Best throw bag

treesmith

Banned
I know it's been hashed a thousand times, (if not more), but what's CURRENTLY our favorite throw bag, both for throwing and APTA use? I have used my APTA three times now, with great success each time, just don't want to be dependent on it. I pack my "unbreakable" bag (10-oz) from Wesspur in and it works fine. I can't get any of my others to seal well enough in the barrel. My preferred throwing bar is the plain ones from Wesspur, but you'd think the manufacturer was having to buy the material by the square millimeter. I have gone through several in the last few years, with a couple bursting on the second or third throw. They tend to sew them 1/16" from the edge of the material in the seams. Gimme a break! What's it going to hurt to sew 1/4" back from the edge?

Anywho...sound off...what's your current favorite?

Last one I bought was imported w Lead shot. Forgot the name , more expensive but a better bag w small D ring and tough stitching. Made by a climber and his wife , New Zealand maybe.

They are very nice, a little spendy but hey, you get what you pay for! I believe they are even hand stitched? Very cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, but often it's not very convenient to charge the APTA just to make a 50' shot. As to D vs. round ring, I have found the Ds to be more annoying, what with turning in the bag eye, and resulting in the cord being "off center" to the bag. I prefer round eye based on my experience.

It would require some sort of wadding to seal off the barrel, as well as yield horrid results as the projectile would simply flop around while flying through the air.

I haven't tried it, Paul. The weight wouldn't be a problem if it fit nice. I can't remember anytime that the 12oz bag didn't make it all the way back down but I don't have your trees.

Treesmith have you ever seen a slow motion shot from the bow of a championship archer? Be careful of saying this equals that without proving it out.

I have...but what I mean is, firing a RopeKnight from an APTA would be like firing a .22-caliber projectile from a .50-caliber bore. With wadding, yes, it will "fire" the projectile, but, without contact with the barrel's surface, the projectile will have no spin and will simply "tumble" along to its destiny. The arrow in your example flexes due to all the force being exerted on its rear end, whilst it tries to absorb it over its entire lengths. It straightens itself back out to fly straight. I'd say it's comparing apples to oranges.

I like Harrison's for design and build quality. Weight dependent on line type and height being achieved.

Stein bear a passing resemblance to the Harrison's, but aren't quite as good IMO.

Ok Treesmith I wasn't tracking with your whole line of thought. If a person were looking for a solution to this they might try a 'sabot' then. Smooth bore shotguns will do 5 inch groups at 300 feet with saboted slugs.

I agree with the general consensus that, 'no one should try this at home.'

I am an admirer of the Harrison Rocket, myself...to echo several other posters. I only have one, and it's a lighter weight model, 10 oz. iirc, and is paired with my in tree flyreel throwline setup, so it's never had much in the way of hard or heavy use.

My longest lived bags have been old school Weavers. Fit the BigShot pouch well, too.

Back