Finding/ training/ retaining good employees...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, JP, I do need to relax. Easier said than done.

Its very hard to relax when people continue to do dangerous stuff around me, against the agreed upon plan/ training, or do stupid things like not telling me that when I trusted them to do some work, that a critical machine was a problem. This reinforces the feeling of needing to train them, then expect them to follow training, do their jobs like a professional, and they get paid every payday. When things run smoothly, there is more money for lunches, bonuses, gear, training, etc.

'Just' tree work to me, at best, is pruning apple trees and small ornamentals, dumping easy trees in the open, etc. Very low risk.

I figure it to be an all-to-frequently dangerous and damaging job, unless its done well. Clearly, its not hand-to-hand combat, and but as someone said, it not a matter of the next pot of coffee not getting made. Not the printer is jammed.

Yes, Levi, I aim to search college/ tech school programs to find invested people who want to be professionals. I started a TB thread about it, to find some leads to training programs.

So how do you all screen potential employees (what do you look for, ask, etc) and train? How do you 'discipline' (in the sense of formal/ informal disciplinary policy) for safety violations, etc?

Before starting my company, I mostly worked for larger organizations (program within state Gov't/ large company with 'hoods in the woods', federal subsidized Americorps conservation work with 30-100 field staff seasonally, State Parks) with little chunks here and there with mom-and-pop businesses. That is my background with with training people and dealing with safety, paperwork, etc. Years of "you're in real trouble if someone gets hurt in the backcountry", too.

Envious:

youtube won't embed...
video-2010-michael poor one man tree service

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MgLFFNrADNA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sean, you know how I teach people to tie knots?

Give them a list of knots and tell them to learn them.
Till then, it is only grunt work for them.

Easy enough.

I gave my new apprentice a list before X-mas holidays and told him I expected him to have them down when he came back after x-mas.

He didn't, so I told him that we were very disappointed in him.

Turns out that his beloved uncle had a heart attack x-mas eve and he has been spending the vacation more or less in the hospital.

So I told him, hey, sitting at a death bed is the perfect place to practice knots!

As a joke and only after making sure his uncle was ok.

Next weekend he had them all down.

As for people walking into the drop zone, I don't think it is possible to avoid it completely.

The climber has e responsibility to check the zone, as well as the groundies have one to stay out of it.

When I tried out for my ISA certification 2 months ago, I had to do a rigging scenario.

There were two guys judging me, one was to act as my groundie.

I asked him to dend up a large block and sling.
As I was tying it on, I realize the guy is standing underneath. So I just told him he just got his ass fired.
Go home and don't bother come back tomorrow.

He didn't like that one bit, but eventually had to admit that I was right.
Even a top guy like that can have a spaced out moment.

Yikes Sean!!

As I see it, YOU appear to be the primary trainer, that's hard as I have had the luxury of being trained in a College, then taking those skills to the workplace, where at least the basics were sufficient to keep me safe, then were added onto by on-the-job training. Its not an easy fix, you need staff, you need safe staff.

Just a suggestion though...as long as there isn't a major life threatening situation would you be willing to let your guys go through a whole day without a nit-pick? Then at they end of the day, ask them to self-evaluate their safety and procedures? Perhaps have them watch each other and see what they can observe about how the other is working? No fault, no blame but a different pair of eyes? If the day proceeded with no injuries and no major close calls and production targets were achieved, would that be ok with you? Sounds like you need to have them taking ownership of safety, how to achieve that without pulling every last hair out of your head is the challenge.

I have part time people work with me in Bermuda, when I know what kind of job I've got coming up, I know who I need to have on site. My great little work all day drag brush rake and clean up girl groundie is not suitable for a rigging job, I know I've got to get one of the guys on site, but by gum, she'll clean it up, and fast. I won't put her in the situation of being frustrated at not being able to perform to my expectations for rigging because it's just not her skill set.

The original post:
What do you have to say?

I really wanted to find good input, and not be such a rant. Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for that input, Fiona.

My college education put some 'well-roundedness' into things, as well as some hard science and such. All tree stuff came afterward. Hands-on, a lot of reading and trying, and SPs put some good experience in there, too. I almost pulled out a springboard, today, something I learned to use there first.

