Looking at a used chipper...

As a final consideration, I think of how much more money an item will make me and how quickly. Then, also, how much more enjoyment will it add to my work. Or, how much danger, pain will it remove.

Chipper... Our bigger one is paying off in spades. Now granted, we have a lot of dead trees now. But I would be hard pressed to be competative, let alone profitable, with out it. Yes I would prefer a 9" Bandit. But 12" will do.. Tad heavy, but it will do. Just some thoughts Fiona.

Went to see it, price was down to 12,500AUD, he came down to $12,000

Nice unit, new anvil, two sets of new blades direct from manufacturer, new battery, new tyres, plenty greasy 1108 on the clock. Oil was clean, hoses secure and no leaks. Previous owner was an arborist who left the state. 2006 model. So has had two owners.
Engine is in good shape, minor issues with the trailer brake, couldn't see the belts, would anticipate getting a spare set would be a good idea. Some surface rust round the rear lights, exhaust pipe a bit crusty but minor.
Started and ran fine, fired through some chunks we brought.
All parts available from the manufacturer in Melbourne, so getting them is not a problem.

So, going to have a think, don't have the full 12k...could put 50% down and pay off 2k per month...
He's had plenty of calls but no takers...he's firm on 12k.

Ohhh decisions!!!

Tbh Fiona, there is no decision, you need a chipper.

Do you have a market for selling mulch, or at least have a free dump spot? I sell my mulch, on the rare occasion that I haul it.

Even lunch is better than nothing for dropping off mulch.

I've dropped mulch around the corner, and gotten a pizza delivered by the HO.

I think Mick hits the nail on the head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got free dump spot at home, and one at a client's property.
Thinking about setting up a green waste removal service...

Going away this week, won't be back for three months so the chipper would be idle in the meantime...

I'd have to source something on the mainland...and I won't buy something that big and expensive (used) unless I can go see it.

Seems like opportunity knocking. Waiting 3 months to use it, no big deal. 3 months of hoping it will be there to buy when you get back...

Its a machine. It won't lose value overnight.

Well I don' t have the full amount, and he wanted a non- refundable deposit to keep it until I could pay the balance, only thing was he was asking around 4k for the non- refundable. Couldn't commit to that. In my book non- refundable deposit is 10%. I was willing to put half down and pay off the rest 2k per month or faster...no dice without a very large non- refundable he said.
I'll have to take my chances.
Big ticket items I find very scary, if I had 12k to hand it would be in my backyard now, but I can't risk slapping down thousands of dollars that I would not get back if I got hurt before I could pay the balance.
Oh well.

Mebbee not Oh Well .... Crap worldwide economy since '08 has left a buyer's market full of used equipment for sale (only my opinion) ... Odds are it will still be there a few months from now.

Well I don' t have the full amount, and he wanted a non- refundable deposit to keep it until I could pay the balance, only thing was he was asking around 4k for the non- refundable. Couldn't commit to that. In my book non- refundable deposit is 10%. I was willing to put half down and pay off the rest 2k per month or faster...no dice without a very large non- refundable he said.
I'll have to take my chances.
Big ticket items I find very scary, if I had 12k to hand it would be in my backyard now, but I can't risk slapping down thousands of dollars that I would not get back if I got hurt before I could pay the balance.
Oh well.

Can't you borrow it from the bank?

Already have loan for the truck...
Didn' get time to make enquiries before I left, and the loan person only comes once a week between 10 and 2.
Just one of those things 'tribulation worketh patience'

Already have loan for the truck...
Didn' get time to make enquiries before I left, and the loan person only comes once a week between 10 and 2.
Just one of those things 'tribulation worketh patience'
Whilst part of me says, "pull your finger out and get that loan/chipper!" I understand your dilemma I'm 52 and got a 30k truck on lease hire, then got a taste for it and paid around the same for my new chipper, first day on the job I put my back out testing the new machine with some big branches. Then stuffed the truck and watched it being winched on to a tow truck (I've had better weeks) all insured so no bother there.
Like me, you are the only climber in your outfit so when you're out of action loans don't get paid.
But you do need one however, your income will increase hugely, and you'll pay the loan off quicker than you think,don't do green waste removal though, "if I didn't cut it, I don't chip it" is what I say.
Anyway don't delay, there's money out there with your name on it.

Thanks for that Mick, all advice and insight gratefully received.
Will land in Bermuda on Tuesday, should be cranking the dollars by next week, all going well, so that chipper may yet end up behind my truck...

The deed is done. He came back and said someone else was interested, I laid out my acceptable terms and he said OK!
It pays to stand your ground sometimes. So I will have a new toy to play with when I get back...smiling

Back