Carbon fiber pole pruner sections

Spyder mfg. makes some,they are way stronger than the blue b-lite jamesons ,also seen a listing on bailey's for a CF pole. The spyder mfg. ones are not cheap,but sure are a nice change.

offshore spars sells pole sections by the foot. Looks like around $50 a foot for 1.5" carbon pole, 1/8in wall. :O
I really like the wood poles, bamboo works great as well!

I've only seen those on the interweb,my buddy buys the blue ones that spyder manufacturers produces,and they are friggin expensive,but nice,they are listed as fiberglass but feel like CF.
he buys the big poles,a few older ones broke and i got the mini pieces. imma put together a few fine pruning poles with em.

I think the weak link in poles is the ferrules connecting them, they aren't strong at all and wear out fast. Imo, a good solution would be threaded ferrules which would give plenty of strength to the connection and then you could still have the male/female snap thingy to prevent unscrewing during use. I use one-piece 12 or 14' fiberglass poles which perform well but are a bit of a hassle to store, and they still have a ferrule connection between the pole and the saw. I finally removed the snap thingy and bolted and glued the ferrule. So now it is strong, but you lose the ability to easily add on a 6' pole extension for those rare occasions when you want 18' of length.

Combining carbon fiber with a bomber connection system would be awesome. Nick Bonner, are you listening??;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got an email from Matt from Spyder. He said they're really flexible. I didn't expect that. Lightweight, strong, but wobbly.

Maybe that's okay on a pole pruner...not so much on a saw?

love
nick

No good for either I would think, too wobbly makes it hard to easily get the pole on those small, high, wispy cuts.

Anybody else besides me agree the common ferrule connection between poles is junk?

I made a suggestion above, involving ferrules that screw together instead of being clipped together by that little nubby affair that tries to stay in the hole it snaps into. The current ferrules will pull apart under heavy pulling such as when pulling a stubborn hanger or when you get the saw blade stuck in the kerf :|:, and the connection gets very sloppy with use over time because the hole gets wallered out/egg shaped. And eventually the ferrules disconnect off the fiberglass poles as the rivets holding them get sloppy and break.

Imo, ferrules should be glued and bolted to the pole sections and the ferrules connecting one pole section to another should be threaded into each other for a tight, non sloppy fit.

IMO when a pole section starts falling apart it really doesn't owe me anything I got my monies worth out of it. I have some that are ten years and are getting to be a PITA to use but how much cash have they made me.

Thats true, flushcut, but it seems like such a waste of a tool, the fiberglass still has loads of life left when the ends get sloppy.

I've replaced a couple of ends.
The ferrules can be purchased seperately, and aren't that much of a PITA to change. (drill out rivet, replace with bolt and locknut).

edit- referring to Jameson or Marvin poles. I dunno if them's what you are referring to, Cory

Thats what I do, but it would be nice if it weren't necessary.

Have you guys had 2 sections pull apart while in use?:X

Ive had it 2 or 3 times so I went to 12' sections

Back