I find it okay to put my butt on the line, when I'm in control of the variables. I can stay focused, and take bites out of big elephants.

I have been endangered too many times by groundies.

Two days of working without distractions has been really nice.

I'm going to search some of the schools for someone on a career path.

Sean, I do not want you to take this the wrong way... But .. Are you really sure you are in the right occupation? Your stress level seems way high for what you are doing. I am a stress monkey too. I get pissed off at a lot of stoopid shit I feel could have been done better and with less repetitive reminding. But you seem like you are really just over the top done with this shit.
Last resort for you my friend. Find someone that really wants to be in this trade. Pay him or her good pay accordingly. Look to your trained individuals coming out of a school or training in the field. Someone in forestry or something. Maybe poach a person out of the parks or forest service. Just saying.. Maybe just take on what you can do solo until you find the right fit. Or maybe re-assess your career. Or maybe re-assess your stress from personal life or where it might also be coming from.
I feel you are stressing over stoopid crap. Safety is not stoopid. But dood... You are way extra stressful over it. JMO.
Drives me nutz too. Look at what I deal with in Rob... About have to throw something at him to get him to put a GD hard hat on. Or get his attention since he regularly turns his head set down. Granted, hard to throw something if it's an employee vs a business partner. :lol:
But sometimes.... You have to let the kids stub their toe. Just make sure its a light example of what could go on and wrong and maybe, innocently, by accidentally on purpose help it along. How I taught my kiddo to stay out from under the tree was to drop a damn small limb on him. Did it hurt? YUP!. Hurt just enough like a good spanking. But some people have to learn like that.
Personally... try to find a good fit with a good climber. Or at least a decent climber. Take turns being groundie. Works for me. Nice to have a rest once in a while. Nice to make messes together too.

Sean, you sound like an experienced tree guy who put his time in learning the art and science and probably one that has a lot of natural ability as well. I feel that I fall into that category myself. Unfortunately the trade off is it can make you a below average teacher. You shouldn't take offense to that, because I have been there myself and still struggle with it sometimes. When people excel in their craft, they often make the mistake of thinking that everyone else is at the same level and do not take the time to explain things thoroughly. In reading through the last post you made, that looks like the case.

One thing that helps me is to step back, put myself into a persons head, and see where they are coming from. The fellow that started to untie your saw before you were finished with it is a good example of that. His entire career as a ground guy has been about two things basically: Dragging/chipping brush and tying and untying chainsaws onto ropes. In his mind, retrieving your saw out of harms way, or so that it wouldn't be a potential boat anchor for you was his automatic response. If you didn't specifically tell him you were about to pull it up again, you sent him a very mixed and confusing message, IMO. Any deviation from the norm like that needs to be explained. The same with the guy pulling your pull rope before you began notching the top, just tell him to wait for your signal and explain why. Training people comes easier once you realize that the average person just doesn't get tree work yet and that they really are only trying to help at this point. At least they aren't sitting idle.

As far as not reporting mechanical problems, again, not everyone is mechanically inclined. They may just not have the experience yet to hear the subtle changes in sound or when something isn't working at 100%. They will. To be brutally honest, if a chipper sat for weeks and got water in the fuel and frozen lines, you can't really blame the staff for that one. Among other things, problems like that can be minimized by starting and running any chipper, bucket truck, or spray rig at the yard or shop in the morning for a little while to identify hard starting and look for leaks. You leaving the job site or not had nothing to do with that, a frozen distributor is a frozen distributor. Like the guy from California said above, the chipper issue should be taken as YOUR " damn small limb" on your head to learn from.

Again, I hope no offense is taken by my post. None is meant. I have struggled with the above for years, and managed to get better at it. Hell, just the other day I confused a guy that works for me because, quite frankly, I was talking out of my ass about something I didn't fully understand myself. Self reflection on my part got the situation under control. I think that if you can identify your own faults, and see where others are coming from, you'll have an easier time.

Good post

Most people definitely can not hear subtlies in running of equipment. Most all won't hear a lean out condition or a new rattle. That is the captain's job. I am the captain. My resposibility. Ultimately, every thing that goes on at a job site is.

