Firewood

I'm getting snookered by the odd piece of locust where it burns great as if dry for about the outer 1/3 of it's volume then slows to a crawl barely burning and throwing much less heat. Seems to need more air to burn the coals too. But long lasting. Some of the pieces doing this were split down to 2" or 3" thick just to combat said problem. Wood appears and feels weight wise dry.

Mix it with some quicker burning stuff, it'll help get stuff going. Locust is kinda like coal, it takes a bit to get going and needs air, but can put out full heat for a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
45 today, 40 tomorrow, dad's damn near out of wood. Time to kick ass.
14 logs blocked up and 2 Ranger loads split. There will be 4 of us splitting tomorrow, we'll get dad stocked up.

Ed

Attachments

• 20220220_143342.jpg
    20220220_143342.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220220_153410.jpg
    20220220_153410.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220220_131805.jpg
    20220220_131805.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Technically I'm ahead on Wood (probably nothing else though) , just finished burning the two year old stuff and relying one the one year old cut split to finish the heating season. Have everything forwarded and blocked for next season ... plus have tree length pile forwarded here for the year after that.

I finished the hardwoods in my burn piles and was starting to cut up a blue spruce i did last year when my neighbor said i could cut whatever on his. He has several downed locusts that have been there for years, so I'm gonna make it this winter :lol: 73 out today, definitely not normal

I’ve got 2/3 of a cord left from this years supply. With the temps we’re having lately I’ll be fine. I’ve got six cord ready to go for next year. Should have that number up to 12 by the end of the month if I can get motivated again.

I'm burning spruce today. It was warm enough to open the doors, but I wanted the warmth of a fire today. Supposed to get pretty warm tomorrow. I'm pretty much out of firewood this year. I'm burning junky stuff now. I have a bunch of ash in case of real need, but I don't think it'll be used this season.

I do have some standing dead ash I'm planning on grabbing. My partner at work has a bunch of dead ones down his hill, which would be a wonderful place to try out my trailer as a yarder. That way i got another pro rigger to help me run it the first time, and we'll both be helping each other out since he needs it too. Ash burns beautifully in my insert but more importantly the wife loves it. Also cool that the seasoning is already done, so next year is good to go right off the bat.

I'm burning spruce today. It was warm enough to open the doors, but I wanted the warmth of a fire today. Supposed to get pretty warm tomorrow. I'm pretty much out of firewood this year. I'm burning junky stuff now. I have a bunch of ash in case of real need, but I don't think it'll be used this season.
What!!! An easterner burning spruce!!! Don’t you know you’ll burn your house down!!!😆
I don’t even try to educate people anymore. Everyone around me believes “pine” causes chimney fires.

The ash will be ready, Kyle, right of the bat?

My supply will last for my house, and GF's stove and rental apt stove.

I need somebody to supply me a paid wood hauling job.

All the cedar and nice fir logs are piling up, but are for milling.

I have been cutting standing ash and throwing it right in the stove. Burns great and no creosote build up. Going to miss them when there gone. Thanks China and global economy.

Took me a while to think this one through.
Still not sure I got it.

So China forced the US somehow to import Emerald ash borer.

Wow!

Ash does good as survival wood as you call it. It does even better after split and seasoned for a bit.
I split and stacked another tote full this morning while watching the power company fix the lines. They seemed more interested in what I was doing than I was of them.

You guys are getting me more interested in salvaging that ash stem on my job. I might go up with the brushcutter, clear out around it so I can get a good look, and maybe slice it up as I get some free time.

Took me a while to think this one through.
Still not sure I got it.

So China forced the US somehow to import Emerald ash borer.

Wow!

I was thanking China for sending us the bug on pallets. Global trade is creating never ending problems, enviromental, economic, political. Being self sufficient would be a good thing. Too much money to be made though.

Yeah, standing dead ash is more than dry enough to just use, further It'll still be aged all spring summer and fall, but this way i know i have good seasoned wood. It seems to me that the ash tree dies from dehydration, and the slow death of it seems to really dry it out even more as all water is sucked from the tree. The bark will even shed on the standing tree. There's also a big dead oak there i guess, and i have some other standing dead removals i have lined up so that should be more than enough wood for the coming year. After that the wood will have enough time to dry normally, but since i just got the stove i gotta build up a supply first.

This is what I'm cutting up now, and it's drier than the locust i was burning earlier this year. Good news is we have saved roughly 1k already by adding the insert, so it'll be paid off in 2 years. Not bad imo, and it's been the most comfortable winter since the living room is 70 to 80 degrees all the time

20220306_111353.jpg

Back