Paleo

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Anyone here into the Paleo diet?

I suspect most of us are too busy working hard to worry about getting too selective about our diet, but I keep reading here and there about the health value of low carb diets. Helps with energy and supposed to be anti inflammatory. I eat PB or cheese sandwiches for lunch, cereal for breakfast, pasta for dinner, fairly often. Too many carbs by some accounts. Anybody have experience with cutting back on carbs?

I am not exclusively Paleo but i tend to eat very few carbs these days. I hardly ever eat bread or potatoes as it makes me a bit bloated.

Lots of fish and meat, eggs and nuts. Usually lunch consists of Smoked mackerel with salad and a couple of boiled eggs. Lots of chilli sauce and a bag of nuts. I substitute potatoes and have sweet potatoes instead. I know they are still carbs but they just sit better on my guts. I love Kale so eat a fair bit of that.

As I said not exclusively, I still occasionally eat pasta or pizza. But no where near as much as I used to.

The key is basically a healthy balanced diet and hydrate.

Pretty much the same as Rich. Went properly into it but dropped off it a bit recently. Cut out pretty much all sugars unless they're natural ones and it's amazing how much better you feel

Do I need to post up a pic of the USDA food pyramid for all of you missguided euros... you're supposed to eat TONS of carbs. :lol:

Seriously, it cracks me up to think about how with all of our vaunted scientific knowledge, we as a species can't even seem to figure out what the best foods for our health is. One decade it's this, the next it's that, then it goes back to this again.

Totally agree Jed, hence my last statement.

As Benn and Tommy said, cut out all sugars if possible and eat lots of greens and protein. Seems to do the trick for me.

It isn't for any reasons like loosing weight, more of how I was feeling. My fat percentage is pretty low, around 10 - 12 percent, although I haven't been checked recently.

I used to have toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch. I would sort out dinner for the kids but my missus would be getting back later. I would usually end up having a couple of slices of toast to tide me over.

The result, usually after about half an hours climbing I would need the biggest offload you could imagine. Not good asking private customers to use their khazi or rushing to leave the job site to find a toilet.

It has worked for me but that isn't to say it is for everyone. I just wish I could hold of more Elk...

One of my favourite meats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find that when I'm working exceptionally hard and long, it doesn't matter much what I eat, the digestion ramps up to near perfect, in part probably cuz I'm not eating large quantities then.

But the antiinflammatory aspects of low carb would be huge for me, if that is legit.

Thx for the link, Mick

.....I eat PB or cheese sandwiches for lunch, cereal for breakfast, pasta for dinner, fairly often. Too many carbs by some accounts....

Not good, Cory. But not just because of carbohydrate balance but because those meals were also industrially produced. Taken as a whole, with all the wealth and knowledge we have, the average modern diet is atrocious. We are slaves to easy and so become victims by consent.

Reading food labels is not going to give you the whole picture on just how badly some of what is sitting on our grocery store shelves has been altered. Our bodies are a complex and adaptive system able to survive on many different substances. Give it something bad as a food source and it will adapt and even crave it. Conversely, feed it a healthy diet and over a length of time it will crave that. So probably the best part of a Paleo-type diet is its focus on food that for the most part is recognizable as such; I.e.., non-packaged or processed but, instead, whole foods. Just doing that will help, a lot.

Rich, I also eat a lot of nuts and found that they taste better and seem to set better if I soak them overnight. There is controversy on the science behind this but I tend towards the belief that excess Phytate is not a good thing.

http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts/

I think that the Paleo Diet is a lot like the Zone diet, though I might be mistaken.

Shopping the edge of the grocery story, avoiding the middle.

Eating fresh foods, low in simple carbs. The Zone Diet still gets 40% of calories from carbs. Lean protein (30% of calories: meat, fish, eggs, legumes), healthy fats (30 % of calories: fish, avocados, good cooking oils), healthy carbs (vegetables, with a little fruit for treats), all within balance per meal. Low alcohol consumption, and if drunk, it should be backed with protein and fat (slice of meat with a drink).

http://blog.momentumclimbing.com/?p=8 I met Merrill, who told me about the Zone diet, at a climbing area in WY. He had been on the Zone for two years.
Saw him again a couple years later at REI, working the climbing department. He said he was still on the Zone. He is a world class athlete. He said that he got leaner, stronger, more concentration, no blood sugar crashes, and hadn't taken ibuprofen (Vitamin I, among a lot of climbers) in a couple years, yet was statically moving from two-finger pocket to two-finger pocket on a 45* overhanging wall, like he was on the ground.

He was around 45 at that time, probably 15 years ago.

I guess he is described as the Chris Sharma of his time (Chris Sharma puts up the hardest routes in the world, currently, more or less).

The Zone diet says to regard food as the most powerful drug that you put into your body, and you do it throughout the day, everyday.

No. I don't eat meat, fish eggs, if cut the carbs out too, there would not be much left to munch on.

I sometimes worry about diabetes. I have never seen my blood sugar over 90. Last time I checked a while after eating it was 80.

Sometimes I get shaky and feel weird, so I have some chocolate milk. Fixes me right up, like right now.

It feels like non-diabetic hypoglycemia. But I cant confirm it.

Words of Wisdom!

Shop the edge of the grocery story, avoid the middle.

+100

Unless you need tp for your bunghole!

latest

Not that I know. I had a blood sugar test when I was a kid, hours and hours of drinking sugar water and finger pokes. My blood sugar never got over 85.

Tested it the other day and it was 80, hour and a half after a carb heavy dinner. I just seem to run a low blood sugar all the time.

I have never tested it when I wake up in the morning, might be interesting to see what my fasting blood sugar might be.

Thats not diabetes is it? Low blood sugar all the time?

Hey man im no doc! My Grandad was diagnosed diabetic at around age 75. He cut out sugar, drank a little whisky every night, and lived to 104. Sugar is real bad! I check mine most mornings and its good. This way of eating also gets my blood pressure back to normal.

Back