I may be speaking out of my ass. But the impression I get is that Sean has a HUGE amount of built up skill and ideas to get things done, in it's simplest form if the employee/help would just follow the instructions to the letter then the day will end quicker, safer and more profitable for everyone. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Just my keyboard view.

Again, I hope no offense is taken by my post. None is meant. I have struggled with the above for years, and managed to get better at it. Hell, just the other day I confused a guy that works for me because, quite frankly, I was talking out of my ass about something I didn't fully understand myself. Self reflection on my part got the situation under control. I think that if you can identify your own faults, and see where others are coming from, you'll have an easier time.

NONE taken. I'm looking for lessons others have learned, so I can learn from them, rather than beat my head against the wall.

Yes, Stephen, VA's post is good. Sorry, don't know your name.

What I will say is that I have an solid training/ experiential education background. One past employee works for the USFS now, FT, another one went from working for me with little experience to getting directly on a HotShot crew (he was low man on the totem pole, naturally). I've trained a lot of people over the years. I can't train them to implement what has been trained and tested, or force them to follow a protocol, as nobody can force anyone to do anything.

This last was picking up training, but would not retain it in the long term. I should have seen this mismatch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

We should have started the chipper after it sat. True story. Normally, I do. I've learned that lesson before.

Gary put a transmission in his car this summer, and has never paid anyone in his 50 years to work on a rig. He put a thermostat in my chip truck. He told me this when recently the Ford dealer where he just bought a truck, was willing to install the fuel pump that went bad for free, since he had just bought the truck.
Too late, he told me that he had trouble starting it and it didn't run right. They chipped for at least half an hour, maybe and hour, hour and a half.

That whole time that I trusted the 2 guys on the crew (one was new) to operate without me, while I went with another newbie to bid a job that I figured might be 30-60 minutes of work done at that initial visit (climb and dump a small tree, then leave), I was less than 5 minutes away by truck, and confirmed they had a phone and that I had a phone, and we would both have reception, and to call if they needed anything. This easy, simple plan was ignored, and he didn't report any issue when I returned, rather told me what had been accomplished (chipped all brush, moved logs with mini, cleared footing and workzone of hazards), as is protocol.

I had it running after that, as well. I stalled it after it was part way to full operating temp and I was engaging the clutch. After screwing with it for a while, troubleshooting, he then told me that they had troubles with it starting (well it is old, so ok, but normally runs smooth and hungry, even if its a bit hard to start) a week earlier, rather than all went smoothly, as it seemed. This was not some unidentified issue. I didn't expect him to diagnose or fix it. My mechanic is 5 minutes away from that job, once the chipper is hooked to the truck. I expected him to report an issue, as he's been trained to do. I don't fix things that aren't broken/ malfunctioning. I can't guess that they didn't work right in my absence if the work is done, and progress was made. I expected a phone call, or him to tell me when I returned. The domino effect was wasted time and being without the chipper for a handful of days, as the mechanic got busy. This could have been fixed in the week we didn't need the chipper, and saved us a bunch of extra work.

One of my faults is that I expect people to learn and retain their training, and be able to perform it, or say that they need help with it or time to practice it. I encourage them to practice rope work in the paid down-time they have everyday. One or two minutes everyday will make someone a knot tying pro. You don't have to have a tree to tie a cow-hitch.

I think that a lot of people feel entitled to do things 'their' way, even when they don't see the big picture, repeatedly, or someone else has lots more knowledge and experience. If they are competent, safe, won't damage things, and productive, great, do it your way. If you can teach me something, I'm all ears. If you want to fight the tension on the lowering line that is impeding you from untying the knot everytime because you don't want to unwrap the POW, which will need to be unwrapped anyway, that's not great. If you want to fight landing a piece because you keep lowering the the piece onto the lowering line, that's not great. If you want to keep pinning the rope under a log in the mud, rather than lower it onto a spacer log, keeping the rope from being pinched and out of the mud, not great. Not rocket science.

