Hinging

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before laying one of these magnificent beasts down;
we often doublecheck the projected box/area/fall zone/footprint.
Basically thru geometry from a square face/ square tools for direction
and any 45-45-90 scaling or 'stick trick' scaling evenly for reach of fall in that direction.
These are presumptive guides only;
sideleans, dirty faces, bad wood, bent spar etc. complications not factored in.
fall_footprint_direction.png

Fall Footprint = Direction , Size
Mostly for tree falling.
But in climbing,i've used the 45-45-90 rake trick below accurately enough, repeatedly to:
measure height of tree in back yard if layed across house, where would it reach?/ take measurement.
then measure off usable yard space(box) for laying lengths to fill but not over fill yard.
measure off in sections of full reach of fall if went thru house.
Site rake trick back to tree to see cut lines to confidently take verticals in as few pieces as possible!
Climb, have reference in mind and leadman on ground that sighted with ;
so he can double check if necessary when i'm in air.

fall_footprint_size.png

Of course it is.
A vertical bypass is what one does on purpose in a "German" cut, to get more flexibility in the hinge.

Never heard that before Stig... copuld you tell us more about the cut in particular how much bypass and what does more flexibility do?? hold longer or hold stronger etc??
thanks

why not just use the cheekbone to measure grip on a horizontal held rake?
Sure, hope i show transition from half-square to rake trick to see same math in all 3.
i show with heavier garden rake that gives surer plumb-bob , squarer head to use as pointer in face(tines up);
but then extended as you say could get fairly heavy, just always did as shown, pix are what i've done and seen in things.
Biggest thing is know several routes to verify size quickly with what have and are confident in.
i hope this gives some how's and why's to do more often, correctly and confidently.
45degrees is where cosine = sine, tangent is 1(equal relationship sine/cosine)
3degrees off either side is ~10% err, tangent relationship ~.9 and ~1.1
i always site to base of tree instead of hinge proper, and round all such numbers up to bluff in safety margin.

Very nice reading, sorry i missed during my abstinence,
really fits with going Dutch; been bringing hinging thread around to.
After showing how don't have to work the tensions generically as 1 in back field :
>>tapered hinge works R/L back fields separately, center least important;
easier to carry theory to same for face slaps don't have to work generically as 1 in front field:
>>can work R/L faces separately as well, center least important.
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
By allowing the forces to work, rather than cut them out (literally);
can often allow system to self adjust to target.
(Partially goes back to not pulling against side lean with rope, but pulling to target; forcing stronger hinge theory/ grow hinge stronger , not weaker)
Felling just the extreme example, i always look to cross-verify with powerful uses in bucking and climbing
to apply same mechanics and then prove them again also from the different perspectives.
Most real gems have many facets to view them thru like this to get whole picture;
to then distill out the most powerful essentials to focus on exploiting, confidentally.

edit:
Never heard that before Stig... could you tell us more about the cut in particular how much bypass and what does more flexibility do?? hold longer or hold stronger etc??
thanks
Have tried to show on Dutch step, drop face (on low side of step in face) can be more flexible than slant face.
i'd keep to better wood, as i picture the slant drop as more bolstering the hinge than a sheer drop where a block, not wedge removed from low side of stepped /tiered face.

Pic on crossed cuts, tapered hinge, purposeful step-dutchman;
shows again faceCut bypasses down or across vertical fiber stack.
note rotational/leveraged push/pull combination in last graphic (arrows)
(Older pic;drawing style probably late 90's)
threads.GIF

