Fishing 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was quite an adventure Cory. We took a small outboard skiff out of Iquitos, Peru down the Amazon and up the Puerto Almendra for many miles. The abundance of piranha in the river was incredible, I would guess the most important protein source in the area. I got to visit a secluded tribe back in the jungle that still hunted with blowguns and ate sloths and monkeys. Some of the men wore jaguar skin loin cloths. They showed us how they made the poison for their darts from a particular species of frog and demonstrated their great accuracy on a target set up on the wall of a hut. The most impressive thing for me was hearing the Chief give his testimony. Nearly all the men in the tribe had been alcoholics, drinking a wine of fermented jungle fruits. They were abusive to wives and children and wife beating, along with some other pretty vile things were the norm. A Christian missionary friend of mine began to make visits into the area, learned the dialect, befriended the Chief and told him of the love of God and the saving and transforming power of Jesus Christ. The Chief gave his life to the Lord and was miraculously delivered from alcoholism and abuse. Soon after, nearly every man in the tribe saw and heard the great change and followed suit. They were a happy, thankful people that worked and shared in what the river and jungle provided. We went to minister to them, but I think they made a bigger impression on us and showered us with all kinds of gifts, most of which sadly didn't make it through customs. Airport officials said we were lucky they didn't lock us up for the arrows fletched with exotic bird feathers and quivers of jaguar hide.

I think I could have been. I was admiring the fly fishing guide, but if the shoe fits....
:lol:
I really do have it made Jay. Blessed beyond measure is what I call it.

What a great video Scott. That little guy was all smiles and I loved how Dad let him do it on his own. Helping kids catch their first fish is always so cool. Sometimes the bigger kids are not as happy with a real big fish. A teenager from Illinois that I thought was a pretty tough kid was ready to throw the rod overboard after about thirty minutes with a 100 pound tarpon. His Dad and I convinced him to hang in there and he eventually he brought the fish boatside for pictures and a souvenir scale, but not without a lot of moaning and complaining. It's a treasured memory for him now, but when that rod was digging into his gut and his arms were burning, not so much.

Great stories. :thumbup:

We still have my sons 1st fish pic hanging on the fridge.

Small pond that was dug for cattle watering hole on my land.

He has been hooked ever since. He is also the one with the white bass pic last page here.

fish1stpond 002.jpg

Ray, did you see any crazy large or otherwise special trees on that Amazon trip?

It was quite an adventure Cory. We took a small outboard skiff out of Iquitos, Peru down the Amazon and up the Puerto Almendra for many miles. The abundance of piranha in the river was incredible, I would guess the most important protein source in the area. I got to visit a secluded tribe back in the jungle that still hunted with blowguns and ate sloths and monkeys. Some of the men wore jaguar skin loin cloths. They showed us how they made the poison for their darts from a particular species of frog and demonstrated their great accuracy on a target set up on the wall of a hut. The most impressive thing for me was hearing the Chief give his testimony. Nearly all the men in the tribe had been alcoholics, drinking a wine of fermented jungle fruits. They were abusive to wives and children and wife beating, along with some other pretty vile things were the norm. A Christian missionary friend of mine began to make visits into the area, learned the dialect, befriended the Chief and told him of the love of God and the saving and transforming power of Jesus Christ. The Chief gave his life to the Lord and was miraculously delivered from alcoholism and abuse. Soon after, nearly every man in the tribe saw and heard the great change and followed suit. They were a happy, thankful people that worked and shared in what the river and jungle provided. We went to minister to them, but I think they made a bigger impression on us and showered us with all kinds of gifts, most of which sadly didn't make it through customs. Airport officials said we were lucky they didn't lock us up for the arrows fletched with exotic bird feathers and quivers of jaguar hide.

Just total awesome story Ray!!!! :thumbup:

Ray, did you see any crazy large or otherwise special trees on that Amazon trip?
Sorry Cory, I tried to reply but I guess it didn't take. They all seemed amazing to me, the variety is beyond belief but I could identify very few. I was kind of mad at myself for not doing a little research beforehand. One thing I did find interesting was that Iquitos was built during the rubber boom because of the great numbers of rubber trees in the rainforest there. Rubber barons brought in workers, built infrastructure, opulent houses and even an airstrip. When the business environment changed, the money moved on but most of the workers were pretty well stranded as the city has no roads in or out, only the Amazon and the airstrip. Because of that, most people there are very poor and it seemed to me that the natives in the jungle had a much better life. Another thing that sticks in my mind was all the old abandoned planes sitting beside the runway, several of which had obviously crashed and just been pushed off the pavement. Not very encouraging as you're taxiing for takeoff.

Went out this morning and filled up on blue gill plus a few more rock bass and one nice (17")sageye(sp?). The boy from yesterday took the win again because he brought in the sageye. Fried them up this afternoon as the pork tenderloins were slowly cooking for dinner. Most of the afternoon was spent with us men tending fire and drinking beer. All of us very grateful for such understanding women.

I had to look up a Saugeye Rich, I had never heard of one. Sounds like you guys are wearing 'em out. What are you using for bait?

Never used a maggot either. Learning something from you guys. We have a technique here to gather the local species of earthworm that we call gruntin'. You drive a hardwood stake in the ground and run a piece of iron (a leaf spring works great) or a brick across the stake to make it vibrate or grunt. The vibrations bring the worms up and out of the ground. There's even a worm gruntin' festival in the neighboring town of Sopchoppy with of course a worm gruntin' contest. When my kids were small I believe it was more fun gruntin' than fishing, with them watching the worms come up, grabbing 'em and throwing them in a can.

Most of the afternoon was spent with us men tending fire and drinking beer. All of us very grateful for such understanding women.

Understanding indeed. Those are not activities that can be rushed or taken lightly. :drink:

Ray, grunting is cool! I did that as a kid, never heard it called that. We would cut notches in the hardwood stick and rub another stick over the notches to make the ruckus.

And I've now learned a new way to collect worms. We would go out in the dark with dim flashlights after a rain and catch them.

If I had to guess, I bet I learned about it in Outdoor Live magazine or something like that. That magazine was big for me back in the day.

Me too man, I couldn't wait to find that baby rolled up in the mailbox! Writers like Jim Zumbo, Carmichael, Jack O'connor, Peter Hathaway Capstick. I would read Capstick's African hunting stories over and over. I devoured that magazine!

For sure. I had a huge multi year collection in my closet, lol.

I always liked the "This happened to me.." feature.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9HguyXRHr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back