Rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Years later had to extend model above to fig8 giving separate nipping loops for HFP8/T.A.L.K. shown earlier(and below) ;
At IGKT forum last November knot guru Dan Lehman has simply reversed the tuckings thru fig8 to opposite direction for a quicker, and sleeker adjustable terminal/ending eye on rope like Bowline. From a very familiar figure8/slipped +1 tuck is DONE/sweeeeeet!
Quick8-adjustable-eye-make-slipped-fig8-and-tuck.png

Dan Lehman has defined points and come up with other innovations; including a great quick release : The Tumble Hitch
Both very good, and conceptually very clean builds.
Looking to prove beyond the utility functions more.

Last edited:
Found this in my stuff, exemplifying finds on sweat/swig using body as 2/1 input system to a loop, impacting and leg force input upgrades; and just thinking alone in the air, to get it done with just rope.

This is a simple adjustable UTILITY grade eye.
To me simpler to fumble especially in smallers than Blake's/ProGrip(some say ProhGrip for real 1st 'inventor' of the form :Heinz Prohaska or even Prohaska hitch, that really got popularized as arborist's Blake's tho)
>>a build properly set in proper round flexible/not too stiff material(rope), has fair grip truly
But most wonderous to this knot/rope geek is in dropping 1 of the 'interrupted' Turns of Blake's/ProGrip
>>more cleanly minimizes the form to absolute minimal needed i think to work
adjustable-terminal-eye-build.png

Again we see here especially clearly the workhorse of an RT(Round Turn=3x continuous/uninterrupted arc180s) in rope usage
>>and then a simple/minimal anti-creep jam 'wedged' in, backing up the workhorse RT, very simply viewed in these 'cleaner' more minimal works. The anti-creep is swiss-army knife utility all at once of final termination to empower rest of system to load AND buffers force(pre-fixes) to the workhorse RT as still anti-creep(post RT), all the same time ! Protects workhorse RT, coming AND going !
The RT workhorse is what needs to be 'screwed' on to host like bottlecap, the interrupted turn can be much looser by comparison, but not too much so or slides.
Have always thought of this as a 'Half-Pro' and tongue in cheek upgrade to 5x uninterrupted arc180s(Dbl.RT)
>>call as a .... Double Half Pro ! of fiercer grip, but still simpler than formal Blakes for utility usage, would not consider proven to lifeline levels.
Other functions are on loading the load is like a positive force, the termination a ground that 'lights' points between with tension. Once empowered so, the RT workhorse can do it's job, and needs only a bit of anti-creep jam to cover/cleanup any remaining inefficiency of force reduction post RT.
Note how the SPart(Standing Part) is most tensioned rigidity, almost iron bar rigid compared to rest of later rope parts applied, so the other parts 'give way', as are less rigid so they are the ones 'displaced' to curl around the iron bar concept part (SPart).
The simple clean utility, is one prize here;
but the more 'transparent' cleaner/simpler view of internal works microcosm
>>a totally other dimension of prize that carries across MANY more things.
If can catch the hint to it's silhouette form here in plainer view, is easier to sift confidently the same works in other things to diagnose same .
edit:
Note too the final nip on BE(Bitter End) is pretty raw from half of eye load tension force squashing the reduced tension BE with a potential of 2x1 arc against the conceptual 'iron pipe' of the SPart. In flexibles/rope, tension gives the rigidity, so 'tensioned rigidity' to me, the least tensioned BE area would be as pillow soft rigidity to the iron rigidity of the SPart.
A crossing in rigids, pretty much 1 factor of change :pressure, the parts each have own 'native' rigidity in competition then powered by the forces. In rope/flexibles class the force change changes the tension AND rigidity of the competing members crossed, more likely to deform lesser part. So can get more of a tongue and groove against crossing slide and then force too! More like iron/steel strap stamping not just across, but into 2x4 to hold with force as powered parts of different rigidities in crossing; that lesser gives way to in.
Knots are simply system builds in rope; these are the points of manufacture as fingers form the material(rope)
>>these visible concepts seen show mechanix that carry to other systems as components of them too, this is rope work.

Last edited:
About 2 decades ago Cow w/Better Half was a rage/seemed fashionable.
i came up with this and used it well, usually make the tail /Bitter End a slip, but just for more bulky spacer to the top nip
>>as i also consider the previous 'twirls' as spacers to final nip in Timber finished at top of 'hill'
The slip as the Half Hitch forms both are not used for their general purposes, but rather to maintain the control leg/output crossed under the Standing Part/input and then in the high nip position. It does this 'early' in lacing, way before BE(Bitter End) and then almost again, but still in premium position on BE.
Forces seating to host, that we use for frictions, nips and grips, are determined by the radial/clock position from the input/Standing Part direction.
From a 6o'clock directional(so linear) input, TDC/noon gives the greatest downward seating pressure
>>where we find 2x in pulley*.

crossed-cow-top-nipper.png

Would think someone else tripped over same pattern, but not seen that i remember.

shown:
From 6oclock pull TDC/noon is greatest DOWNWARD seating for frictions, nips and grips 2 xTension Xcos1=200#
not shown:
>>my theory extends to 45o from TDC/noon at 10:30 and 1:30 as most COLLECTIVE force seating,
>>cos and sine both .707 >>find 2 xTension(from apex/TDC) x .707 downward + 1 xTension x .707 inward =212.1# total
So i see 'artic cap' of cold clamping down pressure between 10.30 - 1:30 as target.
Seems that would make position in ABoK Sailor Hitch very purposefully not at TDC/noon..
ABoK Lesson# 0465/pg.076: "Sailor's Hitch"/un-named
Pull from right side counter clockwise, nip at 10:30 of great nip and then if walks, would have to do going from less downward pressure, to MORE downward pressure. If nip at TDC/noon greatest downward pressure , and works a bit it is towards relief of less downward pressure, but fighting side pressure increase tho. Thanks again Mr. Ashley !
This is rope work, and nip position(s) are key.

Last edited:
Back