BARBER CHAIR
When playing with immense force ranges; anything can happen...
i think of Barber Chair as a split decision;
In felling, some part of the tree is always pushing back as tree comes forward;
Tree Stall is when this back pressure matches the forward pressure AND tree stays whole;
Tree Barber Chair being when most of the tree is still lunging forward, as integral part of the front will not(2 systems),
>> upper part of tree tumbling over, maybe resting on the front stand your ground part.
>>not allowing massive forces that can't be held; to roll forward/be relieved, giving split decision/overcoming the constitution of the spar
Mostly hard head lean or wind loading approximating same,
perhaps backcut not proceeding fast enough to provide enough relief fast enough.
Sometimes, too early a close in face, accidental Dutchman, is like path of tree blocked as lunges forward
Light, straight grained trees seem to tend more towards Barber Chair,
Almost similarly internal faults seen or unseen can create not a 'monolith' coming forward,
>>but separate 'plates'/layers that can jam against each other giving similar backpressure

If she starts crackling, need to backcut faster or run faster!
>>anything else is about like saying:
>> will be ok walking home at night at start of 'Criminal Minds' episode(this could be reaaaaaal bad and hurt a lot)!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9O7H9qWdquk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can 2nd guess this man and see defect, that could have just as well been hidden.
Could have cut out defect, maybe minimized defect side and pulled to other side, bind trunk etc.
Man on point is obvious pro, that thought he had this;
knew when he didn't have it knew to 'get the Hell outta Dodge';
was confident enough to step away and start camera.
>>but i don't think was planning on capturing what he did..
Anyone of us could be running from the monster crashing down..

http://www.mytreelessons.com/barberchair%201.swf

great general tnvalleywoodclub.org Tree_Felling_Presentation.pdf
Wayback Machine / web.archive.org preserved old OSHA 90's site taken down, lots of great basic info/general hinging
>>WAYBACK machine (from Mr.Peabody/Sherman cartoon WABAC machine) opened on web 2001, they already had web pages back to 1996.
>>GREAT source for extinct or CHANGED web pages(authors can prevent crawling thru robot.txt like for stopping google page scan)!
Don't see lot of forum info archive though

Nice fiber pull seems balanced inline;
i think of the hinge compression (pivot) to tensioned fibers (leveraged support) pattern across hinge
As an 'eclipse' of pattern change thru the hinge; as you alter the CoG sideload angle across the long axis profile/length of the hinge.
If keep same sideload angle keeps same pattern of stresses compression/tension across hinge.
>>vary other loading factors such as weight, length, forward across narrow axis profile of hinge to change the intensity of the pattern
as long as keep sideload angle same, compressions and tensions fingerprint stay same pattern across hinge
>>giving forensic clues after felling to preceding force pattern/before felling.
L-earn to read not only your stumps, but another man's easily gives more lessons!
>>many raw factors are the same in rope fiber as in tree fibers force patterns.
i truly believe, if'n you can see a rig or a tree felling as weightless forms with CoG's to pivot schematic in head; it is easier and more intuitive to innately make the right mechanically correct moves!
Grooming each laced knot like a craftsman making an architecture to these most raw and correct defining concepts.
Correctly understanding what you are watching retrains eye for what it translates to brain for split second decisions.....
To me, tree is empty, weightless, rigid shape
whose forces are just a see-saw fight of active load vs. passive hold;
thru the leverages to the common,shared central pivot in between force wise (even if not physically);
that takes on both their loads; like a pulley as central pivot taking on
>>both the tensions of incoming and outgoing parts of line to pulley.
+ inline forces directly over this pivot!
cog_1.png

The shape offers load and support forcepoint positions that are within it's domain;
but then we must plot the forcepoint positions to find how the forces race thru the system;
as satiating equal/opposites; and everything is balanced/ not moving;
if there is imbalance the load moves to the new balanced position (mo'fo not satiated, leaves!);
the motion itself making up the imbalance in the formulae for the time being!
Everything is in balance, because if not / it changes until it is; the changes themselves make up the imbalance!
So everything is really in balance!
>>this also gives handy checksum to formulaes!
Totally leveraged tree:
cog_2.png

partially leveraged tree:
CoG is the initiating forcepoint
pivot is most loaded forcepoint
>>Nature is lazySmart and takes 1st avail. support (if any) as most loaded pivot forcepoint
(IF/when no support/free-fall; CoG is the most loaded point; and thus becomes pivot.)
cog_3.png

