Pollarding and Haircuts...

Chris, I have a feeling you and I would get along. Lol!

Same with Ed.

I am all for what is right, but if you want me to make a ducky out of the tree, ducky it is. Whilst working in Germany, I used to loathe hard reductions until I caught on that a 5% reduction can take for ever, a 50% reduction takes minutes :P

Same with Ed.

I am all for what is right, but if you want me to make a ducky out of the tree, ducky it is. Whilst working in Germany, I used to loathe hard reductions until I caught on that a 5% reduction can take for ever, a 50% reduction takes minutes :P

Dammit! Someone else has figured it out.

Same with Ed.

If I cant do a reduction in 3 cuts, I'm not interested.

Also, teasing arborists who get all fussy about 'proper' tree pruning is so easy. And so much fun.

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/63pollarding/

Going to do some studying on a Honey Locust we have. May be a way of keeping it long term.

Go for it! Pollards are cool! They are the perfect tree as long as you leave out the word, natural, lol. Fruitless Mulberry used to be my favorite because they were so malleable that you could shape and structure them anyway you wanted and because they would put on massive amounts of growth each year you would see results quickly.

If I cant do a reduction in 3 cuts, I'm not interested.

Also, teasing arborists who get all fussy about 'proper' tree pruning is so easy. And so much fun.

This scoundrel is a troll. I urge you ban him at once!!!

But Lol, you do have a point. For some it is like a religion.

Back on topic, while I'm no fan of topping, I am a fan of a proper pollard. They do not exist in my corner of the world because there is no continuum of care (or education) here.

Be well. Merry Christmas and such to all!

We should send Ed over to TreeBuzz.
Those holier than thou guys would think he was Satan himself.

Nate, you are right.
It is an age old tradition, that has no place anywhere else, than where it originated, for the exact reason you stated.

Our local, very leftist The Evergreen State College campus.
a80eae78-eac9-11e4-8365-900f4c4eeb0b-1020x680.jpg

random internet image, in leaf.
may-24-2014-vines-025.jpg

These trees have a continuum of care. Sycamores, I believe. Possibly London Planetree.

Tangent:

I think that they have adopted a no-tree-removal policy.

From what I hear from a qualified, pro arborist friend, their Grounds staff pull off some shady rental lift tree work.

Sean your post confuses me a bit, are you suggesting pollarding is a sign of leftist political tendancies, and dodgy tree work?
Or are you being tongue in cheek? (Which seems increasingly likely now I see it written down!)

This is TIMBER COUNTRY, as background.

Tree care is respected here by some, scoffed at by others, oblivous to many.

I've seen a little bad pollard-type heading/ topping. One local insurance company office just needs the annual sprouts cut 3" shorter, to the collar, to properly produce the 'knuckle' (I believe, as I know only a bit about pollarding, with no hands on experience), but the annual sprouts get stubbed off.

Fruit tree pruning is a bit like pollarding tree care, while not being pollarding at all. Annual sprouts accumulate from old nodes, leading over time to knuckles that want to resprout, sorta, on an old tree. These are usually when a stub has been left, initially, rather than a proper cut.

Some old fruit trees around here are maintained as effectively pollards, removing all spouts annually, and preventing fruit formation, I believe, by not having 2 year old wood on apples.

This campus work is quality tree care, in a very specialized, stylized way.

This part is outsourced to an arborist.

Leftist comments are about the crazy tree hugging, and then candle-light vigils that will happen when a big, old rotten tree falls on campus and kills someone. 2 vigils, one for the tree, one for the dead person. And I'm a tree hugger, that in most places would be center, maybe center-left a bit, but here, I'm the white, male, capitalist to the right.

Worker safety is a leftist value, compared to the capitalist pig that will exploit the worker...but leave it to the guys that mow the lawns and maintain the sprinklers.

I think that the College does have a good local arborist as a consultant. Heresay on the NO CUTTING, but very believable.

P. S.

Its easy for me to ramble/ get off track/ etc when the post exceeds the 2" in the Quick Reply box, and its a little cold in the house this morning, and I get cold stupid easily being uninsulated. I used the heat pump last night over building a fire in the wood stove. Oh yeah, and there is all that coffee without a lot of food.

Back