Your Oldest piece of kit

Grendel

TreeHouser
And I would define "Kit" broadly.

What is the oldest bit of gear in your arsenal that you still use regularly? Could be a ratty old sling that you still find yourself grabbing, or your favorite old chainsaw. Maybe a porty with grooves worn in it, or your work truck with a million miles. Old boots? Helmets with lots of character? Co-workers? Anything well used yet important!

Pictures would be cool, sideways phone pics are fine 8)

I'd start but I'm stuck at the office for another hour. More later.

Cheers.

Hmm.... quick thinking comes up with my dump trailer. It's a 2006 that I bought in October, 2010. It was totaled a month later (oncoming driver turned in front of me). I bought it back, fixed it, and kept running it. It tipped over hauling a pine tree back in April of this year. Fixed it and kept running it.

Dump Trailer Wreck.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/USlsAE1UMN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nZF8ca4i-Gs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBQDdnOXsjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use an 8 Ton swivel block , reeves 3/4" . Heavy steel , though not hand wrought the old (prob WW2) manufacture is impressive. Mostly used as a redirect for pull trees.

Haha true, and you probably have the oldest tree gear I've bought too. I bet that 1/2" Stable Braid is still sitting on the spool!

The wreck wasn't too hard on me, Samuel. I did make his insurance pay fairly dearly for dragging out the settlement. (Didn't sue, but I did leverage them). Luckily Scott was working with me that day and was only a mile up the road to gather my stuff and haul me home.

e457a0d79a85da118e1cb0174222cc74.jpg

That 046 I bought in the 90s, till it got stolen a month ago!

I still use a custom built New Tribe harness I acquired in 1995.

Have some Stihl saws older than that, still making chips like demons.

My first saddle...still have it. Don't use it...:D. A buddy and I bought it to do tree work in a big ice storm. Brutal.

Attachments

• IMG_1126 (2) RESZD 1.jpg
    IMG_1126 (2) RESZD 1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1130 (2) RESZD 2.jpg
    IMG_1130 (2) RESZD 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 72
I probably have y'all beat.
My old wedge beater that I inherited from my mentor.
His father was a pro logger, too, and used it his whole life, then Paul got it.
Since he only had daughters, who, for some obscure reason, didn't take up logging, he passed it on to me when he retired.
My guess is it is 100 years old, give or take a few.
Used it today to knock a Doug fir on it's ass. Best wedge beater, I've ever come across, and probably my most prized possesion because of it's provenance.

I have a Stihl saw and scrench that came with it that I traded for woodwork and go back almost thirty years. The saw is large and still works well, but to qualify for regular use would have to be the scrench.

IMG_20140613_171105024[3].jpg

Hope to upgrade truck (1990 F600) and chipper (1975 Wayne) in 2016. I will keep the chipper. Its hungry.

My oldest piece of gear is my TL-29, military issue.

I popped open open many a side panel of an A-7E with it! :beer:

post-778-1190612869.jpg

My oldest piece of kit used to be the 51 Willyz. Good for felling out in the woods jobs and the winch came in handy.
I guess the oldest thing I got now is my 80 F-350 since I lost my old axe :(

Pruning knife from 1986...has my maiden name carved into it...Dempster

i havent been at it for nearly as long as some of you guys. ive had these boots for 12 years or so, also still have the weaver saddle i started with. IMG_1819.jpg

Back