Sena industrial

Even with good visibility SENAs are way better than hand signals.
I remember Richard, my partner, asking a crane operator how much lift he had on a Linden branch, then telling him to put 300 kgs more on it.
When he cut it, it just hung there, going neither up or down.
Try doing that with hand signals.

So you have a hand signal for: " Add another 300 kg lift".

I'm impressed.

Signal up, followed by flashing the weight with your fingers. Not a standard signal, but we discussed the lifts beforehand so it was completely expected. A radio is better tho, and we use them for most critical lifts. Dramatically slower pace than a tree removal obviously. There are also other signals that are commonly known, such as i gotta take a dump, speed up your moves, break time, dinner time, and get the hook out of here. There's even one for cable up, you are on my buddy :lol:

I've come back around to hand signals. Seems as though our whole crew went through a phase where each one's mic went out in succession. First the climber, then the ground crew, now me for the past 2 weeks. I've actually been enjoying it not having to enter into senseless banter and jibber jabber. And a good excuse to tap out at times and just work in radio silence. There's more solace in silent stump grinding, for sure. Really starting to appreciate Butch & Reg's perspective on Senas, for sure.

I still like my senas, I discovered that if someone on the ground bumps their jog button and turns off the intercom, I can tap mine and turn them back on...at least that's what I think I did!

I've worked both ways. Senas are frigging awesome. Just don't over use them. They don't have to be on all the time.

Sena for the win.

Somebody is a jabber wocky? Tell them to STFU.

I have told customers before (mostly nicely) to not talk and let me think as I get stuff ready to climb a tree.

Some folks that are not climbers have a thousand questions when I just want them to STFU and let me organize the next few steps.

I tell them I need to focus on what I am about to do...they usually get the message.

Oughta be able to do the same for people you work with. If the climber is the jabber wocky...hell, I don't know. I'm out of answers.

When you can't establish a line of sight, then you do. Involve more signalers. Normally three is enough - but one time I remember using four.

I can very frequently, barely be able to see hi-viz-o-rama. Different trees, different terrain. Particularly for pruning work.

I try to keep as few people involved in any process as practical.

Do they still use exclusively hand-signals on deck. That's a pretty flat surface, btw.

Moi? I haven't been there since '77. I'm sure they all have headsets now, but I bet they still use hand signals.

I keep meaning (like for years now) to buy some headsets.

I reckon every firm has its own peculiar signals.

Pointing two fingers at your eyes=Watch this, pay attention.

Drinking with one hand=fill saw up.

Folding arms=Nothing more will be dropped for the moment safe to clear up.

Pulling overdramatically at your climbing line=pull that friggin' branch off the line you friggin' malingering idiot.

See? It’s easy.

Back