TAPERED HINGE LOGIC
In my own internal imagery of tree shape as a weightless, rigid container in which exists CoG weight ball that gives the shape weight force;
just as battery empowers wiring.
>> i think of the narrow path across hinge as how i urge the empty,weightless shape concept to fold
>> while longer axis of hinge/with more leverage against force; is used to control the CoG actual force in the shape
Face where you want the tree to fold to; but control any offset weight distribution by shape of the length across hinge, to Tapered Hinge concept.
Essentially use an offset support, for an offset loading!
tapered_hinge_logic.png

If you are a handyman etc. that always just fells into the lean; this concept doesn't apply; can use'generic' straight, simple hinge(because CoG in unique position that lines up to fall)
>>or if always have straight pure inline pine pole that routinely give false forward lean with rope or wedge
BUT, for those that an 'easy lay down' is not the standard, but rather a unique instance;where the standards are:
>>getting a limb to move sideways when pulls down as the same mechanix as
>>getting a tree to fall beside the lean force not into
Tapered Hinge gives the offset control, to the offset lean, properly
>>while a generic straight hinge, cuts the most leveraged, necessary fiber positions, from what tree is using most!!!
Another reason i think to not fell into lean when can; softer hit(and practice)!
>>felling directly into force of CoG would be into most fierce pull of the force
>>using tree to fight itself and consume some of the CoG force,and not feeding directly into strongest pull; logically less than full force fell to me.
The backcut should reduce the leveraged restriction to the shape's PATH FLOW
>>BUT while maintaining support leverage across length to control the CoG FORCE FLOW to that same path!!
>>Don't let the CoG force shear the shape it control from given path to target
So, we look to control the empty weightless shape with 1 leveraged aspect of hinge and the force with another leveraged aspect of hinge.
i wouldn't use a generic/simple strip hinge for a really side loaded tree/limb scenario;
anymore than would use Tapered Hinge for an easy lay forward into the CoG w/o sidelean!
Simply the wrong mechanic to the pre-existing force flow pattern saw cuts into!

So, simply for a load that the CoG weight is offset from the path to target;
>>we just offset the pull of the tension fiber positions to fit where Nature already has these pressure patterns.
Many hinge patterns will give the same fold forward resistance to the scenario
>>we pick one that simply also fits the load imbalance across, with a responding imbalance across hinge to fold balanced to target.
COMPRESSION LOGIC: DANGEROUS DUTCHMANS
Compression is more DANGEROUS to play with, as the tree is more confronting it's own mounting forces to control,rather than the tension side where you are pulling away from the control/eventual tearoff as relief; compression is mo'in'yo'face!.
Just as tensions can be imbalanced against a load from rear, compression/face close imbalance can offer similar in front per the red/blue active patterns in response to the CoG!
BUT, can be so powerful, more unpredictable; the lesson here mostly is how it functions, and why NOT to do it!
To show logically how much force pattern, impact of change and why to machine front face perfectly so as to not accidentally invoke/call-up these forces!
Dutchman blocks path from raging forward forces of tree felling to redirect,can be kinda like brushing a tree that throws the fall off, only the Dutchman is in the mechanics of the face itself, not in the field of the fall.
The most oft made Dutchman; is the accidental, full face kerf one where the typical bottomcut that is perpendicular to the grain/fiber bypasses the other/upper face cut.
This smaller kerf face within over rules the main face and closes very fast and sudden, AND offers no path of relief as the internal forces keep raging forward into the deadstop full across path. This can give a 'split decision' of a Barber Chair where the war of internal forces over rules the constitution of the tree container; possibly splintering parts of it!

