Rope

We use the parbuckle when loading logs onto the sawmill.

One end of the rope is anchored to a tree. Coming back from the tree, the rope passes over the mill and down the ramp, then under the log to be loaded onto the sawmill. The rope then makes a turn over the top of the log and back toward the anchor tree. When pulling on the working end, the log rolls up the ramp and over the standing end of the rope until it reaches the top of the ramp and rolls onto the mill. The rope is then removed from the anchor tree and pulled free. Some of the logs are very large, requiring some mechanical advantage to pull the rope. We use a Maasdam rope puller for the larger logs.

This is a great topic and I've truly enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing more.

Joel

We've used parbuckles for controlled lowering/rolling large logs down slopes to roads to keep them from just cutting loose and finding things in or across aforementioned roads. Works a treat. Used portys for the control friction. But stumps work well in a pinch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reversing parbuckle for unloading barrels from ships was also used; can also lower over the side to float some items off of rope(s).
You don't really need the ramps(ramps add to advantage and walk-ability), especially if spread support of lines on log,
can just walk pine log up side of trailer and over top, be prepared to stop log from rolling off opposite side.
The bight of the pull (1st color drawing shown/ done in msPaint in 90's )can go to hooks or ball on truck, but is best to be self adjusting/ let slide thru hooks etc. so different weight, position of log, 1 end thicker etc. managed by system, not fixed pull on each leg/accommodates situation at that second.
Just like in climbing, hardest part coming up over the side/ lip for log too, sharply bending/leverage lines at this eclipse can help greatly.
Leave rope on trailer, laced under logs; use same system to pull logs off opposite side of trailer, ramps and ability to roll away from trailer advised. But then used another line for next tier etc. when loading. Can also anchor ropes on either side correctly to use same lines to tie down for transport.
Parbuckle effect is also used on boats with fishing net and docks etc. for hoisting corpses up out of the water; no ramp.
Since, Pearl Harbour, a parbuckle roll has been used in righting ships with some success; if the hulls can resist the cables cutting thru.

Sweating /Swigging a line is as a lost tool in our kit; it's right there;
and has saved men's lives at sea.
sweatingToss-Adkins.JPG

Natively/without other forces, rope only resists on it's inline axis;
so you can't use it as a crowbar etc.
But, with 1 caveat. If you pre-tighten the line,
the line then does resist on it's cross-axis.
So you can then leverage it highly (for a short distance).
Commonly, a hitch bends it's own Standing/Loaded Part,
to increase the line tension which can be a problem;
as it 'consumes' more of the line capacity, than load requires.
So we say knot 'weakens' line; or another knot might be 'stronger';
because bend in support line by knot reduces the amount of load that can be held.
{Absolute rope capacity is same, Relative/s(h)ituational capacity is reduced}
bend_sPart.png

But, you can use the same bending a tightened line force,
you have to be wary of in making a hitch;
to stand on your side to tension lines/ move things just as easily!
youTube vid students ratcheting boat across ground by sweating line
In tiedowns, i look at a zRig or even webbing (flat rope) ratchets;
as linear tightening, many times as just the prep to real tightening;
of then bending the tightened lines, all the same here, sweating line or bending sPart.
Douuble%20leverage%20tie%20downs.JPG

Applied to rigging to pretension line or give slight lift(sorry very olde/early drawing:
Bent_line_applications_sm.gif

link to full view of above pic
edit/add: using Muenter around trunk as a 2/1 to bend line/sweat purchase from:
sweating_muenter.png

Flash vid on sweating line and using Muenter as above pic shows

krab_loading_1.png

EDIT/ Add:
From the school of hard knocks ;
University of: OJTSOSMF (On the Job Training, Sink Or Swim Mo'Fo)
krab_loading_captive.png

