Novel MS200T Cutting Grip?

Jomo

TreeHouser
Now this can apply to other climb saws, but the 200T allows me to cut with my upper bar(14" using an unusual gripping method, perhaps unused by others.

With the saw running I grip the upper trigger portion of the saw in my left hand, and with my right hand I grab the ropeclip at the back end of the saw for leverage between each hand. I do this only on vertical trunk wood, cutting with my upper bar. So my left hand pinkie is controlling the throttle.

Here's a vid of the gripping method I'm trying to determine whether any other removal climbers have ever used?

http://youtu.be/QadqcPOtiZM

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
NO way. Thats dangerous and you should be arrested by the YouTube police.:evil::P

Of course, I have never even seen a top handle saw, so you know.

Could it be that your chain is dull?

This is the hands on cutting ape that despise dull saws thread my land lubber friend, do you mind?

Jomo

I'm a munchkin climber prone to holding on to my trimsaw as long as I possibly can, and have rattled many a muffler off all my 200T's provin it!

http://youtu.be/xnu7RQVZ1Lw

But have found that regardless of saw size, cutting with my upper bar, particularly on vertical trunk wood's the better and quicker method, in that it's throwing cuttings out of the cut, rather than packing cuttings into the cut using the bottom of the bar.

Therefore I'll turn my 200 upside down at times to throw chips rather than pack them, when cutting fat laterals up close to the trunk so as to leave no stinkin stubs.

But that's just me, though I'll bet money I'm not the only bloke who does that either!

Jomo

The direction of the chip throw would be different but the quantity of chips traveling through the cut and/or getting packed in would be the same.

Take into consideration my wimpiness though!

I'm cutting 27 inch dia wood with a 14 inch bar, and 39 inch dia wood with a 20 inch bar!

Bein a wimp is rough I'm tellin yu!

Jomo

There's something about spotting or aligning your lateral cuts on vertical trunk wood using the flat side of your saw too.

And to do so pretty much demands your cuts be made usin top of your bar, pushin rather than pullin chips.

http://youtu.be/3XqyGoE2Q4Y

Jomo

The direction of the chip throw would be different but the quantity of chips traveling through the cut and/or getting packed in would be the same.

If "cut" includes the chain's passage through the saw?

I suspect most saw's chain shroud cover'd clog up quicker pullin, than they do pushin.

Jomo

I don't think that I could do that comfortably. I often use a hand on the strop, but turning my front hand over would seem alien & reduce control too much for my liking

I find myself leaning against the very trunk wood I'm cutting into, impossible for the saw to kick back into me without cuttin all that wood between me n the top cuttin edge of my bar first! Worst it can do is push harder than you can and force you out of the cut path, something trim saws generally aren't powerful enough to do, than say 044 class saws n up?

Jomo

Back