The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow. Sounds crazy. Thanks for the report Cory.

It was crazy and as I said it was a night of many good fights. The Mac/khabib fight itself was quite fascinating and nerve wracking as it unfolded because you were waiting to see if Mac could weather the Nurmy grappling storm enough to land his patented left hand kill shots. If he had achieved that, he would be a god basically. The vibe of his cage entrance oozed his complete comfort in the blazing spotlight. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand as they screamed for him. He appeared to be perfectly prepared, completely confident, and eager to throw down.

After a night of really good fights, the buzz always stays with me the next day. There is something moving and spiritual about a great mma fight. The skill, physical strength, mental strength, game planning and adaptions on the fly, the heart, confidence, the fighting spirit in the face of adversity, it's all quite compelling and I reflect on it a lot the following day. Somehow I find myself making connections between it and the tree business.

The post fight melee put an exclamation point on the festivities. It's always interesting to experience or witness a charged atomsphere as it unfolds, and then to reassess it from the calmer, removed perspective of the following day.

My dad and I got up at 3 in the night to watch the " Rumble in the jungle"

It is always the right time to watch a great fight.
That one was really something.

We watched it at home in England, I guess my parents woke me up to watch it.

I distinctly remember my mum begging my dad to make it stop (like he could do anything about it!) we were big Ali fans and knowing nothing about boxing believed he was getting a pasting.

Had a great weekend.

A French Canadian guy named Dave Leduc came to the gym to do a seminar. Dave is the open weight Lethwei world Champion. Lethwei is Burmese boxing or the art of Nine limbs. Basically Muay Thai with headbuts and bare knuckle.

Dave has the title of the ‘The King of Lethwei’. He is such a nice bloke, but hard as a coffin nail. They showed some interesting techniques, training methods and had plenty of stories. He has quite a few fights on YouTube. The seminar was the last on his world tour and now he is back home to train for a Trilogy fight against Burmese fight Tun Tun Mun on the 16th December.

This guy is the real deal. I had a little grapple with him at the end of the session. It was all good fun and after a minute of so I tried to sweep him and nearly threw him... I guess that’s when he stopped playing LOL. He head butted me about 4 times in as many seconds. It was like an 80kg woodpecker going at it.

Top man.

Attachments

• 864CB2E1-06D6-4330-8847-5A875AA52291.jpg
    864CB2E1-06D6-4330-8847-5A875AA52291.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 484C78D1-D169-431C-B87B-430E30634E34.jpg
    484C78D1-D169-431C-B87B-430E30634E34.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 19
Jesus that was freaking intense. Hella post, Rich.

Rich, was he pissed off near the end of your roll when you tried to throw him or was he just cranking up the level a bit in response to your efforts? Where'd you get hit with the head butts?

Love to hear a couple of those stories you referenced.

I just watched him vs Min min, 2nd rematch..Min min kicks like he's got work boots on. How the heck do you do that without destroying your feet n toes?

Your boy is a freakin animal

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yzbyBhLSrbA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe

Someone hire this guy already

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lZfBvwPItMk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rich, was he pissed off near the end of your roll when you tried to throw him or was he just cranking up the level a bit in response to your efforts? Where'd you get hit with the head butts?

Love to hear a couple of those stories you referenced.

I just watched him vs Min min, 2nd rematch..Min min kicks like he's got work boots on. How the heck do you do that without destroying your feet n toes?

I guess so. When were training in the group I was with a smaller guy. Dave was clinching with a young lad from the gym next to me. So I asked if he could show me some of the techniques. He then stopped the group and we clinched in front of the rest of the group.

I already had a bit of a rapport with him as I had picked him and his wife up from the airport that morning.

When they train the headbuts, you put your hand on the oponents head and then headbut the back of your own hand to try and avoid unnecessary cuts etc. I managed a few on him and then at the end he went to town LOL. The woodpecker headbuts were on the right side of my temple but on his hand though. I still felt it. A few times he could have easily knee’d to the face as he managed to pull my head right down and put the knee in before I could react.

Thing is afterwards he is a total gent and complimented me on my technique and strength. Even though it was like a adult tiger playing with a cub. Step outta line and a proper cuff comes your way. Haha.

It was honour to be on the receiving end. Bit like rolling with a high level bjj guy... you know they could ‘F’ you up but they let you have a bit of a play. :).

If you are interested, the owner of the gym have their own podcast going on and interviewed him afterwards. It is an hour or so long but Dave has quite a few interesting tales.

https://youtu.be/RSDSti4LtNI

Sorry, can’t embed the video as I am in my phone.

In your phone? Damn that sounds cramped! :P

Cool stuff Rich. Sounds like it was a great training opportunity and experience.

Sounds like a great experience.

I know it’s different but when I played football and was completely outclassed by the guy marking me, or playing in my position for the other side, I learnt and enjoyed the process (not at the time perhaps but in hindsight)

Gives you a better understanding of the pros.

I agree Mick. It is humbling to me.

You realise the full extent a champion has to put himself / herself through in order to rise above the rest. Doesn’t matter the sport really, they train hard. Unless they were John McEnroe.

Interesting interview, thx for the link, learned a lot.

Back