In The News...

I believe the proper context of that is that a person with a knife can cover 7 yards in the time it takes to draw, aim and fire a gun. I don't know if that is from Massad Ayoob, but it's been around a long time.

Dude got himself killed, simple as that.

I dont think that cops have a duty to shoot someone in the leg.

Saying that, I would like to see more de-escalation training for officers. Wasn't there some Vietnamese dude killed in Canada a while back that had a 2x4?

A man with a knife has a good chance of reaching his target before they can get a gun drawn, little different with a gun already drawn though.

The new lot of drugs emergency services deal with today are pretty bad. Lotsa different drugs can cause a person to need to be REALLY killed before they are approached. Tasers and gas are useless against them.

Like I said before though, with some of the right training, a lot of situations that arise can be solved with means that are not lethal.

I hate to say it but if the odd overreaction like that keeps one borderline psycho from pulling a knife or worse somewhere then so be it. I don't want clowns running around my streets thinking they can pull whatever kind of bizarro sh-t they want and be treated with kids gloves. I will never be shot down like that guy was, that's for certain.

Better training is cheaper than a trial and/or lawsuits, IMHO. Last I checked Canada hasn't the death penalty and people have a Charter right to life. Just speaking from someone who learned in the army life is precious, and individuals don't have the right to make that decision to take life away.

Soldiers are bound to follow strict rules of engagments, it's not a free for all in operational areas. Weapons tight is often the SOP. There is also a geneva convention that binds a soldier.

Edit: I can 100% say that in situations where I was scared shitless and feared for my well being I did not squeeze the trigger on a rattley old 1911 nor discharged rounds from a C7 (m16). After action reporting I was told I had 'every right to' but I don't believe that for a second.

Soldiers are bound to follow strict rules of engagments, it's not a free for all in operational areas. Weapons tight is often the SOP. There is also a geneva convention that binds a soldier.

Edit: I can 100% say that in situations where I was scared shitless and feared for my well being I did not squeeze the trigger on a rattley old 1911 nor discharged rounds from a C7 (m16). After action reporting I was told I had 'every right to' but I don't believe that for a second.

So in your opinion the Canadian armed forces has better training than Canadian law enforcement on rules of engagement?

Or this is just a case of that one officer overreacting? Obviously in your opinion the cops are to free in their application of force? I've gathered that from some of your other posts. But you'd have to agree here in Canada, atleast it seems this way where I live, that unless you go looking for trouble with the law. You're not going to have any. I mean it's not like they're out randomly victimizing innocent people going about their business.

Basically if you're not breaking the law and you don't get all bent out of shape at a cop, I don't foresee ever getting shot by one.

That was not the case with some of those jackwagons in New Orleans. I remember hearing about some of that crap, send chills down your spine.

The inability for some areas to police their own police is concerning. We are talking about probably less than a tenth of a percent. But it happens.

I didn't specify Canadian soldiers, it pretty much covers any NATO or SEATO forces. I'm sure any combat veteran can define engagment rules they had to abid by.

I believe the proper context of that is that a person with a knife can cover 7 yards in the time it takes to draw, aim and fire a gun. I don't know if that is from Massad Ayoob, but it's been around a long time.

Perhaps Dave. It was Ayoobs book I read 30 years ago or so. Anyone willing to use deadly force to defend their life or the life of another should have that info (or best available info now) in their memory banks. Only if you knew it before the incident can the jury be educated by it before they decide your fate.

So now we are talking about covering said ground before someone can draw, aim and fire, before we were talking about squeezing a trigger.

Can you guys make up your minds?

If we simply argue by quoting obscure gun books, I'll raise you one by saying that Bill Jordan would have that person dead before he had taken the second step.

Stig, I'm just clarifying what has been commonly accepted as the distance where a gun starts to loose its edge. Merle had presented a couple of definitions that were not accurate representations of that. Jordan was an exception, not the rule.

If the toronto police are too chickenshit to disarm a drug addled boy with a pen knife they should call me. Ill do it for free.

Well that would make me feel safe alright. We could have all our cops walking around with billy clubs and helping old people cross the street and if it hits the fan they just speed dial treegongfu!

I do follow his thought pattern though. I would've had a hard time I believe yielding to that putz with the knife. Not to mention that usually I have my own knife as well.

Yup on going problem coming out of North Africa.
When my wife and I back packed most of Egypt we ran into many western women who tagged along with us on our travels. Their word was the Egyptian and Sudanese immigrant men were the creepiest men on earth.
I had a few tussels with a few of the more aggressive ones to make them back off from some unlucky women.

Stig, I'm just clarifying what has been commonly accepted as the distance where a gun starts to loose its edge. Merle had presented a couple of definitions that were not accurate representations of that. Jordan was an exception, not the rule.

I know that.

I just got pissed off at Merle, trying to discuss a video, he hasn't even bothered to look at.
It spilled over on you, sorry.

Hell of a difference between drawing, aiming and firing, and what Merle posted, simply pulling the trigger.

I'll buy your version, with a big maybe.
Having been training in bladed and blunt weapons for a long time and guns when I lived in the US, I really can't see the me with a knife reaching the me with the gun from 7 feet away, before I'm blown apart by the bullet.

But then I trained the fast draw and fire a lot.

Anyway, the poor mentally disturbed simpleton in the video was NOT a person trained in the use of a knife.
Nor was he especially dangerous, since he was just standing in the door and shouting a bit.
He even let the bus driver go as the last person.

So something of an overreaction to pump him full of lead IMO.

Well that would make me feel safe alright. We could have all our cops walking around with billy clubs and helping old people cross the street and if it hits the fan they just speed dial treegongfu!

Justin, quite honestly, no bullshit.

Would you have had a problem taking that kid down with a " billy club"?

I don't think so.

Back