Your Oldest piece of kit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, that's awesome. How have you kept the eyelets in them? Every pair of boots I own eventually wears out it's eyelets, which get sharp, and start eating up laces. . . I need to find a leather worker. . .

My oldest tool in my kit is close to a 100 years old passed down from my Grandfather. Pulls out nails when I need to move a customer's fence.
Funny coincidence August posted on Facebook the same tool last week :D

Attachments

• 20151213_220757.jpg
    20151213_220757.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 45
Sean...is that a chuck and duck..? You ain't skeered of it? I see them around cheap but scared some kids gonna chip himself with one....

I would wager than at least 90%, if not 95% of the worst accidents are hydraulic feed wheel chippers.

Here's the safety lesson in a nutshell, "This is called a Chuck and Duck, not a Chuck and watch it eat and get the shit beat out of you by the brush coming through here. Feed from the side, flowing out of the work area, don't turn back into the work area, where the next guy will be coming to feed it. Feed it using the big steel shield as a big steel shield. Do not put your hand within the feed chute (beyond the tray, where it tapers). Repeat 1) chuck and duck (not run like hell or anything), 2) use the big steel shield, 3) don't put your hand where it can be crushed between the wood and the steel chute, as with the general overarching rule of don't put yourself where you can be crushed.

Mine is 9x16, telescoping and swiveling round chute with deflector. The entire chute also raises and lowers.

4400 pounds. I move it all the time to the brush with the mini. Greatly cuts hauling chips, leaves the chip bed open for wood or nothing.

Chrysler 318LA (light industrial, IIRC) bulletproof v8. Chipper made by Wayne, 1975. Wayne and FMC were/ are connected. They make a lot of stuff, including garbage truck compactor rigs, and other big equipment.

It eats! Tough enough for the mini to feed it. Needs more finesse than with a hydraulic chipper, I reckon.

On flat ground, I can move it by hand. Very little tongue weight, like a 100-150 pounds, very balanced on the axle. I can lift it and spin it by myself on hard flat ground, with some grunting. Two guys, for sure. Using chocks to your advantage, you can do a lot to position by hand on a hill.

I've had that chipper since 2007. The hour meter has been on 3800 for at least 7 years. I put a new muffler, hand paint, lettering, 2 used tires, a plastic fuel tank after sediment problems. One clutch. blade sharpening. Tabs. Some carb work a couple times, in part due to the sediment in the old tank. Alternator. Starter. Misc. this and that. $2450 purchase price plus maybe $2-3000 in parts and pro labor, plus my labor.

Pretty much runs better than when I got it. Starts without issue.

I think I could sell it for 3500 pretty easily.

Likes fir limbs, maple, alder, hemlock.

Doesn't like dead so much. eats dead better tip first.

Doesn't like madrone's twisty nature. Oak needs more pre-cutting. Again, twisty branches.

Keep it sharp. Feeds fast.

Oh shit I laughed the whole time I read that. Great narrative. Very thorough detailed description. Thank you for explaining that, Sean. Definitely opened my eyes to it.

I love it.

Sounds scary as hell but worthy.

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I still have my first pair of hand pruners. Finally bought a pair about 13 years ago. I've used them a ton and never lost them!

love
nick

I lose mine for a while and as soon as I buy a new pair I find them. A guy I work with has a pair about that old. Actually about two dozen pair. He said his old boss gave him a box of them and said two dozen pairs in five years was less than half of any other employee so do what he wants with them.

Oh shit I laughed the whole time I read that. Great narrative. Very thorough detailed description. Thank you for explaining that, Sean. Definitely opened my eyes to it.

I love it.

Sounds scary as hell but worthy.

Scary as hell if you reach in (bad idea) while someone is feeding it (bad idea), much like a hydraulic machine. Just fine if you pay attention while working with a hungry machine. The Bandit 250 I used at SPs was way more of man eater. Do I reach into the chute? Yes, sometimes, when I'm area of the situation and risks. If you're behind the tray or on the side, you can't touch the blades without being 6'6".

Just like don't put body parts in the follow-through area of a chainsaw.

Most CnD's are small and have a minimally adjustable or non-adjustable square chute, possibly with a side discharge. PITA. Maybe I can get a video. Its really nbd, imo.

Back