More properly we would only Dutch block the sidelean side; offer the offside as the open path;
that Tapered Hinge is pulling also to in harmony.
We'd do this by kerf to that sideLean CoG side only, wood block in that face OR dropping the other offside face lower.
Whatever gives us face compression imbalance, as Tapered Hinge gives tension imbalance!
BUT, can be much more unpredictable especially at tree felling load ranges; especially multiplying more with faster/stronger fold for more face slam and then so the response...
Once again, realizing power,backing away, making sure don't accidentally invoke; this is just a discussion...
BUT, in lower loading ranges of climbing and bucking; i have found plenty of safer utility in the practice.
i still speak in standard felling scenario to show power, brutality and why not to do..
Tension control is given,but rips free; compression control keeps confronting itself!
Compression is push in face, start by closing sideLean side earlier, to push earlieras offside doesn't push.
BUT, we can have a change in mechanix; when the Dutch close on sideLean side becomes so intense;
>>and loads higher than the hinge compression; i say the pivot of the worx changes to the more loaded Dutch point
>>This gives HIGH impact of change suddenly in system, because changing central pivot changes CoG load leverage to less,and gives more leverage to Tapered Hinge support at same time!!
ALSO, earlier tear off on sideLean is possible, allowing powerful swing to offside
>>because part of mechanix of compression side of hinge in these scenarios is 'anti-swing' to stabilize against over correct!!!
Suddenly less leveraged side load and more leveraged support thru whole system!
CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS SUDDEN UNPREDICTABLE CHANGE
>>IN REAL TIME >> WITH REAL LIVES !!
i say again, my friend: "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
In using some in climbing for help sweep limb across, or bucking top compression:
i simply go with Dutch concept on the vertical gravity line(where it wants to go is sideLean force);
only Dutch low for limb sweep and high for top compression scenarios.
For sideways sweep, i once again Dutch block (downward) path force CoG wants to go and offer side path of relief reachable by CoG.
Similarly in top bind bucking; i Dutch block (upward) path force wants to go(high noon), and offer lesser pinch sidepath of relief (to about 1:30 of same 'clock').
In each instance this is a combination punch with the Tapered Hinge doing it's thang from opposite rear field.
This orchestration of force controls is very powerful dance to clean up/ballast sideLean force to target.
(realizing in climbing, the downpull of gravity is the sideLean to desired path; in top bind bucking most severe pinch is topside/consider as sideLean to desired path off to side at less severe pinch)
i don't ever try to spirit limb horizontal pure sideways 90degress from gravity forceFlow; always give some 15degree or so sliding relief drop.
This is consistent, with not really trying to play these games in felling with CoG greater than 75degrees from path; playing with power, don't go out of your powerband .
Don't go for the last 15degrees in either case; this is very powerful stuff, but so are the other forces!

Good to know the mechanism, but it works only if you can rely on the hinge's quality.
The brittle wood just snaps way too early and can't oppose force to the dutchman.

This last week, I pruned (heavily) 22 maples and horse-chestnuts. It was mostly bombing stuff, but with avoiding the close big building (5 levels) and a bunch of light poles. I tried to rotate away many limbs to be sure. Good practice. But I got almost nothing as a swing with both species. Actually, I was far to get the first 15* for all the limbs, just snap ! The tops were a little more conciliating, but not that much. The horse chestnuts gave rather a limp break than a snap, but it ended with the same results. A pair of light poles were a bit scared, I have to say. No damage though, but it was close.

