Open water swimming

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
not on my bucket list.... but rad for sure!

Just finished my first 5k. Barely made it! My legs were cramping the last half mile pretty badly. It was longer than I've ever swam by at least 2k. They had the music blasting at the finish line and that was my savior. Finished in 1 hour 57 minutes. My pregnant wife did her 10k in 2 hour 58 with a 10 minute sandwich break at halfway. Feeling good and drinking beer right now.

Baddass Kevin. I was thinking of showing that to my wife (also preggers), but then I was thinking of the shark vs Phelps thing, and I decided against it...

Swimming seems like it would be a lot of rocking and rolling for a fetus. I guess they are anchored in there pretty well.

You would have heard about my brutal murder on the radio too lol, she would probably Fargo me into the creek hahaha. That's hardcore man, congrats to both of you

Swimming seems like it would be a lot of rocking and rolling for a fetus. I guess they are anchored in there pretty well.

Its very low impact. The midwives basically told her not to push herself to the limits. So she took a half an hour longer than normal. There are woman that run marathons pregnant. But that's what their body is used to. You wouldn't want to do your first marathon preggers for sure.

If I had been pregnant doing my 5k I surely would have miscarried. I was way out my comfort zone.

My old(young) neighbour is most of the way through a ultra marathon right now. I shit you not. 38km swim, 1800k ride and 422km run. Non-stop, except for sleep.

Impressive to say the least. She did the five time marathon one in the states last year and came fifth overall and first woman.

This one is in Switzerland. She's the Canadian, obviously.

https://www.swissultra.ch/english/

Apparently she's set to complete and that would make her like the sixth woman ever to have made it through.

Looks like a very controlled race, just doing laps in the pool or when on the bike and running, rather than through long distance open terrain.

Yes, impressive endurance regardless. I cant really fathom it myself.

Interesting too that her brother is a Olympic snowboarder and a high level bmx and motocross guy. A lot of talent in that family it would seem.

The family was all big into bmx, having their own track on their property. I remember watching the brother effortlessly throw sick backflips off their whoops. Just one of those people gifted with finesse and balance.

Yes, amazing commitment to build up to that level of endurance.

If you didn't happen to watch the Death Valley vid, it showed another endurance race through the blistering heat. They won't allow entries unless each participant can show an accompanying support team to help keep them from dying. Not many people watching it appears, too damn hot. It appears not many competitors either.

I imagine it would be a little tougher to organize a good support team in those conditions for sure.

Same as I was lead to understand for this ultra marathon race is its invite only. Not many competitors each year for the continuous deca. Does seem like it would grow old on such a short controlled course? I sure as heck could never do it. I'd have to be paid well or else forced to do something like that. I can't see it ever happening of my own free will. Lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
finished the jocassee open water swim yesterday....choppy as hell with fair bit of current. 15 min slower then last year 1:40:00. for the 2.4.
I wasn't the only one...top finisher last year was 53:00 this year was hour something

still fun though. very clear water...temp was nice and cool. must practice shaolin wave chopping technique for next year!

not a race but some take it that way. Fundraiser to prevent childhood drowning. This was third year......i think I heard 2000 kids so far benefitted from program.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/2JXUNy99JNldu" width="480" height="231" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fight-mma-2JXUNy99JNldu">via GIPHY</a></p>

The detroit river gets pretty choppy, its pretty thrilling. Like being in a washing machine. I get really disoriented. Getting a mouth full of water on your in breath can be a bit of shock as well. You have to roll almost on your back to get a clean breath it seems.

Back