We used the truck (running gear and frame) from a hay wagon without a deck on it, that we beefed up to haul logs home back in the late 1970s through early 1990s. Three large oak planks, one along the side of the wagon frame, and two as ramps. Used a wrapped rope (not quite a parbuckle) to get the logs up the ramps and on the hay wagon. The tail end of the rope was left loose; not tied off on the wagon; rather we'd wrap the line around the log three times, with plenty of tail over the log leading away from the wagon and the working/hauling end came off the top of the log and over the wagon to a tractor or truck, or even a come-a-long anchored to a tree. Just like natural crotch lowering, where three wraps effectively lock off and prevent lowering a piece, the log was 'captured' and easily rolled up the ramps. Easy to control, and we could pile two to three courses high and then lash them down with load chains and binders. Wish we'd taken photos back then...

KENNY!!!!!

MISSED YOU!!!

kinda gave up hope on staying in touch... glad to see your mind is still at it and you are willing to share some of that... 2002 seems like such a long time ago... I've been having fun matching the cuts tot he rigging for extra sweet and slow movement and control...

does anyone remember the "dent on hinging thread" back at AS running at the same time as the "why I only charge $10 for palm pruning" .... feels like we all have learned a lot since then. You were a big part of that foe me.... always grateful..

My Brutha's!
It seems this internet allowed us to go to different schools together and trade/copy homework to the common good!
As ye, i cut my teeth doing this crazy work;
even now as my own wings have been clipped/ can't climb;
am forced to walk only on ground like normal peoples;
i still feel blessed to have been one of the chosen few allowed to climb so freely, and learn life thru it;
and to share that thru hear.
Actually; been aiming for Tree Nature above/below ground and extreme hinging/swing-dutchman threads.
Trees have helped settle the planet, and are some very misunderstood creatures!
Only by taking Dr. Shigo's invitation to all to touch (and study) trees would i have known this.
The dutchman's danger is from being on the extreme side of the curve;
but then to really learn anything i think you have to understand it's extreme limits(side dutchman + tapered for both sides of hinging extremes).
And mostly L-earning dutchman would be to know how the powers work;
and then mostly how to then not invoke/conjure these forces (mostly accidentally) in felling!
BUT, Dent's whole model for felling can be turned sideways, for rigging in tree at lower/safer loading ranges.
Dent's little drawings i couldn't understand for years, were/are right on target/ correct physics!
dents_book.jpg

Certainly so; and at the fattest end.
Said loss would be a co$t of having to steer with this then.
But then, not lending into the Natural fall path/ re-directing;
would tend less force on fall(branches taking less hit)
than if feeding directly into the gravity pull/head lean.
i think the picture chosen specifically for the book cover;
to show 1 extreme of the art; the small, humble manual teaches.
i think in terms of a timeline:
1 man chainsaws starting in 50's, book pub.1974; puts it as some raw first gen. knowledge,
of probably the largest trees, age of massive forest clearings, with most monster saws(pre-epa);
the book not duplicated even yet; still same price / a bargain of knowledge.

edit:
arguably/ if not already strategy in use:
If used dutch step on opposite face side/cross-axis from the fibre-pull/ rooster tail (rooster tail probable tapered hinge);
The push-up from the side step/dutchman as lift on the head lean side;
could/would have lessened need for and resulting fibre-pull seen/ from rear off-side of head-lean.
Operating against a side-lean; by looking at the left/right sides of hinge as individual adjustments, rather than 1 generic strip.
Side-lean empowers tapered-hinge(tension) and dutch-step(compression) in the L-R halfs of hinge adjustment model.
A hinge tries to automate the compression/tension response to side-lean automatically.
These strategies just allow to maximize these Natural responses to the side-loading to desired felling path.
It's really a great lil'book showing this mechanic!
( in actual large felling, dutchman early close push up/back,
especially across full face/offering no relief;
can overcome the constitution of the spar and barberchair it)

Here's one for you to ponder Kenny..

do you think the extra turn on the sling (white rope on porty) spreads the weight out across more fibers in the rope making this a stronger configuration than without the extra wrap?