Certainly, certainly; the outer constraints are the genetics then the condition of the tree.
We view things at full power, to determine the range here; then define all else within those confines.
Weaker, more brittle Ash etc. would not hold itself to the works as well, would not give the leverage-able weight as much
>>and be more brittle to tension stretches and barberChair risks as well i think would be fair as examples.
In my area i look at Live Oaks as majestic, has all these good workable properties (and healths); glorious double cambium thick bark
>>but 'cheaper' made Water Oak locally, grows faster/weaker in trade(thin, watery bark); and in all ways only has a percentage of any attribute of my benchmark Live Oak.
Not really magicians; but sometimes close enough to blur the line as we restrict almighty gravity to just a myth; before twisting it's straight line forceFlow to our arc-ed bidding to chosen target!
i think these simple forces are all around us; so generic they blur to the background and can't see them, but in trees we play with these at such a grand scale, is like viewing forces under microscope to see what has been there all along; then can find everywhere!
Perhaps ropes and pivots scream their lessons,but must listen with eyes, hands (not advisable in real time); leaving only some forensic artifacts/hysteretics footprints to trace. Except if can see deeply into worx with mind's eye('peer-a-mid power') or hopefully some sensitive devices still partially on horizon to more fully know these secrets.
Re-cap:Faced sideLean/assume some typical forward lean home/to target; tension safer than compression control
>>still maintain weightless tree
will dd the 1 CoG forcePoint to load system, defines pivot (first avail. support point) and thus CoG leverages:
BENCHMARK: compressed part of hinge as machine pivot/central works,is the most loaded machine part;
add Input Power Source: Leveraged forces of CoG;REALIZE contains forces that are pro, con or neutral to path across hinge
Break CoG pro/con/neutral package of forces of to 3 dimensions(really only worry about dim3):
dim1: part of tree weight that is inline with gravity to pivot (compressed part of hinge)
>>thus these loads neutral to the equation(no worries/neutral)
dim2: path across narrow/minimal support axis of hinge, that is also perpendicular to dim1
>>dim2 pulls home to target(no worries)
dim3: 3rd dimension perpendicular to both previous dims
>>sideloadings ; distracting other 2 dims forces from target(neutralize)
All 3 dims meet at pivot (compressed part of hinge)
Generally let dim2 forces carry self and dim1/neutrals home to target,
like a marble wants to lightly go where i want it to on board, simply let it!
>>dim3 distractions to marble; neutralize w/ballast of auto-adjusting Tapered Hinge pulling to opposing side (rear field)
>>Thus dim1 forces don't care, dim2 forces pulls hard home, dim3 forces neutralized from equation = marble rolls downhill happily to target
As long as machine doesn't bind at some point; should be good; working just the tension forces to ballast sideLean! (no wind, brushing other trees etc.)
Allows a smooth flowing motion w/o drama
Compression adjustments can actually be more powerful/but volatile/dangerous because can be unrelenting and can require drama to work best; and are powerful enough to violate tree container(barber chair), shift roots etc.
Compression adjustment strategies to sideLean typically have an early pivotal change(hard close) before can tear-off freely; that is VERY high impacting.
Like a pool shot get the most out of a Dutchman shelf 'bumper' by slapping purposefully, hard into the shelf for rebound response, not just lightly placing tree on shelf and allowing to roll off! CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.
Tension gives much control, and shears on overloading; and leaves tree container intact; compression adjusts can take that further/tear apart tree, and can be combined w/tension adjustments
E=MCsquared; is speed squared; compression slap can use speed multiplier, tension control can't
>>speed squared makes speed most important part of force formulae in times of change
>>ALSO sudden change of pivot in mechanix on Dutch close can punch back hard into charging forward forces with disastrous results(barberchair).
(Tho in lower loading climbing and emergency sitback stop in felling :full face dutch can be friend!)
Most early Dutchman shelf compression closes are unintentional(scary),hidden(face within a face), full face(no relief path) and kerf-face(problems of no face + more lean + pivotal change + speed) = possible disasters.
If tree is not a non-binding smooth moving 'monolith'(1 solid piece) ; it can have multiple moving parts that can bind against each other and create Dutchman shelf pushes, even unseen, internally fractured parts can bind against each other with deadly results!
First, the Bad (Good/Bad/Uglies): foolish lil'man w/loud saw invading land of giants doesn't get to go home today!
kerf-dutchman-bc.png

What it is like to lose a crew member to this devil all too easily and accidentally conjured:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uihB6H74KPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Surprise @1.30+ something bound some place and did not flow freely
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IOfm3FEEgSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hidden, internal faults bind to BARBERCHAIR:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9O7H9qWdquk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sometimes the damned things will barberchair on you for no apparent reason.
I posted some pictures this winter of one that scared the crap out of me.
Believe me, we did a lot of stump forensics on that one and to this day, our best guess as to why it happened is: because shit happens!

