Sena industrial

I just cant buy them wholesale any more , the Senas that is, your best bet IMO is buy a Sena SMH10r set off of Amazon and stick it on whatever helmet you prefer to use. Shoot I can sell you some Kask helmets at cost.

I often teach by asking them what they think they should do. I also keep in mind that my way isn't always the only way
I think often I get over worked and tired, and go with "do it this way" because I think it's going to get us done sooner.

I am in no way attached to my way, if someone else has a better way.

Probably not the best for teaching. I do take time to go over theory and best practices stuff. I'm totally learning this whole passing on knowledge thing.

I just cant buy them wholesale any more , the Senas that is, your best bet IMO is buy a Sena SMH10r set off of Amazon and stick it on whatever helmet you prefer to use. Shoot I can sell you some Kask helmets at cost.

That is crazy.

Probably not the best for teaching. I do take time to go over theory and best practices stuff. I'm totally learning this whole passing on knowledge thing.

I agree. I'm also learning how to teach. I've got a good one trying to learn from me. He asks a lot of questions and seems to ask at mostly the right times. I only really stop him from certain things when I see a high risk for injury or property damage. If something goes a bit wrong we go over it and I add what I think he could do better. He actually took his first top out the other day while on Spurs. Nervous as a cat. Another good thing is he seems to know when it's crunch time and I need to take over to meet production.

I agree. I'm also learning how to teach. I've got a good one trying to learn from me. He asks a lot of questions and seems to ask at mostly the right times. I only really stop him from certain things when I see a high risk for injury or property damage. If something goes a bit wrong we go over it and I add what I think he could do better. He actually took his first top out the other day while on Spurs. Nervous as a cat. Another good thing is he seems to know when it's crunch time and I need to take over to meet production.
Sounds great.

I feel like there's something to be said about an apprentice who is seeking knowledge independent of you. Then when they decide to go to the mentor with questions they are more pointed, and not wasting the mentor's limited time.

Yes the 10r is the flat one that has a remote battery, you need a spare battery in the truck imo as they have a hard time getting through a long day. Never bumping the button is priceless.

SMH10 vs SMH10-11 with universal mic.

Should I be looking t the one with the universal mic? Or neither and go with the SMH10r? So confusing. I just happen to find a good deal on the SMH10. But if it's not the best choice or I will be frustrated do to older tech then I'll hold off.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Haven't been using them long enough to know. The SMH10s lasted all day with leaving them transmitting a lot, when they were new. Batteries lasted a long time.

I don't leave them transmitting when unneeded.

The new ones have an external battery, keeping it much flatter. More wires.

I wonder if hot glue would work to stick wires down, without damaging them.
The duct tape that has doing the job for two weeks, is janky. Maybe a use for all those Treestuff stickers!

I broke a pin on the smh10s, losing one ear speaker. The smh10r's are more hardwired than removable (smh10's were quick-release, that also lead to knocking them off the helmet a few times). I think they will last longer because of this. Just remember to charge the batteries at night.

I am ready to order tonight two Sena headsets. I'll mount one in my Pfanner Protos and one in a logging helmet.

I need to decide between the SMH10R (that I think Sean has..maybe Stephen, too) and the 10S...the dual set is $50 more for the 10S. ($294 vs $344).

Any good reason to spend $50 more for the 10S or does the SMH10r do fine?

Thanks, Dave...your input helps. I just ordered the Dual Pack Sena SMH10r via Amazon. Looking forward to being wow-ed like everyone who ever used comms seems to have been.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary, this is how I have them mounted on our helmets.

Attachments

• IMG_0666 (2).JPG
    IMG_0666 (2).JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 34
That's good to see. Thanks. I watched some video but yours are mounted 90? different from the video I saw. What's holding them to the helmet? And adhesive tape?

The videos I saw use the clamp apparatus that was tightened with Allen screws to hold the base unit to the helmet. I'm sure different helmet Styles will require different methods to adapt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, different helmets will require different mounting locations. The power unit on mine is held on with just the velcro tap that comes with it. The battery comes with a clip-in bracket so it can be changed out if need be. I used shoe goo to glue the bracket in place as it can fill the gaps and stays soft and flexible. I used the velcro tape that comes with the speakers and a small dab of shoe goo to stick them to the foam inside the ear muffs, closest to the ear.

Oh boy oh boy!

I finally pulled the trigger and got two do it yourself units from the treestuff sale.
I love them!
I would have to say that if you work with a partner, significant other, husband, wife...GET some! It will save your relationship.

Two days in a row now, big scarlet oak, foot path on one side, road on the other, chipper in the middle, me 50' up...our communication was SO much better. No more yelling instructions, no more frustration when the chipper is running and I need to get his attention, bit of banter, bit of gossip about dopey pedestrians and drivers...stress levels WAY down.

It took me about an hour to fit out both our helmets, then watch the video on how to operate and pair them, really worth the money, especially since they come with a set of earmuffs that in OZ would probably cost $60 a pair alone!
Only gribble is I wish they came with an operation manual, but at least YouTube came to the rescue.

If you are on the fence, thinking about it as I was...get some!

Perfect review...you just told my story exactly.

Several times we have gone nuts trying to pair the things. I finally made this so I can access it in a hurry if I need to. Making the vid probably finally burned the process into my pea sized brain.:D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QnpFRhoAMiA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back