How should I keep up on knowing their retention? Maybe I need to pop-quiz them, rather than trust them so much. I had trouble with a bowline on a bight for a while, as it is sorta like a fireman's 8 but with a curveball thrown in. What did I do to complete the knots my boss required of me? I practiced until I could do it, then kept practicing when I need to, in order to be able to do my job well. That was a my job. That was my responsibility. I didn't have to learn it on my own, I could ask for help. I was being paid to practice it, and know it.

I tell people these things very, very clearly at the interview. I tell them I'm a hard boss, as I expect to train them to be a safe professional not some run of the mill grunt which I Do Not Want, and for them to maintain their skills, on the clock, whether during the work day or another day. If they practice skills on the weekend for an hour, put an hour on their timesheet. No big deal. Spend some time with the rigging rope practicing out of the drop-zone when I tell you I'll be self-sufficient in the tree for 10 minutes, rather than standing there watching me work.

I expect that they will know the info and follow the info, with training, from the How to be an Excellent Groundman article. Is this unrealistic? It might be.

Do I expect them to ID disease by fruiting bodies, or obscure trees, or favored growing conditions for different species? No.

Back the truck up by saying "5 feet back, 6 inches to the to the Driver's side", as we train and practice every day, rather than "Come on back, to the left, more to the right, more to the left, more to the right, Whoa!! Whoa!! Go back forward."? Yes.

With an automatic pick-up and Senas, is it really that much to ask to follow a simple, low risk, unambiguous procedure that lets us move under the pintle hitch pretty much every time, and use the unambiguous word "Stop" when you want someone to stop, rather than "Okay" or "whoa" or "hold on". A ball and ball-coupler is tougher, but I guide them on to it the same way, slowly, the first time, most every time.

If I wanted to take three tries to line up the hitch pintle (which I can almost do on my own if its a straight shot back by lining up the chipper and truck with the mirrors), I'd simply do it solo by getting out of the truck and looking for myself, and let them continue doing something productive.
If I wanted to fight moving the pintle ring over the hook by manually moving a heavy trailer, often on soft ground, rather than pedals and words, I'd wouldn't both asking them for help.

Honestly, should I expect less for (what to me, compared to tree work, are) such simple, routine things? How do you guys deal with the same problem over and over?

How many times do you think its okay to have to go over a simple, effective, unambiguous non-damaging, hitching and backing-up procedure? 3, 5, 10, 20? Should I let them waste a bunch of time doing a routine thing a new or random thing everytime.

Clear communication can let us push pedals and twist the steering wheel, getting us into tighter closer spots. I'd rather spend 10 minutes moving the truck 50 feet closer, that spend and extra hour humping brush that extra 50 feet.

Maybe it boils down to this. Owner operators are efficient and bid work for that time frame. Most employees will never work too that standard. So you can stay owner op and make what you currently make or you can bid high enough to train employees and not have to climb daily till you're 65.

I may be speaking out of my ass. But the impression I get is that Sean has a HUGE amount of built up skill and ideas to get things done, in it's simplest form if the employee/help would just follow the instructions to the letter then the day will end quicker, safer and more profitable for everyone. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Just my keyboard view.

That's my approach.

I've seen so much needless injury/ damage/ loss or near injury/damage/ loss, so many unnecessarily critical situations.

My general impression is that it usually those who can afford it least (working guy trying to make it) who bear the most risk, with the benefit going to the owner, who wants to avoid training costs, to not worry about making the person a good asset to the company or give them professional development.

When people follow the training and routine, things go safely and smoothly. My butt is covered. Their butts are covered, too.

Maybe it boils down to this. Owner operators are efficient and bid work for that time frame. Most employees will never work too that standard. So you can stay owner op and make what you currently make or you can bid high enough to train employees and not have to climb daily till you're 65.

Thanks, Willie.

How do you train your guys? What do you expect from them? What do you do when this expectation is met? Not met? What counts as a strike to you? How many strikes per year do they get?

I'm also curious what training you guys do/ are supposed to do to be legal, where you work?

How much do you think the industry, as a whole, does of this required training?

Here, its like a $5,000 fine to not have this Accident Prevention Program in place.
http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/AToZ/APP/default.asp

In WA, the State provided Workers' Comp, paid on an hourly basis, btw. Maybe that raises the bar, but I don't know.

