PB & J - Every Day!

kevin bingham

TreeHouser
Picked up a good trick a couple months ago. Buy sliced bread in bulk, good peanut butter in bulk, and jelly in bulk. Make it all into sandwiches and put them in bags and put them in the freezer. They are actually awesome frozen and they don't get soggy right away if you save them. Boom.. never an excuse not to have something to eat and settle for gas station food. Thought I'd share as its been very helpful keeping fuel in my tank.

Straight PB for me, lil gluten free bread, its awesome.

A guy at our shop named John Emmons has been doing that every single week for 28 years. The dude is like a machine... he never deviates from his daily routine.

I personally wouldn't eat gas station type food unless I was actually starving. Cool to share little food 'hacks', thanks.

I love pb and j. Jelly and bread is not so good for me, though. I know someone who has a tuna sandwich for lunch everyday, and has for over 50 years.

I've done pbj for close to 15 years. Great fast fuel and cheap! I'll deviate every couple months and do egg salad or tuna for a couple days...

Some say that cutting off the crust makes it taste better. It does help you get uses to when you won't have teeth any longer.

I've had plenty of tasty sammies made with the end of the loaf...

Substituting honey for the j is probably better, not all the refined sugar. Can you still buy honey in those large tins at the market?

Haven't seen it in the tins, Jay. There are markets around here where you can fill your own containers though, just need to tare in before hand. I like the pb and h, usually have a couple with a glass of milk before bed.

I personally wouldn't eat gas station type food unless I was actually starving. Cool to share little food 'hacks', thanks.

There is one gas station I'll eat at. Their pizza is pretty darn good and they have fresh sandwiches made daily form the grocery store deli across the street, meaning real food.

I love pb and j. Jelly and bread is not so good for me, though. I know someone who has a tuna sandwich for lunch everyday, and has for over 50 years.

I'm also on the tuna train- its waaay too convenient. I don't make sandwiches I just eat out the can between mouthfuls of bread. Gotta watch canned tuna intake for mercury though ( i read 3 x per week max). I've never tried a pb & j sanga, its definately an american thing.

Well then that aint really gas station food, lol!

PB n honey is the bomb, haven't had it in years, not sure why?!? How bout when the honey gets a tad crusty/crunchy over time before eating, yum!!

I'm also on the tuna train- its waaay too convenient. I don't make sandwiches I just eat out the can between mouthfuls of bread. Gotta watch canned tuna intake for mercury though ( i read 3 x per week max). I've never tried a pb & j sanga, its definately an american thing.

Do you drink the tuna water from the can?

Never had a pb +j???? You haven't lived!;)

I had a beloved friend that I knew all the way from grammar school. Peanut butter and honey sand was his main dish by far, kind of famous for it. He went through vast volumes of honey, everyday for lunch and for snacks, why i was asking about the big cans which is what his mom always had in the cupboard. His default meal. He wouldn't touch a vegetable, I don't think even a piece of lettuce, and if he had a hamburger, the only thing that could be on there was the patty and ketchup. Sadly, he passed away young, and i heard from his mom that when his workmates held a little memorial for him, they put out a bottle of ketchup. Poor nutrition must have been a factor in his heart that gave out when he was in his fortys.

Tuna straight out of the can is my back up. I keep a couple in my lunch box along with a can of chef boyardi's beefaroni. In the summer I eat a lot of fruits and veggies for lunch. Try to keep it light.

And yes I drink the water out of the can

Cory the tuna I get is in oil & I squeeze the excess out of the can with the lid. You get 1 chunk of tuna in the can as opposed to a pulp so it seems a good quality protein fix.

Okay, okay, today is the day then (assuming I have all the ingredients), I'll whip up a pb & J later today and post a review.:lol:

Jay it does sound like his diet was very limited and lacked fresh food... that can't ever end well

Well then that aint really gas station food, lol!

PB n honey is the bomb, haven't had it in years, not sure why?!? How bout when the honey gets a tad crusty/crunchy over time before eating, yum!!

You're right it isn't "real" gas station, mystery meat hotdog rolling around doing its death roll for hours on end, food or the ever so infamous breakfast burrito under glass.

I have yet to meet a New Zealander who like PB. Never been around too many Aussies, so I dont know about them.

Marmite or Vegemite for them blokes. Bloody terrible.

I like tuna fish, with mayo, onion and pickles.

I take my PB and J with store bread (extra gluten for me please!) and grape jelly or moms crabapple jelly. All other known jellies are junk!

Youse guys should consider buying land. Once you are completely drowning in debt they bring bees out to your place. When they leave they give you buckets and buckets of Honey!

Our gas station food (we call it servo food, servo is short for service station) is generally pies and other pastries. its an absolute last resort when faced with certain starvation. That being said, my favourite is chilli beef and cheese pie.

Back