5 generations of families. Danny is just not ready to give that up. He'd be lost without it. But I just can't believe he went back to work on Monday!

I can relate Butch. I'm not missing it much so far, but every once in a while I'm tempted...I keep getting rid of more stuff...last top handle is gone now so that should keep me grounded...maybe.

Pretty amazing he is back to work. Like you say Mrs. B It's his lifestyle. Many wouldn't know what else to do so would try to continue regardless.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Having been injured in various ways in the UK and France it amazes me how medical bills cause so much worry over there.

In the UK you just get carried in and walk out, they take your name and national insurance number, and thats it.
(Been a decade since I left so there may be some changes)
In France I spent 10 days in what's called "reanimation" which is one down from intensive care and again just walked out afterwards.
I think I'll stop moaning about our "national insurance" contributions after reading that.

Awesome story. The man is tougher 'n a boiled owl.

There was a lot of info in there and it was very readable. I wonder if he dictated that to someone who then transcribed or if he wrote it himself.

Makes the forest/tree situation out there in God's country seem pretty negative under the care of the bigwigs in charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He told the story to Bruce Anderson, owner of the newspaper and a colorful man. Bruce has a reputation for telling the truth: to the extent that he once had to leave the county for a while for his own good.

The guy who owned the Husky Dealership here , an experienced Logger if not expert , was struck and killed years back. Accessory Tree in a wet area was unkowlingly loosened at the root wad by the impact of a market Tree coming down. Joel was working up the Log as a breeze threw the other Tree. Never saw it coming , crushed to Death. Sad and I still miss him.

That's the thing about logging.. so many variables and unseen dangers from trees that have had no human attention... its a far more dangerous game than tree work where most of the variables are within human control.

It seems like with so many variables with ground and tree(s), the only way to learn one thing or another is to have a close one.

Back