I gather leg pro and head pro are in the $1000-2000 fine range.

I live in the State Capitol, with the WA a large/ the largest Labor and Industries base of operations. Inspectors here go out with telephoto cameras and such, I'm told. At least when checking up on people collecting WC payments. I don't know if they 'spy' on job sites. They are around.

One thing that is tough for operations like your's is that you are really the only experienced guy there, and it sounds like you do most if not all of the climbing. There is never another experienced person on the ground to help coach and reinforce. Lowering and rigging on the ground is almost one of those things that needs to be witnessed done the right way for it to ever sink in.

You had to learn somewhere. Is there someone at a company you used to work for that would be able to come out and work with you all here and there to help with smoothing out the rough edges of your staff?

What kind of time frame do you train them over Sean?

I think it takes a good year or two to train a decent groundie, who comes with the right stuff to start with & 5 years to be a rounded production climber capable.
It takes time to learn how tree work "feels" & how a site runs. It is an alien environment to just about every other walk of life. It can be bewildering, chaotic & dangerous to newbies. It's hard to learn when your primary pre-occupation is whether that 200kg log is going to land on you or not, as you do not understand how or what is happening.
I try not to set a training time-table in a rigid fashion, but let them learn at a pace they can cope with. Pushing too much on top of them will never allow them to develop & consolidate the skills they have previously learned.
Exploit there strengths & strenghen there weaknesses :thumbup:

A good idea. Keep them coming.

I don't know who that might be.

I've only really worked with two local companies tag teaming on a handful of jobs, me subbing to/ from them.Didn't go super well.

The guy I worked for as a sub is an old logger turned residential tree removal and poor pruning. Crude tactics. Bad judgment. Owes money all over town, including me.

The one I subbed to help me kept trying to 'drive' the hard way (aforementioned). When you don't have experience using a machine for material handling, you still look through hand-power lenses. I had him help me rigging down some big cottonwoods, and he didn't seem savvy to pulling the tips north, if you want to lay the butt south so you can move it south with the machine. A hard worker, but I don't think as experienced.

I've worked around two other companies who tag-teamed jobs locally, as an employee. Far from spar, almost cut off thumb, rolled over truck and facial paralysis, crushed by machine. blah blah.

I haven't worked with any of who I expect to be better, locally. Something to consider.

The one has been around awhile and gets good work done, but still, illegally, works employees on spurs and flip-line for a lot of removals, because a climbing system takes too much time (or so it was when my friend worked for them a while back). The boss is a long time CA and tree worker.

My old boss at SPs is great at felling big, rotten stuff without thinking much about it, as that was a big part of our jobs, but doesn't like roping stuff. We were usually quick and dirty, free drop most everything, other people would cleanup, plants would grow back. We were on to the next big or small hazard tree.

A lot of work around here is relatively simple, just big sometimes. A single-stem fir with an open dropzone is no big deal.

A lot of people will take crushed plants for a cheaper price. Not my game.

I try to tell people that I can crush anything in sight, like anyone else, but I can work over greenhouses, too. They say that they want this that and the other preserved. Then sometimes go with the next bid, who is lower priced, and higher impact.

I should tell people more, this is the Crash and Dash price, and this is what your price is for what you're telling me you want preserved.

Starting before they ever go on the job site, Pete. Call and Respond. They are never in danger of getting crushed by a log or branch so long as they will abide by it. From the beginning, I tell them to watch their footing, clear tripping hazards, etc. Safe lifting.

Step by step.

Then, get into other stuff. My last employee's fiance helped now and again when we needed some extra basic hands for raking and blowing, and they needed money. She's a hard worker and will pull brush and use a small saw, too.

I had her backing me up with the manual transmission chip truck (pintle hitch and ring), low, clear, concise on her first try, dead on.

Laid out the procedure (the Call). She told me what she understood and asked clarifying questions (Respond).

Stop means stop. Driver's side means driver's side no matter if looking in the mirror, facing forward or backward or hanging upside down.