That is the only time in a tree falling career that started in 1977 and encompasses by a rough count, some 250,000 trees felled, that I've had one which we couldn't explain.

So , with those odds, don't worry about them.

Second video is simply shoddy work.
I'd have been okay with that tree getting one of them.

Last video, all I can say is, it wouldn't have happened to a European faller.
We gut hinges and borecut almost everything.
Have to, with our silly short bars, you know.

That means, the barber chair is a rare animal, this side of the pond.

i must say i consider you as a 1% even amongst our own hear;
Also, as one that shows has tamed stepped faces and can weigh and measure them predictably would make you more likely to read ahead and avert BC beast.
But anyway, on this side of the pond,
guys don't admit to having short bars; but somehow we have pills,commercials, maybe even a discussion group fer ya!
Tho many arguments seen; it does make sense to me that center bore face removes (sometimes) stiffer part of hinge, allowing younger/outer parts of hinge to do the required flexxing with less back pressure from stiffer/larger/older center original mast, more in the brittle range response. Once get even internal cracks; don't have 1 monolith anymore doing 1 thing,have separate internal confronting 'plates' that can bind against each other/not flow and conjure this BC beast!
i mainly focus on wood health in the compression/blue and red/tension areas defined by CoG; and solid container. All else is filler and distance!
To me BC is a machine overload from contradiction of seizing of unstoppable force and container of force/motor blows apart in split decision
>>before getting to this point, many things have a separation fuse of lighter duty to separate load from receiver.
>>in felling, controlling tension fibers and shearing angles across (not inline)can be this fuse
>>as well as offering other paths that maintain machine connection to more relief away from bind for raging forces to rush to flow to
Setting INLINE compression force X exponential speed multiplier and changing the machine mechanix w/o releif path can be hazardous!:
Also,it is key same mechanix aren't invoked by internal separation of parts, we want to worry about a single monolith, not separate parts jamming!!
barberChair-from-rotation-resistance.png

i try to neuter-alize sideLean with 'weighted ballast' of Tapered Hinge tension (like sand bags) pull from start of motion
>> to leave easier forces of just a forward lean scenario.;
>>forward side leaner minus side lean is simple forward leaner>>cut and just let marble roll into hole nicely w/o sideLean dis-tracktions!
i see Dutchman as more of a compression adjustment to path already in progress(perhaps ballast action, but not a sandbag ballast device)
>>thus invoking confrontation of velocity squared with SUDDEN impact to change course of force flow
i favour Tapered Hinge as my offSide(Dent) ballast against sideLean (offsetting each other across pivot of compressed part of hinge)
>>sometimes this isn't enough and/or need sudden change to steer away from obstacle later in fall; so might add pepper spice of Dutch Step; but really mostly when can play to build more confidence using at smaller power scale of climbing cutz.
i visualize and show at full glory (and devastation) the full power extremes of felling as Dent's felling bible for most magnified view to explore;
tho have found more usage in the safer load ranges that don't BC of climbing and bucking cuts for the same Dutch step/shelf/tiered face mechanix.
A full face kerf Dutchman(accidental) has uses purposeful usages outside of felling , and not part of this example
(tho in sit-back backcut becomes full face Dutchman is anti-(further)-rollback safety friend ; that deeper face cuts reduce leverage of)
>>a full face kerf Dutchman offers no path of force relief only confrontation; step Dutchman offers offside as open path to raging forces
Not much written on this powerful path, some blurring of names
For discussion, correction etc. these are the names i personally know/call the 1 sided Dutchies things by(and some risks etc.):
dutchman-step-kerf-swing.png

Part of added dangers here are that to really use step hard you throw into it hard;
purposefully like needing to bounce cue ball across table from bumper, not just ease into it, and roll along it!
This makes this fast paced power, need to already know how you, saw, wood, helpers, legs, ground, shoes, shoelaces etc. react
>>in fast paced preciping on emergency circumstances
Far as i know there are no quick studies in that, literally takes a decade(s) of mean and stupid running at what most would have enough sense of running from.
Some lines you can't find except by crossing and then sorting their lessons i know;
>>but all is for naught if you can't make it back for another day!