Attachments

• extra turn porty sling.jpg
    extra turn porty sling.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 85
In 1969 when I was taught a week long mountaineering course by Army Rangers (part of a survival course, not official Army) They taught us an "anchor bowline"...sometimes our top rope belay line or rappel line was tied to a wire cable across the face of the mountain or a tree. They taught us to put that extra round turn in the loop of the bowline to spread out the forces on the rope.

So, yes, I say it does help...at least the Rangers thought so. If you screwed something up you did pushups THEN, not matter where you were...60 feet up a cliff on a teensy ledge is a bad place to screw up and get a Ranger pissed at you..pushups get challenging then.

That is as i know it too.
I would think so, but I'm not Kenny.
so you are right as well as lucky!
From 1 of my fave ABoK chaps/ chapter_21:HITCHES TO SPAR AND RAIL (RIGHT-ANGLE PULL)
#1720 "......If a spar is small a round turn is preferable to a single
turn. It makes a stronger knot and dissipates the wear."
i'd think that would apply to/but less to larger diameters.
Conversely, a Double Bowline is said to be stronger because
the Standing Part(sPart) then takes a longer route over the same deformity.
for less change/impact of change per inch.
Kinda like going at angle across RR trax, same bumps, just at longer angle/less impacting.
A Round Turn (RT) also appears earlier quoted as also lending more strength if NOT on the spar/mount...
#1669 almost first in the same chapter_21 :
"....If the rope is weak and the hoist is heavy,
a round turn on the standing part adds
materially to the strength of the knot."
And addendum from the one that calls himself knudeNoggin(knot head )
whom i have L-earned more knot chit on the web from than the next 3 people hands down;
Also quoted in books, Grogno's etc.!
The RT only imparts the strength noted above if lots of tension in it:
only a simple/single Turn around host spar, not a full RT.
RT around host/spar gives too much friction/ pinching off the line tension that would flow to RT around sPart to grab it
So the effect is lost.
This and a chat hear with one Nick from ohio/wisconsin/indiana about pinning bitters to sPart to make eye;
and this would be high/100% strength evolved my theories to this strength model
and further questions: Did the high tension RT around sPart manage the deformity better by:
firming the critical/ breakage part of the line, or softening/extending the deformity
and/or lending some support/alternative load routing thru the grip:
(mnemonic Saddle rides the Solid/major side of line always)
rope_clamp_model.png

The simple/single Turn just deforms line, RT can also grip, Coil can grip section.
Deformity weakens, grip manages deformity better, coil grips section so most likely to be inline with sPart.

i think you can race thru ABoK copying more knots than you can name; and miss the main course!
i think that lil'comments like "...a round turn on the standing part adds materially to the strength of the knot."
are the real lessons; the numbered knots just examples of these things in practice!
i try to think of the author and how many knot drwaings he kept safe and dry to then sift to these 7000!
i always imagine Mrs.ABoK getting so upset from piles of knot drawings across tables and dining room chairs etc. as this never again duplicated volume was maid.

We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~​

Working smarter not harder thru science.
This one principle has so many different forms,
that can be as elusive to see.
saveForces_1.png

That was one of the best explanations of why a single and nonmoving overhead pulley has mechanical advantage for a climber. It is amazing how often this is still argued.

Apply climber-self-lift science we all already use;
to lift or preTighten rig against load.
PreTightening 400+# into a rig would normally just handset line;
can be a total game changer!
2men can look like doing the same exact thing,
but 1 seems to have better L.U.C.K.(Labor Under Controlled Knowledge).
Finding and tapping into this existing force pattern,
is like getting free energy from Sun;
just by following Nature's rules.
You can't cheat Mother Nature at Her own game;
but you can surrrrrrre join Her in said game / already in progress!!

saveForces_3.png

You don't need a pulley to do this, just any 1st class lever:pulley, redirect(like pulley with friction), stiff lever, wheel/pivot etc. pattern.

Back