Craftsmanship / Artistry

pantheraba

More biners!!!
There has been a whole discussion of trying to differentiate the two...whatever the case, we all know good work when we see it.

My brother-in-law, Billy, has been at it again...he delivered TWO training dhas (swords) to me yesterday...same exquisite work as the others he has made. One of these is for a friend that I train with, the other for me. In the first picture the middle dha was the first prototype that was roughly patterned from an 1800's Burmese dha belonging to my Burmese teacher. Billy was able to produce a true copy of the original Dha and that is what you see in his finished product. The "stopper knot" on the end is a Turk's Head knot that he taught himself to tie...a decorative knot that is functional for us. Sharing superb craftsmanship with you:

Attachments

• IMG_7696 RESZD 2.jpg
    IMG_7696 RESZD 2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7697 RESZD 3.jpg
    IMG_7697 RESZD 3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7701 RESZD 7.jpg
    IMG_7701 RESZD 7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7703 RESZD 9.jpg
    IMG_7703 RESZD 9.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7707 RESZD 13.jpg
    IMG_7707 RESZD 13.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7710 RESZD 16.jpg
    IMG_7710 RESZD 16.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7712 RESZD 18.jpg
    IMG_7712 RESZD 18.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7717 RESZD 23.jpg
    IMG_7717 RESZD 23.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7719 RESZD 25.jpg
    IMG_7719 RESZD 25.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 61
Holy cow Gary. How does he make the blades?

Thats just awsome. Really. You look like a true warrior with those blades.

Coolest people in the House. I still think of that picture of your grandkids eating out of bamboo dishes.

Craftsmanship in its own right. Maybe you are a craftsman of life?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hahaha...no idea about all that...but I can pass a good time sometimes.

Blades are aluminum...stock I bought from GA Pump, the machine shop by my office. They are pretty much masters of metal...work wonders in the stuff they rebuild and do.

BUT...they cut the prototype blade for me with a plasma cutter...it was really pretty rough. I did what I could to clean it and make it better but when I showed Billy he got jiggy with it and brought it to life. He cuts the blades from sheet stock with a band saw...and uses hand files, buffing wheels, etc. to finely shape and polish them.

I have no idea if you can access it, but here is where Billy describes how he makes the dhas:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...22837374539.1073741836.100003604897747&type=3

Here is an excerpt from that page: "Two sword blanks. Started with a 1/4' by 6" x 5' piece of aluminum stock. Gary Layton and I meticulously created a paper pattern based on a shorter antique steel sword from Burma. Rough cutout done on a band saw with a non-ferrous metal cutting blade. Shaping done with files and progressively finer grades on a 6" belt sander. Final sanding up to 800 grit (wet) done by hand. Polishing with a super-wham-a-dine buffing wheel on a modified bench grinder with 3 grits of buffing compound. "

That is lovely work, Gary.
I don't quite get the aluminum part?
To make them lighter, as training weapons, maybe?

I injured my right hand about 10 years ago and have had a hard time training with Sai ever since.
I finally got a pair of titanium ones last month.
Weigh practically nothing and only cost a king's ransom.

:lol: I understand the ransom...but if they let you train now that is excellent...great for flexibility of wrist and hand/forearm strength.

10-4 on training dhas. These are for training and performances...we are slated to do a demo for the Burmese ambassador next November near DC. It will be a big showing of what bando in America is doing (and will have some of our people that train bando in other countries coming to perform, too...Canada, Mexico, France, St. Martin, Pakistan and one other I can't remember).

We want to find a good smith that can craft some functional dhas for cutting. We had some good training/cutting clinics a few years ago and used swords that were similar to the Burmese dhas but not really the same.

With different individuals involved, some objects are a combination of artistry and craftsmanship. Japanese sword makers took the skill to a very high level, it is said that the blending of different steels and the pattern that was created is a high order of art. Generally the polishing and sharpening of the blades was done by someone else that was highly skilled in that aspect. A few of those sword polishers are still around, working the steel over different grades of water stones on up to the finest of polishing compounds. The natural stones they used are highly desirable by anyone regularly using blades and sharpening. The stones aren't being mined any longer for the most part, you'll have to pay a king's ransom for the best ones.

The table and chairs I just completed and delivered last week, made from local Chestnut and another somewhat similar looking wood here called Sen. For a recently married young couple that moved into a new home in Tokyo. I'm friends with the parents of the young woman, have known her since she was a child. A very sweet and polite young lady. The dining set was her parents wedding gift to the couple. I haven't run into too many of those types of parents. I saw the location before building the stuff, thought of the room and the people that would be using the furniture when considering what to design The arm of the chair is really quite difficult with that curve on top leading down to the end and how all the change of angles have to blend, I consider it advanced woodworking if i say so myself 8). Art or craft I really don't know, the thought never occurs. With or without the romance of the labels or which way you call it, more than anything else it's a hell of a lot of work and a relief to get finished.

I guess if I were to try and basically define what is workmanship, I'd say it's having control with a material.

Attachments

• nctjxfymtsh3fqbqa73a.jpg
    nctjxfymtsh3fqbqa73a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Japanese-katana-sword-Pattern-steel-short-sword-Burned-casing-edge-samurai-sword-katana-handmade.jpg
    Japanese-katana-sword-Pattern-steel-short-sword-Burned-casing-edge-samurai-sword-katana-handmade.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 28
  • kozue.jpg
    kozue.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 27
  • kozue1.jpg
    kozue1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks, jay, for sharing all of that. That is what I hoped for this thread...a place to share elements, items and discussions of skill.

Interesting story behind the crafting of your work.

I wish I could think of a higher level to call you. God Master? Master God?

Who are the people you (woodworking wise) look up to?

If I won the lottery and needed a skilled craftsman, I'd have you on retainer for sure.

Price would not be (cuz I won the lottery) an option!

:D

"Craftsman" is sufficient, thank you. :) It would be cool to have a patron in Louisiana, Butch, someone that I worked for most of the time to build stuff over long term. I did have a young couple like that once in the states, over sixty pieces made for home and office. Initially they had their own ideas about designs, but I slowly moved them over to my way of thinking, and they would just leave it up to me for the most part. They became quite good friends, and I also enjoyed their splendored hospitality. If I had stuck around in the states, I might have gotten around to outfitting their jet. ;)

People that I look up to.... There are a few woodworkers that received the "Living Treasure" status here when they were still at it, now deceased. Craftsman that stuck to their standards through thick and thin. I look at some of the things that they made and think, "How de do dat?" That distinction isn't given lightly, and usually when receiving it, it's pretty late in life for the artisan. Besides being honoured in society, the government gives them a financial stipend each year to help support their life, not a whole lot to get fat on, but paid out with the thought that only making such nice things for so long, they have probably suffered enough. :lol:

Back