Complimented!
Have tried to show should have a side dimension in hinge/face for management of sideLean CoG
Watching 3 force points in rigid force container/domain of tree: CoG as initiating force,and then responding compressions and tensions w/their length/angles between these points.
>>Tapered Hinge gives 'cabled' 'weighted' auto-ballast from start of movement
>>Step-Dutchman is a later adjustment to path
Both Tapered Hinge and Step Dutchman give a side dimension of control against sideLean force
Just using Tapered Hinge as ballast to neutralize 3d sideLean scenario to a 2d forward scenario is more 'gracefull'
BUT speed-squared (x Mass) part of Einstein's Energy formulae makes Dutchman potentially more 'brutally' powerful; capitalizing on force that escapes Tapered Hinge ballast control, in some cases as an over-run control, and both strategies work well together many times. Also, for most magnified effect from Tapered Hinge we move slow, but for most effect from Dutchman we may look to multiply effect by fast movement; making even more dangerous in confusion and power at t he same time!
Dutchman invoking speed-squared force with impacting change, in full size felling is so powerful and then given no relief path(as in full face kerf Dutchman from crossed faceCuts) for the raging forward forces to flood to can lead to seizing and even corrupting container to BarberChair; this is no kid's game of pitting all of tree's force against itself until it comes apart!
But, if 'sitback', we do trust the resulting full face kerf Dutchman not to let scenario become a 'rollback'.
In other lower loading scenarios,mostly for climbers, full face kerf Dutchman can be quite friendly, even pre-ferred for staging up to cleanest, healthiest finishing cut in trimming.
usable-full-face-kerf-dutchmans.png

Below shows why a tree 'picks' a round support shape for most even loading/least impacting across the leveraged paths across round support structure. How saw changes this support shape to having different support leverages on different axises across hinge. And some of the considerations of the shape and position of hinge. (F) shows a Full Face Kerf Dutchman as a safety, but then how a deeper face can reduce this safety, and wedge force leverage also.
hinge-shape-position-tree-support-options.png

In adding another 'forcePoint' of wedge push or rope pull, to the 3 forcePoints: CoG, compressions and tensions
i look to in general load more force across hinge during it's 'forging' to 'exercise' it stronger to target direction/not against 'anti-target' (sideLean).
Pulling with rope or pushing with wedge in directions to reduce side loading of sideLean, can 'forge' weaker hinge i think.
Also, pull/push leveraged force against sideLean would be that force multiplied by it's leveraged distance/angle more nominally against sideLean. But, use that same force volume input to force stronger hinge can stack the hinge leverage multiplier on top of the added push/pull leverage. So chains in another multiplier; and then persists until tearoff push/pull added to target when forging hinge,rather than exerting same force against sideLean.
Wedge push naturally stops when tree lifts, stopping wedge force input. You can still try to keep pulling rope,but if to face /target direction and tree is committed to target and will keep moving,rope pull is adding load against hinge support/weakening it to purpose of support, just like keeping cutting after tree will go where you want is weakening hinge control. Mostly look to force stronger hinge during it's 'forging' by exercising it stronger with greater loading, and then relieving extra load on stronger hinge; giving hinge more power band to manage rotation on hinge by massive tree.
i TRULY hope all the Dutchman pix actually serve as guide to why to make perfect square faces;
in felling as a forging against all the mechanics that can be conjured/invoked otherwise(especially accidentally)!
i like the force studies, and useful mechanix at lower loading ranges of climbing/bucking; not the full loading of felling. Simply seek to face to path axis; and handle sideLean across via countering Tapered Hinge tension as ballast to neutralize the sideLean part of force, and just leave forward lean scenario to target i think is best for felling.
In felling looking at mostly why not to let Dutchman get invoked, especially accidentally (horizontal bypassing face cut), especially full face, especially by single kerf; and how similar faults can happen internally if cracked across path allows internal 'plates' to similarly seize/bind/overload across force flow path of fall that you must always watch for in the movement. You want the giant monster to move cleanly and smoothly away from you, so you get to go home that day!