She told me... 20', 15', 10', 5', Stop. Let me look. Okay its going to be 5' back, 3" driver's side. Come back, 5,4,3. Stop. Let me look. It actually about 2' back, 1' driver's side. Come back. 2'. 1'. 6". 3". Stop. Park it.

No big deal. Plan the work, work the plan.

I walk people through stuff in non-critical situations first.

Starting before they ever go on the job site, Pete. Call and Respond. They are never in danger of getting crushed by a log or branch so long as they will abide by it. From the beginning, I tell them to watch their footing, clear tripping hazards, etc. Safe lifting.

Step by step.

Then, get into other stuff. My last employee's fiance helped now and again when we needed some extra basic hands for raking and blowing, and they needed money. She's a hard worker and will pull brush and use a small saw, too.

I had her backing me up with the manual transmission chip truck (pintle hitch and ring), low, clear, concise on her first try, dead on. Laid out the procedure.

Stop means stop. Driver's side means driver's side no matter if looking in the mirror, facing forward or backward or hanging upside down. Okay doesn't mean Stop.

She told me... 20', 15', 10', 5', Stop. Let me look. Okay its going to be 5' back, 3" driver's side. Come back, 5,4,3. Stop. Let me look. It actually about 2' back, 1' driver's side. Come back. 2'. 1'. 6". 3". Stop. Park it.

I've taught a lot of AmeriCorps volunteers (3-12 month stints, "volunteer' national service program, a stipend and College loan payback awards. Most were more social service, ours was conservation) to fell, limb, and buck dead hazard trees in the back-country, coming in with no experience, using ms440s. Mostly college kids with no previous tree/ chainsaw work experience.

We also had some bad injuries and a lot of cut chaps on other crews. I had one pair of chaps cut by a guy within 5 minutes. A small nick. Not his forte. I've taken stitches out of a Mexican guy's chest and wrist. He stood in another worker's kickback zone. He was a stubborn Mexican who drove himself to the hospital, rather than someone else. He wasn't going to go to the hospital to have someone remove some simple sutures. On young woman got laid out flat, with a back injury from a dead top hitting her as she was using her escape path.

It's ok training before they actually get to site & them being out of danger, but they cannot perform until they get used to there environment - Yes, training is the footing for knowledge, but until they have time to develop the skill for themselves, all they have is training!

The guy I worked for as a sub is an old logger turned residential tree removal and poor pruning. Crude tactics. Bad judgment. .

That describes me to a T:lol:

I do the crash and dash price a lot.

Usually if I have to work around some stupid scrub or flower ( If it isn't edible, it has no place in MY garden) but the way I do it, is ask them if that plant is worth so & so much.

When they ask why, I tell them that is how much it costs to avoid smashing it.

Let them decide for themselves.

I once took a medium size oak out in the middle of a bed of flowering tiger lillies without bending a single flower, because it was important to the client, and she had the means to pay for it, but on the whole I prefer not to make my life more difficult than it aleady is.

No Stig, this guy is about my age and is the alcoholic, Red Bull and cigarettes by day, Bud Lite and cigarettes by night, doesn't know what a climbing line is, and barely knows about a lowering line is, ex-logger.

When I mention loggers, people shouldn't read FALLER. There is a huge amount of non-falling work done. Working in logging is a lot of other work. Loggers understand this. I'm not sure how much people not so experienced with logging understand this.

This guy was a decent faller, though, just a poor climber, didn't even own a hand-truck or wheel-barrow, but would carry wood to the truck by hand. Always working high, like eye-height) with his 460 when firewooding down spars because he was scared to death of cutting his only flip-line. ahhh, why not use two, then, high and low? Too hung over to figure that out. I gave him hitch cord and taught him.

Pete, I don't hire anyone without some knowledge. Agreed, they only have knowledge until they have experience. I build that up, step by step. I can operate a mini-x and a small skidder, but am NOT good at it. I ask questions of experience people (one of my M.O.s for learning) and only do what is I can do safely. I know what some people with lots of experience can do. I ask them to show me.

Staying out of the drop doesn't really take experience, just paying attention for the climber to call over the Sena's "Come under", or "You can come under if you need to."

Back