ShelterLogic Canopy 10x20, on sale, $100

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I am thinking about one of these for a somewhat sheltered area.

Thoughts? Experiences?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304845_200304845
55418_2000x2000.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just got the under the house garage door handle changed on the old flat panel door, meaning now I can unlock and drive in from outside in my car, my main kid transporter.

The garage door is in a little 'lane' between two retaining walls, as the house is on a slope, with a dug-out basement. 004.jpg

If I can drive under this canopy, I can get in and out in the dry space to manually open and close the garage door. Trying to keep stuff dry in this climate gets old. My pick-up will be able to be under cover, as well, which is nice, allowing me to grab stuff while its raining, without raingear and such. Shop space is developing in the basement. I can get my car, mini, or chipper in there. If I want to drive my pick-up in, I"ll have to flatten the tires 1-1.5" to clear the door with the ladder rack.

I figure that it will be good for firewood storage if/ when I get around to building a carport out in the driveway leading to the door.

I'm also considering this one http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200511175_200511175 for $200. Convertible.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/670/67093_2000x2000.jpg
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/670/67093_1_2000x2000.jpg

Rain cover, and covered work area for warm and sunny days.

We'll see.

Can't buy everything. Sure would be good to get out of the rain.

They don't last but a few years. Get one that has replacement tarps available. And tie it down.

My former neighbor had one tied to cinder blocks. It landed upside down in his back yard and the blocks ruined the frame. Tie it to something substantial

Good idea about finding replaceable covers. All I want/ expect out of it is a couple years. I'll pay $100 a year to have a covered parking space out of the rain with access to the house.

I figure a double layer of 2x4, offsetting the joints, on each side will make a good base to anchor the feet. I can add weight on top of the 2x4s. When it comes time for something more permanent, I can run a couple 2x4's from side to side, and four people can pick it up and move it as a unit.

I have heard the cheaper ones need the cover replaced every 2-3 years. +1 on the tie down to prevent blow away. Also they do not handle snow loads. I think the round frame ones handle snow weight better than the "A" or "gable" roof ones. This is all based on reading reviews when I was looking into getting one to park my mowing trailer in, I have since decided to by an enclosed trailer instead.

We rarely have snow, and I will remove it if it comes. Thanks for that reminder.

Shipping is pricey. $51.49 on the cheaper, simpler one, and $62 on the convertible one.

Might be better to search one out locally.

I have one. They are really not meant to be in the weather 24/7, kinda flimsy, mostly for parties, put it up, take it down.

c45b10b5-b6cc-40eb-b966-a599643fd6d6_145.jpg

The permanent goal is to do something wood framed with translucent, corrogated plastic roofing, if the landlords approve the projects materials and labor in lieu of rent, as it is a very nice property improvement for out climate. That's our arrangement. They have many properties. I have skills, tools, crew.

I can have that ordered, and up in no time, and be able to sell it cheap or re-use for equipment.

Our bad winter weather is not that bad. The house shields the main wind.

Hard to find anything locally, online, to offset shipping. Home Depot and Walmart prices are higher than online with shipping added for ShelterLogic.

You can always buy it and beef it up with more bracing. That thought has crossed my mind once or twice with mine.

For $100, I might maybe consider one...just barely. But I've seen several of that sort blow down, crush under relatively light snow loads, and have the fabric covers wear out in less than 2 years when situated in direct sun.

And my own experience with a carport, wood posts and framing with painted steel roofing so that while mine will last for a very long time, without siding (which mine has on the two long sides), it's startling how much weather gets in under the roof.

Your proposed location may well avoid some of these issues...and like I said, for $100, may well be worth it.

But last...your anchoring system needs to be effing robust, Sean. A few layered 2x4's are most likely not going to cut it. You need some stout hold downs...serious weight, like 200+ pounds per corner, or deep stakes all along the lower frames.

YUP...
I see the frames for free all the time at yard sales. "Just Needs Cover".
Also find one about ever other year in my yard after a good storm .....
It would have to come from at lease 20-40 acres away.

Hey Sean, just found this thread.
A month ago I put up a 24 ft ShelterLogic in my back yard to store my work trailer for the winter. Paid $650 for it and it's a well made unit, trick is follow directions and get the cover nice and tight. It'll take 60 below and lots of snow. At the foot of each rib I screwed foot long anchors into the ground with my impact wrench. Attached each anchor with supplied cables and clamps. Would take a hurricane to budge this shelter.

I put a garage door on the rear of my garage so I can pull the trailer or whatever else I have in my back yard straight though the garage through the front door.

Attachments

• 20151029_140247.jpg
    20151029_140247.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20151029_174801.jpg
    20151029_174801.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 17
Well, yeah. Totally different product, no real relation to Sean's $100 cheapy.

Pointless post, sorry to say it.

I ought to be more forgiving, but sadly, am not. Character flaw of mine in this case, I must admit.

I only have 10' width to work with, and am sorta looking at a stop-gap, short lifespan, cheap option.

I moved my mini out of the basement garage. With having lived in Chicago for 20 years or so, Lake Tahoe at 6500' and 8900', rainy Olympia for almost 10 years, etc, never having had a garage, much less a connected to the house garage, it felt good to slip my SUV in there this morning, just because I could. We are in for a week of heavy rain. It will be nice. I will still have to get out to close the door on the way out/ open the door on the way in, but it will be a great change. D will really like it.

I may still opt for something temporary. As is, I still have to get out and unlock and open the driveway gate. I will be looking into an automatic opener, but it may not jive with it being a back-up livestock gate.

Well seeing this thread was titled ShelterLogic 10 X 20, I thought my ShelterLogic 24 ft model may be a good alternative for you...brand new fully enclosed for an extra $500.:)

20' is pushing the length, as is. 15' would be more of a fit.

Most of the better ones looked to be wider. I guessed wrong. A large price jump, though. I'm in the market for cheap and shorter term, or building something permanent.

Back