Hinging

Great to have you posting in the House again, Kenny. Best wishes from this old friend from many years past.

Murph, we have at least one government agent in the house, so we don't generally ask that question. I don't think we ever even learned for which government the missions serve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for delay, have had both brain cells at high speed swirl in think tank;
trying to get depth of field rite on fiber stack
sometimes takes awhile fer me to come up for air or light she says..
Burnham ol'friend i was so much hoping you'd join our humble hinging thread!
Viewing issue, i'd treat as browser related and try other internet browser, then updates:
Chrome is Flash partner/embedded >>update browser
FireFox etc. update extension/add on
IE still own special animal, only browser embedded in OS, update activeX etc.
(programmers still write sections for IE and then for rest of browsers)
Here is .zip download,
would then have to open with Flash locally or drag/drop to supporting browser
hingeFiber_1.png

Are you sure the bypass is worse if the horizontal cut extends rather than the vertical??? I get the theory, but have you seen it happen like that in the field.. In a way its a subject for speculation only as no bypass is always the goal, (unless of course you;re cutting an intentional dutchman..

For hinging in general i've studied all my cuts i could before/after and any i could try to decipher of other's cuts forensically.
i try to see/ examine in regular felling, cross compair to climbing and heavy bucking.
i think in heavy bucking top compression, most severe compression is to top/12 noon,
so favor 'swing dutchman type fold to about 1.30 on the clock, dutchman going to top like it was the heavy side lean pushing to 1.30 as less severe force etc.
But work to show all principles work at bucking and cutting aloft angles and still hold true.
Also, a favorite examination is with the preciseness of the handsaw while climbing or even some on the ground.
Perhaps cut small face with chainsaw, mebbe even start backcut. But can finish face/ try bypasses, finish back cut and fold by hand.
In right ranges, can even find something that doesn't work, open face up and adjust and pull again.
"Feel" and know the resistance. Especially in the question of vertical bypass vs. horizontal dutchman i've seen/felt the difference in these smaller scales and expect principles to carry to larger scales and seem to see same thing. Horizontal dutchman seems to give stop, where vertical bypass seems to give interruption to fold, but can keep going mostly.
This is the logic/pictures i putt to it, to imagine it as i carve, and stay within rules, give each action and inaction purpose to target and models to make intuitive that i've thought in. i try to show/distill to what i think is important base principals, for in most things find real powerful tricks just 1 step above clean basics! i know i say some controversial stuff, starting with being new guy on ISA bbs in 90's and saying climber self-lift was 2:1; but in all humility,must honestly claim a rather strong score of being 'spot-on'.
i have no clinical pruf, but this is what i believe i've decoded from what i've seen; the best i've been able to 'draw' them out of me.
i believe i've seen scant references to horizontal dutchman worser than vertical bypass from others over time as well.

My ISA bbs disclaimers:
For enlightened discussion purposes only / personal mileage may vary / use at your own risk!

Img27.jpg

To extend disclaimer:
i've worked mostly in midFlorida, with certain range of species, and not with frozen woods.

hingeFiber_3.png

Shows hinge theory applied to side lean.
Work to make nominal force yellow fibers not dominantly populated / only nominally populated!
Allow hinge to take advantage of in place forces/mechanics; not eliminate those aids.

hingeFiber_5.png

Are you sure the bypass is worse if the horizontal cut extends rather than the vertical??? I get the theory, but have you seen it happen like that in the field.. In a way its a subject for speculation only as no bypass is always the goal, (unless of course you;re cutting an intentional dutchman..

Of course it is.
A vertical bypass is what one does on purpose in a "German" cut, to get more flexibility in the hinge.

i seek to work by feel; so played with hand saw cuts in air when clearing branches, and hung on them to fold,
pushed back open, cut some more face/backcut/ played with the face/hinge/sidelean mechanics;
if head wasn't heavy enough, pulled on with rope to imitate sidelean.
until i intuitively/instinctively knew and felt what was going on inside of a hinge/close and what simple things change that.
Sometimes just to slow motion bend on super strong hinge and hand off from over roof to rig or freefall out; but all slow/control/no rig imapct.

Turning this upside down;
all intentional dutchman to push in face are shown as horizontal dutchman not vertical bypass in all their climbing/felling/ bucking forms
(i like testing theories to work/cross-verify as same in all 3 phases, then should also be able to lift w/crane in reverse felling and say what will happen or theory wrong) .
In felling, another reason for coming in well above root crown, to be hitting straight, predictable grains; that i know how i'm hitting them.
In climbing, snapcut: kerf straight under, narrow sides, to come down fast and try to get slam close trying to make so hard it pops forward,
settle for straight dropdown/no kickback behind cut.
climb: Hop top over fence: horizontal kerf only to get pop/launch rather than bend/flex.
buck: Limb-lock: hit grain at perpendicular angle for similar reasons.
fell: Don't want slanted backcut, so if tree sits back it is into solid column of tree/ not across a weaker backstop;
also same for wedging backpressure/backstop support.

As to wedging and pulling.
i direct to target; not against side lean.
i see unloading side lean as a nominal applied force 1-1 against sidelean; and only that control while exerted.
But push/pull to target as forcing more hinge, then using that as a leveraged multiplier against sidelean instead;
this strength then persists in hinge after wedge/rope force removed.
i look at faking the physics and making hinge think/respond that tree is heavier, to force/fold with more hinge.
Also, forcing populating more tension/red fibers countering side load w/process.
NOT faking hinge to think tree is less side loaded by unloading some side lean w/countering wedge/rope!
NOT then letting wedge/rope stop countering sidelean, and this SUDDENLY/ IMPACTING as change on the hinge pulls mid-stream!!
Grow hinge stronger, not weaker as you are birthing it to point to start folding!
Populate them angry REDs properly; give'em a fighting chance, prep them for the battle of their life!
Every push/pull/angle/length etc. is a mechanical instruction we make/don't make or allow for.
Once tree is committed properly, should then unload fake load, let forced stronger hinge carry now lighter tree!
Wedge placed right does this automatically as tree lifts off of it;
rope can be pulled too much and cause faster fall.
Generally try for slower fall / less damage; UNLESS need to punch thru other trees;
or looking for less stress on stump (weak parts, possibility of breaking underground pipes thru roots etc. as stump takes on 'brake-loading' fn).
Or not pulling fiber to hard near branch collar; as same difference braking physics coming from 'stump' can take it's toll.
Sometimes steer against sidelean to save wood, steer from anti-target, practice skills, but also to not feed straight into hardest pull of gravity, but to softer side fall/some gravity forces exhausted steering. On some sweeps can even get across hit, rather than slam straight on to ground.
We've even played around some and forced too many REDS by pulling forward and with sidelean, to then have tree pull around too far
(once again testing by turning theory upside down as check sum; physics should play same tune forward/backwards;my get dog/wife/house back theory tester!)
This is a time where having blue all the way out to bark can help with anti-spin as a leveraged point of resistance.

Back