In The News...

CNN showed the spire going over. Then they showed it again from a different angle. Then they showed it 5 more times all from different angles. We get it CNN, the spire fell down. Thanks for shocking and desensitizing me all in the same minute of footage.

You going to donate to the rebuild efforts, Mick? Or supply some replacement oak logs? I was interested to read about the sheer volume of wood in the roof:
The trees that made up the roof's wooden structure were cut down around 1160, and some sources estimate that the beams accounted for 13,000 trees, or about 21 hectares of Medieval forest, many of which had been growing since the 800s or 900s. "You have a stage in France where deforestation was a problem; these buildings consumed huge amounts of wood." That's according to Columbia University art historian Stephen Murray, who spoke with Ars Technica. All that wood, he said, supported an outer roof of lead—until the wood burned and the roof collapsed.
Notre Dame Cathedral will never be the same, but it can be rebuilt

I guess I’ll be contributing with my rather large tax bill, but no grumbles.

I doubt I’ll be supplying any wood, they’ve rather bigger outfits for that.

It's sad really but nothing lasts forever. I am just surprised that such a historical structure didn't have fire sprinklers.

I'm with Jim on that one.

The huge cathedrals are obscene buildings, simply made to remind us all of the power of the (whatever) church.

We have one in Roskilde, my second closest city https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roskilde_Cathedral

Cunningly placed on top of a hill, so no matter what side you approach the city from, you get the message.

Apparently the owner wasn't awake when that burned in the late 70es.

Funny thing is, they have recently buildt a powerplant in Roskilde and turned it into an architectural masterpiece.

Half the people in the city hate it, because it is bigger than the cathedral.
Makes for some good discussions.

It is lit up from within, in different colors.
For saint Patrick's day, it goes green.

When that thing goes in dark red mode, it looks like something from Mordor.

I love it.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=ener...ktXhAhVomYsKHTI3AB8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1760&bih=851

Luckily most people don’t feel the need to strut their oh so predictable moral position on everything.

They can just appreciate a superb achievement built by men 800 years ago, and feel sadness at its near destruction, whether they’re God botherers or not.

Well, predictable moral position or not, I'm still wondering why the owner didn't turn the fire off.

Isn't that sort of what the whole thing is about.

So your superb achievement is an obscene statement to some of us.

You'll have to live with that, I think.

I did.

I think it was Hannibal Lecter, who , as a hobby, collected newspaper clippings of churches falling down or burning, killing the people worshipping.

Oh, the irony.

Nothing serious Mick.

And yes I know it was a landmark....treasure....beautiful....and all that.

But gawdalmighty they could have fed a pile of orphans and housed a mess of single mothers with all that scratch.

Maybe I am becoming a bit of a pinko in my old age.

Kinda the way I feel about the Vatican Jim. I would still like to take the $.50 tour of Notre Dame tho, the wife unit has been there twice. Doubt I ever make it. Like Mick said, “superb achievement built by men 800 years ago”. Love looking at old architecture and just envision the work being done.

Back