2016 and HitchHiker. can you help me RE: Static lines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yep. crazy tall poles where you are sir.
how high did you have to shoot to get that line set?
big shot up 120' ?

lots of low widely spread buggers here.
some taller spreaders as well.

IMG_2326.jpg

You can also tie on a shorter hank of rope for the anchor and use the longer for climbing. Sort of a floating TIP.

Example at about 3:11
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTPR2P54RwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

right on.
thanks again for all the advice.
it's making the transition much easier.

CurSedVoyce i'm going to have to memorize your video
off to work!

UpDate!

I've been able to put the HH2 to good use on several jobs.
one of which wouldn't have been possible with out it.

i've just got a selection of friction cord to try out.
and i'm going to whip the ends of all of them.
they are....
Ocean Polyester 10mm
Armor-Prus 8mm
EpiCord 9.3mm
Arbpro 9mm
Sterling RIT 9mm

i also grabbed a 200' length of HTP.

would any of you recommend whipping the ends of that?

All have great reviews, IME the O poly takes a while to break in.

The HH is a great compact tool, makes me look like I know how to climb. Love it when on spurs, I'll flip up with it and my lanyard at the same time, an easy choke and tend the slack and get cutting.

Interested to hear how you like the htp. Did you get 11mm?

So far I am digging srt alot! Can't believe I've done without itThe hitchhiker is great but tending on the arbormaster leaves a little to be desired. Picked up a hank of sterling tendril from treestuff. I am hoping it will tend better, stay rounder, and have a bit less bounce. Also picked up some 9mm RIT and 8mm OP to try with it.

ah, i'm glad you checked in. i was just thinking about replying to your question..

i did a climb with the HH2 and BRW last week in spurs in the rain and the beeline/brw worked flawlessly

it was a very dead whitepine removal with the TIP in a taller adjacent pine.

i'm going to say that the yale is a firmer, not picky and a bit smoother in the hh2

i will definitely report back when i've had a chance to climb on the sterling addiction.

really looking forward to that.

here's my whiplock job on a few friction cords.
whiplocks.jpg

Left to Right

ArbPro 9mm
Ocean Poly 10mm
ArmorPrus 8mm
EpiCord 9.3mm
BeeLine 10mm
Sterling RIT 9mm

Whenever I cut a new hitch cord I pull about an inch of the core out of the jacket and cut it then pull jacket back over it and tape it tight. Makes it easy to put through the dog bone

fantastic advice and thank you!

ach.
i've already whiplocked the lot of the cord but i think some of the larger ones could stand to have that treatment.

Hi R0ck1R0ck2,
Are you still around? I am in the market for a new climbing rope and wanted to tap into the tribal wisdom here. I re-read this thread so I don't waste your time. I have been rec climbing on the HH2 and Yale 11.7 since 2016 based on suggestions in this thread. It's been a great rope and I might buy another! But...I have an itch to go with the Samson V series. I have caught the splicing bug and want to be able to make a lanyard if I ever needed to cut the end off my climbing line. I have successfully spliced Yale Blue Moon (thanks to Nicks video series) but if I had to choose I would rather splice Samson any day! I had a very long Velocity 11mm lanyard which I tried with the HH2 today. It works ok but is kinda skinny. Has anyone used Voyager 11.8mm in the HH? I am also interested in the Vortex 12 mm. I readthat you (Rocker) liked it and I think Peter up in Canada did also. Has anyone recently used Vortex in the HH? Does Vortex fit well in ascenders?
Eric
HHX and HH2.jpg

Last edited:
Vortex is 12.7 and is my go to rope with the HH2. It makes for a fantastic tree working combo, strong and smooth with a static feel while working but has some ability to stretch in an overload situation.

If my good friend Dave suggests anything regarding rope/mechanicals/mixed media...I listen very closely. I know of no one who has a fraction of his broad and deep knowledge, combined with truly solid work scenario experience, in this niche.

Burnham: Strong recommendation. I will be all ears!
Dave: I appreciate your feedback on Vortex. I will go ahead with that rope. I was a little concerned about how it fits in a foot or knee ascender. I found a short piece and tried it out. No problem. What hitch cord do you like with vortex? I played a little low and slow with Marlow Boa and the HHX today but I don't have it dialed in yet. I might be able to go with a larger diameter cord.

Yeah, Vortex runs fine through all the rope grabs that I have but it is a soft rope and can pick easily when new. Not really a problem though. Vortex has a lot of grip potential so you can normally use less wraps or run a looser hitch than you would on a firmer and thinner rope.

I am still using some 9mm ArbPro that I got a few years ago. It works well, lasts a long time but is getting tough to find. Both 8mm and 10mm ArmorPrus work well but it is pricey stuff. Surprisingly, I like the 8mm better. Of course the old style Beeline also works. I have not found the HH2 to be as fussy with cords as much as how those cords are tied and adjusted. With so many new cords out now you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't play around with some.

As you work through different setups don't settle for mediocre performance. The HH2 can work as well as any tool I have tried when dialed in but nothing out there can match its compact, rugged, straight through design.

I have not found the HH2 to be as fussy with cords as much as how those cords are tied and adjusted. With so many new cords out now you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't play around with some.

As you work through different setups don't settle for mediocre performance. The HH2 can work as well as any tool I have tried when dialed in but nothing out there can match its compact, rugged, straight through design.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I have Richards video of different HHX hitches and am working through them.

Good luck, Eric. Having tried many hitch configurations I still prefer a simple four wrap with the cross on the spine side. I suspect that most people that become discouraged with the HH have been using too much hitch.

Or they tie it with the cross on the wrong side.

It can't be beat for ruggedness. As much as we are never supposed to cross-load anything, hopping down through crotches, SRS/SRT is a huge benefit of the system. It's possible to get a bad descent, time to time, when really pushing your angles, or in a weird spot. I 'knew' the ZZ (gen.1) was underkill the first time I looked at it.