In The News...

Mick, it doesn't strike you as strange that an almost 80-year-old guy gets thrown in jail and remains there under the circumstances described in the news?

He has not been “thrown in jail” he is at the police station while the police find out what happened.

I imagine they are also examining the house closely.

One of the suspects is still at large don’t forget.

Edit:

I take your point though, it’s just procedure though. I cannot think of any recent case where a homeowner has been prosecuted for reasonably protecting their property.

However....

This was a very high profile case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

It remains very divisive, most of us believing that he should not have been convicted.
He was by all accounts a very odd man.

Wasn’t it?

I remember at the time there was a copper saying that if the lobby pushing for greater liberty to protect your homes, you know booby traps etc. Wanted to use him as a poster boy for their campaign they had saddled the wrong horse.

Bad Idea?

It's been working just fine for years now.

Twice cops have knocked on my door and not noticed it or didn't give a shit.

Attachments

• screws 008.jpg
    screws 008.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
A booby trap doesn’t discriminate between the good and bad guys, not a good course of action...

Funnily enough this thread reminded of another issue that came up.

If you imprison or hold anyone against their will, either physically or with the use of threats (assuming you haven’t called the cops and are holding the perps until their arrival) say you tie them up and torture them, even psychologically, you have overstepped the mark and can be prosecuted yourself.

Funnily enough this thread reminded of another issue that came up.

If you imprison or hold anyone against their will, either physically or with the use of threats (assuming you haven’t called the cops and are holding the perps until their arrival) say you tie them up and torture them, even psychologically, you have overstepped the mark and can be prosecuted yourself.

Been there done that. Wasn’t an issue.

So you cannot make a citizen's arrest in France, Mick?

That case with the old man " arrested for murder" would have worked the same way here.
Arrest them, and charge them.
That way they have the right to a puplic defender and all the other rights of an accused.

That means, for instance, that the press is not allowed to refer to them by name or publish fotos of them, unless they are found guilty.

So the police charging somebody is actually in a way a protection.

All of my knowledge (or lack thereof) is about the UK system Stig.

But after a google, yes you can make a citizens arrest in France, assuming you either take them straight to the coppers or call them toute suite.

gMscglN.gif

Back