i think this is really all math; each thing you do/don't do during setup gives a logical instruction to the mechanix that plays out when light fuse/backcut enough to set to motion.
i think hinge strength is forced or 'forged' by the FORWARD pulls to target;
then spar rotates on hinge with that strength setting of hinge.
We can fake load more forward force with wedge/rope devices to exercise /forge hinge stronger while backcutting.
But, then favour stop pulling rope when tree is committed, for this would be extra load against said hinge strength, operation is in a different phase now.
i think it is best to teach eye what is really happening in this math, so gives more of true vision when sees something and hands off info to brain.
Might have to crunch some numbers to catch the rhythm of the flow of forces.
>>but in actual usage usually just need to remember benchmarks, patterns, redlines etc. once have looked at closely enough to get a fair grip on what's happening.
The ancients decoded this and handed it down after cracking the code for us!
Everything has a finite length and force
cosine (columnSine) is simply 0-1 'percentage' of length/force in a column/line between forcePoints
sine (sin) is the non/anti flow perpendicular to the straight and narrow path of the columnSine.
orrrrrrr something like that!
angular_force_potentials_2.png

After surviving another 'rush' hour trip on I4(rated most dangerous US hiway for about a decade now); i swear i wasn't going to capture/post these lawnmen trees(this is hard work, they got'em down, not huge undertakings etc.), until i came around the corner further and saw this surprise overnight guest:
work-trees-saw-pinch-in-backlean.png

i think we would have boiled a man raw to make skin easier to pull off; before salting the man down and trolling still kicking behind boat for gator bait if they left saw there or perhaps even got into this position. Kinda like hey if i should be able take a joke, so should you kinda camaraderie...

i was talking about it when i clocked in, and a guy wanted to go take powerhead if i admitted had scwrench. i told the fool that i did what i urged our boys to l-earn: a sense of other's things being like other's dirty sweat socks; i'd favor only picking up my own or collecting for own family kinda instinct, and if had to mess with someome else's would be to give them back to them, not carry them around. Seems he already thought i was weird; and this convinced him....

Further lessons in how not to pro-ceed in land of the giants:

work-trees.png

Fucntional points remain consistent even in these smaller examples:

Well machined faces across full breadth of stump gives less loading, more flexible hinge; simply as a martial arts wider stance is more stable. But still must be in consideration of the initiating force of the Center of Gravity point that dictates lean.

In the weightless tree model, there are no forces; until add CoG forcePoint.

>>THEN leveraged force thus compression pivot and tension ballast forcePoints form, that saw cuts alter to carry forces differently. Getting 'too happy' with saw can remove key leverage points.

If not enough bar length: get bigger bar or cut to almost 2x bar length(cutting from either side); if need more bar length get it or center punch face to maintain wider apart hinging points on thinner hinge type profile especially being sole simple machine of support and steering of the leveraged mass of tree , knowing you are scaling up to setting into motion as a further force multiplier of risk and responsibility!!

Leaving the saw was a moron move.

Except that, since the 200/201 sport ouboard sprockets, the only way to remove the powerhead would be to somehow take the clutch off. But the saw looks so pinned that it would be hard to even get the side cover off.

Incredibly bonehead to even think about trying to cut that heavy backleaner in that fashion.

Oh, I won't argue that removing a powerhead in that situation can be a real PITA and sometimes impossible!

Back