Best throw bag

Don't forget the old copper penny throw bags my friend Wes Burns developed years ago. I still know a lot of people that stitch their own bags. Many starting with simple nylon sling material and using steel or lead shot, or pennies. Pretty easy to make. And cheap.

I have...but what I mean is, firing a RopeKnight from an APTA would be like firing a .22-caliber projectile from a .50-caliber bore. With wadding, yes, it will "fire" the projectile, but, without contact with the barrel's surface, the projectile will have no spin and will simply "tumble" along to its destiny. The arrow in your example flexes due to all the force being exerted on its rear end, whilst it tries to absorb it over its entire lengths. It straightens itself back out to fly straight. I'd say it's comparing apples to oranges.

RopeKnight is self righting because it's nose heavy and keep in mind the throw line acts to true

Modified RK would be safer in the APTA.
Mushy bags in a chamber of high energy is much more dangerous. Elemental flaw in the design of the APTA is the malleable bag = inconsistent unreliable back pressure. Somethings going to give?

I got one on my fishing reel line, for advancing rope while climbing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used the APTA for several shots this past week, including setting my safety lines for the poplar and sweet gum leaning over that mobile home. After trying all my "used" bags, I dug out a Petzl Jet, the 10.5 ounce model, and found it fit perfectly. I could set the bag in the barrel, and tamp the APTA on the ground, seating the bag all the way to the Butterfly in about three tamps. At 150# of pressure, I was hitting 90' every time. My biggest issue with the Jet is the tiny D-ring. A 1/2" line will fit through it, but it's too small to remotely set a friction saver, as the bag goes halfway through the ring of the saver.

Is the 5oz bag really practical? What do you use that one for?

Levi, I use the 5oz for weighting the "other" end of the throwline in the cube, advancing lines in the tree, dropping a throwline to someone on the ground if I need something passed up (if I was higher than the tail of the rope would reach). Recently I've been using it in my tests with fishing line from Tuf-Line. I have six different thicknesses of their hollow braid to test, and they have a screaming yellow that is excellent to see in the tree. The 5oz bag will easily drop from a 100' branch.

Sean, yes, a reducer bushing, and I'm using non-APTA barrels. It seems that the fit of the bag to the barrel makes a difference. I have two 12oz Harrison Rockets that are ever so slightly different. One will drop in with a few taps, the other I have to pack in with a stick. That one shoots higher.

IMG_5301.jpg

Made my own for the last few years. Call me cheap but it's something to do sitting around at night. Used the black chafe sleeve for a couple of years but after several smashes on the concrete they tend to spring a leak. Most of these are industrial safety lanyard tubing and they hold up very well. They may not be purty....
P2280593.jpg

I used the APTA for several shots this past week, including setting my safety lines for the poplar and sweet gum leaning over that mobile home. After trying all my "used" bags, I dug out a Petzl Jet, the 10.5 ounce model, and found it fit perfectly. I could set the bag in the barrel, and tamp the APTA on the ground, seating the bag all the way to the Butterfly in about three tamps. At 150# of pressure, I was hitting 90' every time. My biggest issue with the Jet is the tiny D-ring. A 1/2" line will fit through it, but it's too small to remotely set a friction saver, as the bag goes halfway through the ring of the saver.

You might check for a leak. General consensus I've been hearing is about a foot/per pound. The first APTA I got was slowly loosing air and was pretty poopy if you waited too long. Finally dunked it in a bucket of water and saw tiny air bubbles coming from the cut threads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You might check for a leak. General consensus I've been hearing is about a foot/per pound. The first APTA I got was slowly loosing air and was pretty poopy if you waited too long. Finally dunked it in a bucket of water and saw tiny air bubbles coming from the cut threads.

I just run it up to 150# with my Slime compressor. I fired three times yesterday at 90# with nearly the same result. I just throw it if it's 50' or under. The APTA comes out for those high shots. I'll try some "experimental" shots this week at varying heights.

I just run it up to 150# with my Slime compressor. I fired three times yesterday at 90# with nearly the same result. I just throw it if it's 50' or under. The APTA comes out for those high shots. I'll try some "experimental" shots this week at varying heights.

I see. Not that you need 150# to get 90'. Same here, just throw up to 50'. Unless it's a straight up shot.

Back