Home made things for tree work

More like running insult than joke. Hopefully they snap out of their stupid phase.

Hopefully you become smarter and realize that if you provide a career type job, good people will fill the spaces.

Sorry, maybe a bit too real???

I like the rake to pole pruner idea. I have used up a bunch of black tape doing a temp attachment in the past. And I do have a 10 foot length of lightweight pipe with two ninety degree elbows on the other end to extend my blower reach and still blown down the roof.

By the way, previous posts on chainsaw lanyards.....I extend the length of mine by girth hitching in a normal 10 inch saw loop with steel ring.

More like running insult than joke. Hopefully they snap out of their stupid phase.

We’re just taking the piss out of each other most of the day.

I’m usually lampooned for poor driving, inattention to detail, forgetfulness, general clusterfuckery.

The older guy for always needing a piss, stopping to wank on a chip run, being closer to death than the others.

The younger guy is always ill with something (caught from his child) so he always has AIDS, or bummer’s flu as we call it colloquially.

Hopefully you become smarter and realize that if you provide a career type job, good people will fill the spaces.

Sorry, maybe a bit too real???

I am doing my best to provide career type employment for them. The worker pool is pretty limited here and hard work scares most kids these days and by kids I mean 20-21yo. One is making enough he bought his first truck and was practically in tears thanking me for helping make it happen. But how long should I hold their hand on tying a bowline? A week? A month? They have been here six months and it still takes them three four tires to get it right. and that is the reason for the on going "peg" comment.

That's stupid, lazy.

Tell him he's not a shmuck, at works starts Monday when he has proficiently learn a cub scout knot.

Dahlia's first paying job, soon, will be the Basic Knots 101 instructor.

Idk if her first class will involve magic, tying a clove hitch as she passes the rope behind her back. But by next March, when she's 8...

I thought you were 'all subs'

I thought you were 'all subs'

Not so much anymore there are two guys on payroll brush draggers mostly with minimal cutting duties.
The guys that have equipment and advanced ability are subs and it works well.

I have tried incentives: raises, steak dinners it just doesn't seem to work for those two. One time after work we had a competition for an hour and they could tie a RB in 8 seconds. I thought they had it down, they tied it like forty times but the next day, fizzle.

I know a great climber who is dyslectic, he gets confused sometimes and can't tie a bowline. He has to stop and take a moment to breath, center himself and then is good to go.

I frequently tell my guys we have all the time we need to stop and take a breathe, a break, whatever.

Learning disabilities/ differences are substantial amongst laborers, IME.

40 times is one day didn't work. Try the first minute of every shift is tying knots. First 2 minutes, maybe.

Might help them transition to work, too. Leave the outside world behind, with this ritual. Helmets and PPE on, tie knots in a simulated work setting (like around a real tree or limb, not some substitute).

My world, as a supervisor, gets a lot more clear, when I find out about an employee having ADD, dyslexia, or pulling themselves back up after a bad spot in life with binge-drinking/ drugging as part of their past (especially at a young age). Their brains are just plain different. It's more than letters getting transposed.

My nephew is looking at a hard path in life. He's adopted, cared for since 6 weeks, with lasting affects from cocaine, alcohol, etc, in utero.

FAS coping mechanisms include pretending to understand cause-effect, which is not good in people with FAS.
"So does that make sense?"
Easy answer "Ya, that makes sense" regardless of the truth of it.

I've only had two bosses who told me to 'take my time and do it right.' All the others wanted PRODUCTION.

Fug that.

Injuries, accidents, and near-miss stress is way too costly.

Again I'll mention, I'm in the mindset of being in an ultramarathon until the end of my career, and life.

I know a great climber who is dyslectic, he gets confused sometimes and can't tie a bowline. He has to stop and take a moment to breath, center himself and then is good to go.
I am dyslexic. But I can tie a bowline behind my back.
I frequently tell my guys we have all the time we need to stop and take a breathe, a break, whatever.

Learning disabilities/ differences are substantial amongst laborers, IME.

40 times is one day didn't work. Try the first minute of every shift is tying knots. First 2 minutes, maybe.

Might help them transition to work, too. Leave the outside world behind, with this ritual. Helmets and PPE on, tie knots in a simulated work setting (like around a real tree or limb, not some substitute).

My world, as a supervisor, gets a lot more clear, when I find out about an employee having ADD, dyslexia, or pulling themselves back up after a bad spot in life with binge-drinking/ drugging as part of their past (especially at a young age). Their brains are just plain different. It's more than letters getting transposed.

My nephew is looking at a hard path in life. He's adopted, cared for since 6 weeks, with lasting affects from cocaine, alcohol, etc, in utero.

FAS coping mechanisms include pretending to understand cause-effect, which is not good in people with FAS.
"So does that make sense?"
Easy answer "Ya, that makes sense" regardless of the truth of it.
I'll try the morning routine maybe that will help. Mental warm up so to speak.

It's a common theme I am afraid to say. Like Rob and a hard hat. Or warming up the mini when's it's been freezing all night.
Or Mike and knots. Some days you get a bowline , sometyimes a WTF knot.

Daisy chain hitch has the appearance of "lotsa knots," but it comes undone easily and is an easy learn for the knot-challenged.

Nobody wears velcro shoes. I think that its simply a matter of if they feel like learning. If they were about to be fired over it, they would learn RIGHT NOW!!!!!

If you tell them not to come into work until they are done being Day 10 rookies. 180 days in...

If they are wearing velcro or slip-on, be worried, very very worried.

A double-slipped square knot is way harder than a bowline...my daughter, who is 6 can tie both a shoe-lace knot (double-slipped square knot) and a robe-belt knot (double-slipped square knot). She is about to progress to a clove-hitch. By the time she's 8, she will tie a clove behind her back, guaranteed (she likes magic, and trying to do things behind her back).

Use Mick's approach, and call they DTR until they can not be DTR (day 10 rookie). From then on call them groundies, until they want to be a Groundman or Arborist's Assistant. Ask they if they want to be a stick-monkey, not a Groundman. Maybe that all they want.

If someone kept teasing me about being a waste of space, because I was being a waste of space, I'd prove them wrong in a heartbeat...but then again, I'm not a groundie for a reason.

Giving each other a hard time, like the guy stopping for the wank while tipping...

This might go beyond the 'give each other a hard time'.

For me, if I'm doing second grade math in 10th grade, by analogy, I would take a brick over the head of subtlety from my boss, rather than get fired for incompetence.

Back