Open water swimming

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
a friend who has done 10 mile swim says its normal fro first 30min to feel oppressive. He advised me to kick less right out of the gate and glow slow for first 20-30min. Also breath very often....every stroke, 6-8 times before switching side. I also drafted a couple of peeps until they started zigzagging.

lots of people were stumbling leaving water.....I think from having ankles pointed for so long makes walking weird at first.

Gary's a handsome dude in great shape, could be some girls in that swim video that want him to rescue them.

John...that is an amazing event. Never realized such an event existed...I cannot imagine swimming 10 miles. Kayak support is a great idea. Thanks for sharing that.

The video from last year is interesting:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bLg_AMIpH64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

showed emily this and shes signing up for next year. im going to be in the kayak. and my parents are going to hang out with the kids. they only live a couple hours away.

shit no man, that sounds fun as hell, I wish I could do it. the kayak will be pretty fun for me though too. maybe two years from now i might tag along in the water if I get enough water time between now and then. its hard to learn how to be a fish at my age though, should have started 30 years ago but I was focused on being a monkey instead. hard to be both. she just swam 5 k this morning in the swimming pool and only got out because of the baby wanting some boob.

you wife sign up for the chat town swim? I couldn't commit due to nursing school. Still gonna do jocassee swim in fall though

Aw bummer. yes she signed up for the swim the suck in chatanooga. I will be in the kayak. was hoping to see you there!

no go for me. ABSN program will be full tilt then. I am gonna do the jocasse swim again this september though. Im sure she will crush it. Ill be curious to hear what is like with downstream current.

Our plans appear to have changed as I knocked her up last month. Whoops! First thing she said when she found out was "shit! Now I can't swim the suck!" She is now saying she wants to do it anyway. We will see. It was almost $400. We just did the motor city mike which is in the Detroit river. She crushed the 5 k. I did the mile. A third of it is up the current. I just about stalled out trying to swim that leg. There is a minimum speed you have to swim to make it. I was just barely over that speed. Took me almost a full hour to complete the mile. Good for third from last place!

That sounds hard AF, good on you that you finished!:thumbup:

How far along will she be in october?

signed up for the Jocassee swim again in september...

Back