Chainsaw Dawgs! (Falling Spikes)

Grendel

TreeHouser
More about this little 550XP. . .

So having one large dog on the saw was only marginally better than the small single that it came with. I lost about 2" of bar without any real control or accuracy gains. It kept the bark off the muffler, but that was about it. I did some prowling around looking for custom falling spikes, and it turns out there are several guys putting out some pretty cool stuff.

IMG_20160429_174045364.jpg

IMG_20160429_174058068.jpg

These stainless versions are also available in basically the same configuration for the 562XP, and he's got version for the larger saws as well. I know a lot of guys don't care about spikes, or single vs double, but for me, having a dog on the outside was like discovering fire. These are from Sierradmax over on AS. Fit was perfect. $50 shipped to my door.

Please feel free to offer your thoughts or comments on falling spikes and what their proper role should be.

Cheers.

Dude, that's an absolutely incredible deal. Most guys would want at least a hundred bucks just to mod-up something like that.

I've made up a couple myself, but they've come out kinda weird. Those are cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right! He warned me they were "spendy" :?

I was surprised too, but I suppose, if you own a laser table, you want to use it. . .

Those are real nice. I almost want to buy a set of bigger ones for my 395. And im with you on the thought of felling dogs, 2 is one and 1 is none. How are you liking that 550 so far

yes, nice and heavy duty.
I put an outside dog too on my ms 440 and ms 066. It's very useful to work on the stump and the branch collars, crotches ...
If not, the clutch cover hits first the root flare and slides on it. The inside dog can't even see the bark, no grip at all.
With the both dogs, that eases the work big time, especially for alaping the stump.

Actually, if you want to mount only one dog on your saw, choose the outside dog.
I want to put one on the ms200T and the ms150T but it's less easy.

I was wondering what makes a good dawg? Here's my first try (on the right), not cleaned up yet, ran out of time in the shop today.

IMG_20160506_173243.jpg

The saw and dawgs in the OP look prime. I may have to try one of those 550s.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
18" -- with the spikes it's effectively a 16. Got a 20 for it too, but I don't think I'll use it much. Bigger saws for bigger stuff :evil:

I was wondering what makes a good dawg? Here's my first try (on the right), not cleaned up yet, ran out of time in the shop today.

View attachment 70094
That top spike may not roll smoothly, but maybe it does... otherwise it looks nice.
:lol: you guys aren't serious are you??
dc8a5696947efc766328a98c62c4a369.jpg

yes, nice and heavy duty.
I put an outside dog too on my ms 440 and ms 066. It's very useful to work on the stump and the branch collars, crotches ...
If not, the clutch cover hits first the root flare and slides on it. The inside dog can't even see the bark, no grip at all.
With the both dogs, that eases the work big time, especially for alaping the stump.

Actually, if you want to mount only one dog on your saw, choose the outside dog.
I want to put one on the ms200T and the ms150T but it's less easy.

This......even small trees are pita to cut close to the ground with an inside dog only. I'll leave them tall and cut the stump later with a "double dog" saw.

Ed

Back