In The News...

While it was doing what?
Not the world's most docile creature.

That is why I mentioned rear naked choke.
Backside seems the only safe side.

Not nescessarily. I know a guy who was attacked by a juvenile cougar back in high school. His dad took a couple whacks at it with a stick/limb and it gave up and buggered off. A juvenile cat in February attacking a full-size man was probably doing so out of desperation and may have already been in a compromised state. Cougars rarely attack humans.

I can see a juvenile making a half hearted attack on a moving target.

This is all based on my in depth knowledge of cougar physiology and attack methodology you understand!

I'm guessing it was sick or starving or both. Desperate and not at the top of its game. Cougars are fairly common around here. The odd one attacks some livestock or a dog now and then but I've only ever heard of the one attacking a human and sightings in residential interface areas are fairly common. I've seen probably two handfuls of cougars in my lifetime from very formidable looking to meh, run away kitty. Not that I would want to tangle with any one of them, but I'd go out fighting that's for sure.

They figure it was less than a year old and probably inexperienced.

Indeed it is a bit hard to envision how he did it, because as noted above, even with a good choke hold of some kind, in the 10 seconds it is going to take for the cat to pass out from being choked, he's probably going to be twisting around and shredding your punk ass to ribbons

It does look like a prison. I'd be pissed too if I lived there.
Saw a few people ruin their day with concertina wire. And a dog that got caught up in it chasing some asshole.

Bullets in my neighbourhood last night. I know the house. It's about 1/2km away from my place. Right were my kid gets off the school bus. Crazy shit. I had the new owner who just bought a year ago pegged as some form of drug dealer.

The gist of it I guess is the homeowner sustained injury but one of the robbers is dead and the other is now in police custody. Targeted burglary.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--2-.htm

That's what I said. Down where the house is its smallish lots. Like 1/2acre kind of a scene. Neighbours on both sides who's homes would only be like 100'-150' away, houses both sides of the street. Cops crawling all over the hood today.

I tangled with a feral "normal" cat about 70 feet up once...doing a rescue for a neighborhood organization...they took up a collection to save poor kitty. Cat jumped from his perch across in front of me towards another limb to escape me. I instinctively reached out and caught it by the tail between my 3rd and 4th fingers. It went bonkers, I was all WTF do I do now. In the process of changing my grip to it's neck I took 2 bites to the hand and was really pissed off...really wanted to kill the mofo. I stuffed his ass in the bag and took him down.

Just a normal size cat is a hand-full of madness and havoc...80 pounds? The ranger said the runner used rocks (in his hands as weapons I assume) at first...probably stunned the cougar some. Otherwise I don't see how he could keep a healthy cougar from writhing and twisting away. I agree with Stig, it would have to be done from the back of the cat but the cat had to be in a compromised state.

Sweeps and chokes are best done when the victim is off balance or stunned...preferably stunned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9JtZ9hOq6Q

Glad we’re back on the cougar thing.

Here’s a vid of a cougar attacking a Doberman (the Doberman survives unscathed thanks to a spiked collar, otherwise I wouldn’t post it)

Some points to consider.

Within 2 seconds the battle is effectively over, the dog is rolled over and in a death grip.

It looks like on larger prey a cat like that goes for strangulation, something we have all seen on nature programmes, big cats taking down large herbivores. The idea that it’ll come in and rip you to shreds (how I saw it) is erroneous.

Anyway, interesting stuff. Glad I’ve had other people with whom to talk about it.

Good video...amazing the dog made it. He was almost a goner. Agree on the strangulation but sometimes the bite breaks/damages the spine...quicker than the air or blood choke.

I think the shredding just happens as the legs/paws stabilize the victim.

True, he moved round to the top of the neck later, whether that was by choice or due to the dogs efforts to escape, I dunno.

I have choked a few people...sometimes you move to improve your own safety or efficiency. I had to use a choke as a restraint once until the cops got there (I couldn't afford myself the luxury of just making them unconscious and waiting beside a choked out person). Anyway, when the cop got there I had a tree between me and the chokee..it's hard to explain but stretching the victim backwards around the tree helped with leverage needed to keep things safe for both of us. The cop was kinda bumfuzzled by the picture. I just said, "when I let go this dance is all yours".

For sure. Interested to hear that one too Gary.

I am a natural born choker it seems. My instinct has always been to grab and subdue someone vs just pummelling them continuously. When I used to mix it up more regularly in my youth the choke was my go to move and I choked a number of different people unconscious. I recall being amazed at how fast someone goes unconscious when actually being choked out. Also I recall each time being very concerned that I had possibly killed someone.

One time that vividly stands out in my memory was in my 20's at a house party. This huge fat dude came for me(over a girl of course). He swept me up in a bear hug and I didn't know if he was going to toss me, slam me, or what. But as he did it my arms went right around his neck and within seconds he collapsed like a sack of potatoes and as he fell I remember his shoe coming off his foot and he's just lying there on the ground with one shoe off. I don't know why but that image of him collapsing and that shoe sliding off as we went down has always stuck with me. I also remember when he awoke he claimed to atleast have no recollection of the whole thing. And despite no memory of it apparently the original beef was settled.

Yup, it sure found out that there is a huge diference between walking around with your guy in the tall riding boots, making sure the pesky jews stay in the camp and playing for keeps with a big kitty cat.

Would have made my day if the cat had won.

Mick, as for the big cats not ripping their prey/attackers apart, read some of what the "white hunters" of Africa write about Leopard.

Talk about having 5 business ends.

Back