Firewood

Woodworkingboy,

I can't believe I did this, but I forgot to list one of the biggest advantages to having an outdoor wood boiler......and that's the fact that the heat exchanger can be installed inside a shop without any worry about your insurance cancelling you.

Wood burners are prohibited in shops and garages. No insurance company will cover your building, or belongings. This is due to the fact that gasoline and other flammables are present. You'll never have a problem with this when installing a remotely located outdoor boiler and then plumbing the water underground into your shop.

Sorry about that.

Joel

We're probably about thirty years behind other industrialised societies when it comes to safety standards. After I had the fire and became friendly with the fire department, I asked one of them, "Don't you guys ever come around and inspect places?" He looked at me kind of funny, said "Nah"...

Treebilly,

It's very hard to beat a heated floor in a shop. However, this would require a concrete slab throughout the shop. Additionally, you'll need a good two to three inches of foam insulation under the concrete slab. Your heating pipes will be located between the two layers.

There are several problems with this......the main one being that you need to be very careful when mounting anything to the floor with concrete anchors. Planning your shop layout ahead of time is extremely important. For example, if you think for even one minute that you might like to install a floor drain someday.....plan for it now. The same goes for any under-floor wiring to your machine tool pedestals. This is stuff that can't be changed later.

When I helped design my uncles shop, we put 3" pvc pipe in the floor as runs for compressed air, wiring, outdoor water outlets, etc. Codes require that these supply lines and power cables cannot be run together in the same conduit....or pipe. It takes a lot of planning.......and you'll still regret not doing something that you talked about during the planning process.

Joel

Koreans heat their houses and homes with hot water under the floors, have done so for a long time It's a cold country. I've never been there but a friend tells me that they have it down.

6dce1a2e304601de39cdcadcea10a0c6.jpg

Crew had to cut some Doug-fir into rounds to pack it out so I couldn't really send it to the dump already cut...

When you add anti freeze to your boiler you cut down the heat exchange efficiency by a good per centage. Got to keep it heated all the time or live with the lower efficiency. Heated floors sure are nice. If you have plenty of wood for free efficiency is not much of a deal breaker.

Yes pre planning the floor layout is important. I've got more thought into my shop than I have the house addition. Another thing to toss a wrench in my plans is the fact that all new OWB in Ohio have to EPA versions. I've been told that those are a bit more finicky about moisture content and increased the cost by 50%.

Geez, hella thread.

Now I'm getting a lil worried about my chimney..:/:

205ceaac861cd4fade799d9b8403bb6b.jpg
a129a0a1bfd629e3a5daeb7b5e800112.jpg

I'm done with tarping wood piles! If I can find a couple more racks like these I'll be set forever

20160904_174536.jpg
I'll have to trim this edge to deoakie it.
20160904_174609.jpg
And build the rid next spring on this other one. Then my conveyor and dump right in between 8)
Oh and more gray spray paint to make the wife happy, she doesn't like the yellow!

Dont make it too nice.

A little roughness keeps the yuppies away.

Cool setup though. How much wood do you burn a winter?
A bunch.... last winter my piles were scattered around, this winter I should be able to calculate better at this new house. I have about 7 cord put up I think at this point. I'll have a better system in place come spring now that I've got 95 percent of the in laws stuff out of here.
It won't be too nice, I just glued things onto the existing structure, it'll last but it'll be out back behind the hedge!

Back